• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1985-1992 BMW M3 nominated by GranTurismo916

Black_BMW_M3_E30_fr.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1985-1992
Style: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: S14B23 141 ci/2,303 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 192 HP & 170 lb-ft with a catalytic converter or 197 HP & 177 lb-ft without a catalytic converter), S14B23 EVO2 140 ci/2,302 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 212 HP & ??? lb-ft with a catalytic converter or 217 HP & 181 lb-ft without a catalytic converter), S14B23 EVO3 151 ci/2,467 cc naturally aspirated inline 4 (rated 235 HP & 177 lb-ft)
Transmission: Getrag 265 5-speed manual (dogleg pattern in Europe, H-pattern in North America)​

Oh my god. This is so overrated. And I'm also tired of every member and their dog asking for it in GT6.

Seriously uncool.

Like all BMW's from then, it's far too ugly to be anything but Seriously Uncool

487.gif

I used to think that way. Now I lust after an E30 and E34. I've been a fan of Bangle's for a long time, and won't deny his massive influence on the entire automotive industry since the 7's launch at the tail of 2001, but there is something to be said of the clean, simple lines of late 80's Bimmers. The fact this is the first-generation of one of the enthusiast nameplates counts for a lot. It's an homologation special, too. Sure, it's overrated now (and that's driving second-hand prices up to insane levels), but it's a (relatively) modern classic that absolutely deserves to be remembered.

Sub-Zero.

Meh. Not bad but too overrated and too many people keep asking for it in GT6. Most wished car next to Porsches.
But if it was an M5 E34, I'd vote Cool.

Cool. But it's so overrated it isn't even funny. Sure it's a great car, but I think the 190E is still better, and that is the one blocking this thing from SZ.

Went for Sub Zero on gut feeling.

The E30 is a combination of a number of factors. It's different enough from other E30s to stand out on the streets even to the lay person (I suspect), so gets a pass for the "cool old car" factor. That and they're remarkably small and dainty by modern standards, which also makes them stand out.

That it's a BMW is slightly uncool, because like it or lump it BMW drivers have "that" reputation. But I strongly suspect E30 M3 drivers don't conform to that stereotype, so the BMW factor is neutralised.

I also like the styling. It ties in to the eye-catching point above, but it hasn't really got any details you'd constantly be having to explain to passers-by, and it's not so over-the-top that it looks like you've modified it yourself.

On the negative side again, as other commenters have mentioned, it's held in such high esteem by some that it risks becoming overrated.

Still, Average Joe in the street would probably think "ooh" and as a car guy, I'd personally think "wow". It's also reputedly great fun to drive despite a modest power output by modern standards. And its spec spoke for itself on the track. That's a SZ in my book.

When i saw that old M3, i had to mention this baby.

640px-MW2012M3GTRE46.jpg

And i know that if i did point this out, it's an auto Seriously Uncool to myself. Feel free to bash that on me, but not in a rate of spam.

Back on point: I have a bit of affection for the M3 on the whole, but I don't exactly have an inner soft spot for this 'i won't shut up until Kaz gets his head on and puts this car as Gran Turismo DLC'. I am quite the Need For Speed enthusiast (getting Rivals soon), and that's how the M3 E46 got into my world.

To me, the E92 is too soft, this E30 too hard, and Goldilocks has her hair all over the E46 (too popular for me to like with passion).

And the E30 will not win sub-zero due to my preference of the 190E, especially in tier 1 in Grid 2, where the Merc is the one that took my heart when that choice is made. If Mercedes has a modern day equivalent, complete with big ass wing and modernized Merc tech, that will be cool. The wing alone will be an auto M3 killer. Shame the C63 Black didn't get that award in my eyes.

Also, if it was this DTM spec M3 GTR race car, it's sub zero for clueless fanboy-ism. For me, meh, cause it's not bad, nor good. But that doesn't mean i hate these Bavarian cock-o-meter breakers. Arguing with me while i nominate the Mustang GTR was this baby.

BMW 850i. Arguably my personal choice for a BMW sports car.

91-850-02.JPG

Like all BMW's from then, it's far too ugly to be anything but Seriously Uncool

lolwut?

Oh my god. This is so overrated. And I'm also tired of every member and their dog asking for it in GT6.

Seriously uncool.

lolwut?

Hand in your carguy cards.

Go drive one and you'll understand why it is nothing but Subber than Sub Zero.

Sure, it might be slightly underpowered for today's standards but the handling is just perfect. The sports transmission is excellent in this car, and the looks. Oh the looks. Just now BMW's are coming close to this design, as BMW's should look.

This car has been saved from being "overrated" by it's age. And what the kiddos ask for in GT6 is a moot point.

Where Sub zero gives you frost bite, this car is so deep in the cold it will flash freeze you.

