Engines:
3.0L Turbo I6 (Nissan RB30ET)
Power: 201 hp
Torque: 218 lb-ft.
Weight: 1350 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan, 5-door wagon
Additional Info: "One of the most popular and regarded as one of the "best" Commodores ever made, the VL was the final Commodore made on the original architecture. As Holden's straight-6 and V8 engines weren't available to be run on 91-octane fuel (new laws passed in Australia as of 1st January 1986), the V8 was released later and the straight-6 was scrapped and an imported straight-6 from Nissan in Japan, the RB30E, was used.

The Turbo models have become a cult classic and are one of the most sought-after non-limited edition Commodores, because of their classic shape and easy-to-modify engine."​
01.jpg

vl-calais-turbo-manual-s2-front2.jpg

vl-calais-turbo-manual-s2-rear.jpg

29558_10151189285053918_1967874012_n_zps3a21174e.jpg

VLCalWag.jpg

post-9-1316513277337051973.jpg

1986-holden-vl-calais-v8-sedan.jpg

Looks great, but it's also just a saloon. The estate pictured with the pepperpot wheels knocks it down to uncool. As soon as you take the standard wheels away a lot of the effect is lost.

Quite reminiscent of the SD1, in a way.

Better styling than the VK Calais, but it basically amounted to hiding an Opel Senator under 80s Japanese makeup (either provided by Nissan or Toyota). I do like the two-tone paint though. In red/silver at least.

Uncool.

Last edited:
Hum, this is a tricky one to give a rating to...

On one hand, it is unique (for me, not sure if it is unique for Australian people that know the car well), the engine choice is great and it is pretty cool when running the same wheels as the main picture.

On the other hand, I can't get to grips with the design, the front reminds me a bit of the Oldsmobile Toronado and the rear reminds me of some generic late '80's sedan. And that last estate picture just makes the car looks low-budget (and not the cool kind of low-budget).

Huh... I don't think it's uncool, and the fact that it is somewhat unique doesn't make it meh. I guess I'll give a cool, because after all it is a Commodore.

As far as I'm aware the enthusiasts are super seriously uncool, but the car itself is pretty Cool. Hard to go wrong with an '80s FR with a turbo I6.

The poster child in Australia for the bogan vehicle of choice.

However because of it's fairly recent cult status the Calais Turbo is now priced well above the general Centrelink wages. In fact some are even more expensive on the market than its spiritual successor, the Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo (bear with me on that one).

So a few things actually make this somewhat cool. Pop-up headlamps, in fact the styling in general has some nice 80's charm to it. It's rear-wheel-drive (also I'm pretty sure like its half-brother the R31 Skyline Silhouette it was available with an LSD) and aside from Holden cocking up the placement of the radiator it was incredibly reliable.

Loses points because it hasn't quite and don't think it ever will shake its bogan history but otherwise it's a low Cool.

Let me guess... Because you're a Ford Fanboy and Holden/GM is your Worst Enemy? (not hating)

OT: Uncool For me.
Actually no. I pretty hate both of them. The reason: they have destroyed Australias car economy. In order for the two Aussie car companies to sell cars, the price of other cars here have been vastly increased, and then when you add the extra 30% luxury car tax, it costs $700,000 to buy an Aventador. Thanks Holden!

Actually no. I pretty hate both of them. The reason: they have destroyed Australias car economy. In order for the two Aussie car companies to sell cars, the price of other cars here have been vastly increased, and then when you add the extra 30% luxury car tax, it costs $700,000 to buy an Aventador. Thanks Holden!

You're kidding right?

The Australian government has "destroyed" Australia's car economy, not Ford and Holden, nor Toyota Australia or even MMAL.

Yes, the Luxury Car Tax is a discriminatory and mostly worthless tax, the Australian car manufacturers sure as hell didn't implement it themselves, did they? The government did in order to "protect" the local car industry. You're slandering the wrong people.

And, aside from all that anyway, the Australian car industry has been at its most competitive because there are the proverbial 🤬 load of imports that come under the threshold anyway. In fact due to changes in imports even European cars from manufacturers like Fiat, Citroen and Peugeot are better off than they have been in decades under importation by Ateco.

Finally, I'm sure the 1% that could afford an Aventador in the first place will be SO DISAPPOINTED that they can probably still afford it anyway.

You're kidding right?