Probably the most quintessential car-guy cars ever.

Therefore uncool.

Trying to explain the BMW naming convention to people makes you uncool too. Bonus uncool points if you talk about how the modern 3.0L is used across 328's or 335's and other non X30 models.

Sub-zero. Being a lover of BMW's from this era, the E30 being called ugly genuinely makes me sad.

People ask for it in GT because it's often considered to be one of the best RWD cars ever. So they're obviously going to want to race it in their favourite game.

It's a really nice looking car. A family friend has one he tracks on Motorsports Ranch near Cresson. That car looks wonderful coming down are street.

It's quick too. Plus I quite like small engines, especially four cylinders! The engine makes a really nice sound.

Whether the 190E was better in Group A or not, I personally have a love for BMW Motorsports cars. Z4 GT3 being one of them, E30 M3 Group A in the Warsteiner Livery is one of my favorite race cars of all time.

It seems like a nice car to live with as well. I'm young so I can take a harder ride, and sound doesn't bother me. Plus, like all E30's, you can use the window sill as an armrest. :lol:

But if you showed up to work, or school, or your girlfriends house, what would people think? Car enthusiasts would be all over it, asking questions and what-not. Regular people? Most people tend to know the M-Badge, plus the car has an added advantage of being old and rare. Judging by this, it should get a cool, just under sub-zero.

But maybe I'm biased, but I can't give this car anything less than Sub Zero!

Didn't even have to think about that one.

Over-rated? Maybe. Too much rabid, clamoring auto-lust by fans? Obviously. But does it deserve the adulation?

Let me put it this way... Steve McQueen's Bullitt was not, by any stretch of the imagination, the greatest movie ever made... and there were a whole lot of things in that iconic chase scene for critics to pick apart.

Doesn't stop it from being one of the coolest ever. Same with the M3. Not a perfect car, and not all that great compared to modern cars, looking back at it from nearly thirty years later, but it's still hella cool.

Sub-zero.

Technically it wasn't the M3's fault. It came around before I did. And so therefore I never knew it while it was around.

But the fact is, the only M3 I've really liked is the 2003 M3 GTR. I'm more of an M5 bloke. They've all appealed to me, apart from the 90s one.

One of the few M cars I like. Not sure yet what I should vote yet, so I'm going to wait.

Disclosure: I used to drive an E30 318i and I adore this car, so I'm horrendously biased. I wouldn't vote any less than Sub Zero on any day.

E30s in general are a quintessential driver's car; compact and a pure joy to drive, yet comfortable for long hauls and relatively practical. I would say they bridge a gap between the sophistication and engineering quality of the modern age with the lightweight simplicity of the cars of the mid-20th century. This has helped them to endure over the years, faring better than other BMWs of a similar vintage. Even M3s are daily-driven today, and not gingerly. The M3 is logically the best of the E30 range, and with a trophy-packed mantel and a bookcase full of accolades, it earned the praise it receives from its loyal fans. It may seem too highly rated, but there are almost as many who make that claim as there are people who love the car. If you think it's uncool because it's simply too popular, that's fair. If you think it's too popular because it's "slow," has a 4-cylinder, or can't compete with its successors, you're missing the point.

Everyone knows about the E30 M3's touring car exploits in Europe, but it also ran in the JTCC (GrA precursor to the JGTC), sharing a track with the mighty R32 GT-R, and it was a somewhat formidable rally car on tarmac stages:

Sub-Zero. Over-rated as all hell, but I still think the original M3 is cool, not as cool as the E46 or E92, but a tiny bit cooler that the E36 and miles ahead of the hideous new F-whatever number it is now (30?). I don't really understand how people find this car ugly, just a matte of opinion, I guess. Although, I think the E21 3-Series looks better.

Last edited:
This is THE CAR to which every other RWD sportscar will eventually be compared to. True, it's not the fastest, most powerful, prettiest or safest, but it IS the forefather of every modern sportscar that wants to be taken seriously. Only other car that comes close is the Cossie 190E 2.5 16v Evolution.

SUB ZERO.

Never liked this car til one time I was driving by our schools rival, he had a red one so clean pass by me. They kinda grew on me. This one,the E92 and the 8 series bmw's are the only ones I like. The rest I just do not like.

Cool.

The E30 leaves a weird taste in my mouth simply because of the strange reputation it has earned because of the Internet. For every enthusiast that enjoys a car such as this, there are eleventy thousand kids and uptight BMW fanatics who won't shut up about it. Just like the 240SX and the Corolla AE86, the community does it's best to ruin what is otherwise a good car.

Does that make it uncool? No. The performance, price, and overall reliability make it a winner with me. That, and for the most part, an average person won't know what it is. So, at the very least, it's cool.

Plus, we have it in Forza 5...

Back