The Australian government has "destroyed" Australia's car economy, not Ford and Holden, nor Toyota Australia or even MMAL.

Yes, the Luxury Car Tax is a discriminatory and mostly worthless tax, the Australian car manufacturers sure as hell didn't implement it themselves, did they? The government did in order to "protect" the local car industry. You're slandering the wrong people.

And, aside from all that anyway, the Australian car industry has been at its most competitive because there are the proverbial 🤬 load of imports that come under the threshold anyway. In fact due to changes in imports even European cars from manufacturers like Fiat, Citroen and Peugeot are better off than they have been in decades under importation by Ateco.

Finally, I'm sure the 1% that could afford an Aventador in the first place will be SO DISAPPOINTED that they can probably still afford it anyway.
I don;t want an aventador, i want an elise. Too bad they are 2 times as expensive here...

I don;t want an aventador, i want an elise. Too bad they are 2 times as expensive here...

The Luxury Car Tax isn't to blame for that either, at least pertaining to the standard Elise and the Elise Club Racer which are underneath the Luxury Car Tax threshold of $75,375 for fuel-efficient vehicles.

Still not Ford and Holden's fault either.

And the Aventador was the example you used. The highly irrelevant to the general public example.

The Luxury Car Tax isn't to blame for that either, at least pertaining to the standard Elise and the Elise Club Racer which are underneath the Luxury Car Tax threshold of $75,375 for fuel-efficient vehicles.

Still not Ford and Holden's fault either.

And the Aventador was the example you used. The highly irrelevant to the general public example.
Either way, they both annoy me. And i honestly thought the luxury car tax was around $70,000. Yes that was the example i used. Its still a legitimate reason to dislike them if you ask me.

Either way, they both annoy me. And i honestly thought the luxury car tax was around $70,000. Yes that was the example i used. Its still a legitimate reason to dislike them if you ask me.

The LCT is ~$61k, increased to $75k for vehicles that perform under 7L/100km on the ADR fuel consumption test.

Still not a legitimate reason to dislike the Australian car manufacturers. You're still blaming the wrong people.

The LCT is ~$61k, increased to $75k for vehicles that perform under 7L/100km on the ADR fuel consumption test.

Still not a legitimate reason to dislike the Australian car manufacturers. You're still blaming the wrong people.
But if they didn't exist, there would be no problem. In fact, if they just moved to a different country i would be like ok cool, thanks guys. i can like your cars again! Although i don't really like their cars anyway, so that probably doesn't help.

But if they didn't exist, there would be no problem. In fact, if they just moved to a different country i would be like ok cool, thanks guys. i can like your cars again! Although i don't really like their cars anyway, so that probably doesn't help.

Okay, let's gloss over the fact that you don't like the established range of Holden and Ford of Australia products (which are both going to be dying soon anyway). You still haven't actually proven that the non-existence of either of those brands would have actually benefited the country's car industry. The government would have still found a way to screw us over in that respect anyway.

Hell, until everyone started buying SUVs and "smaller" vehicles a few years ago the Commodore, the Falcon and to a lesser extent the Camry and Magna were the staple for cars that regular Australians actually wanted and needed.

The fact that the Commodore was the number one selling vehicle in Australia for 15 years in a row until 2011 should be proof enough of that. Even now with sales on the decline and the imminent shutdown of Holden and Ford, the VF Commodore is still in the top 10 for models.

Okay, let's gloss over the fact that you don't like the established range of Holden and Ford of Australia products (which are both going to be dying soon anyway). You still haven't actually proven that the non-existence of either of those brands would have actually benefited the country's car industry. The government would have still found a way to screw us over in that respect anyway.

Hell, until everyone started buying SUVs and "smaller" vehicles a few years ago the Commodore, the Falcon and to a lesser extent the Camry and Magna were the staple for cars that regular Australians actually wanted and needed.

The fact that the Commodore was the number one selling vehicle in Australia for 15 years in a row until 2011 should be proof enough of that. Even now with sales on the decline and the imminent shutdown of Holden and Ford, the VF Commodore is still in the top 10 for models.
Really? I thought holden was just moving to asia somewhere? Anyway, its up to you whether or not you like the company, but i honestly don't. Its not just for the reasons i have given, there are others, but thats another story. :)

It has that 80's GM(N.A.) look to it. I know it's wrong, but I like that.

Edit: And the front screams Isuzu, while rear is going MAZDA! I love this car. :lol:

Back