United States
Wasilla, AK
1986 Chevrolet Corvette Indy Concept nominated by smskeeter23

View attachment 80632
View attachment 80631

Stats:
Production: 1986
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 350 ci/5,735 cc naturally aspirated DOHC V8 (rated 380 HP & 370 lb-ft)
Transmission: 3-speed automatic
Layout: Mid-engine, All-wheel-drive​

My take? Cool, except for that horrible transmission. Apparently, the body is so slippery that, despite having only 380 HP (and a horrible transmission), it can hit 210 MPH. It also runs 0.60 in 4.7 seconds, despite the ridiculously tall gears that must be required to hit 210 MPH with only three forward speeds.

Last edited:
The one and only reason that this gets a meh rather than an uncool is because of Corvette Racing for the GBA.

The back end is ok but the front isn't.

This reminds me of a hot wheels I got once from McD's as a kid when they use to do their hot wheels happy meal month.

So uncool, along with all things Corvette related in the 80's. As a Vette fanatic the 80s is a decade I casually pretend doesn't exist for Corvettes.

Meh, but I did get to see it when I went to the Corvette Museum a few years ago.

Shame a C5-R or C6.R wasn't there...

A flashy concept showing what a mid-engined Corvette which no one ever asked for might look like if anybody had ever asked for it?

Seriously uncool.

Doesn't have the distinct vibes that the proper Corvette has. Meh.

= Seriously Uncool.
Apparently, the body is so slippery that, despite having only 380 HP (and a horrible transmission), it can hit 210 MPH.
Slippery bodies are cool?

The Mk1 Honda Insight - a hybrid, ohnoes - could hit 210mph with just 340hp. Of course you'd need a blown K20 four pot (like the one out of the Atom) to get that power, but it'd fit thanks to the Insight's Civic origins. Sure, it'd be a modified one-off, but at least you could drive it - unlike a museum piece concept car.

The Mk1 Honda Insight - a hybrid, ohnoes - could hit 210mph with just 340hp. Of course you'd need a blown K20 four pot (like the one out of the Atom) to get that power, but it'd fit thanks to the Insight's Civic origins. Sure, it'd be a modified one-off, but at least you could drive it - unlike a museum piece concept car.

That actually sounds like it would be ridiculously fun to drive. Better start saving up.

It looks like a poor man's/Sunturd owner's XJ220. Seriously uncool.

Bleh. At least the CERV-III (the blue car in the OP) had crazy power numbers and a clever idea to get around the 3 speed. Even the similar "style" Oldsmobile Aerotech of the following year at least did something. The Indy was just a pointless design excercise that GM couldn't even get running with the actual Indycar engine it was originally designed for (though at least the engine they did use was the starting off point for the LT5 rather than just a hum drum L98 or something).

= Seriously Uncool.Slippery bodies are cool?

Just something I thought I'd mention.

Though if whoever built that Insight yanked the electric motors, I don't have as much of a problem with it. Still can't outrun its own ugly though.

Apparently it can - and with 10% less power than some static display Snorevette.

Incidentally, the Indy Concept's Cd is 0.277 - significantly worse than the 2nd gen Toyota Prius you rated seriously uncool.

I think it looks cool.

From a practicality standpoint, it would be flat out a terrible car to daily drive. However, as someone said it looks like something you'd get from a McDonald's Happy Meal. That alone gives it a cool, since it reminds me of my childhood.

Apparently it can - and with 10% less power than some static display Snorevette.

Incidentally, the Indy Concept's Cd is 0.277 - significantly worse than the 2nd gen Toyota Prius you rated seriously uncool.

It's only one part of the overall package. That Prius's weak little 1.5 liter + electric just isn't gonna cut the mustard. Mid-mounted V8 or V10 with no electrics motor, or a KERS system, and then you're talking.

But surely a car with a mid mounted V8 or V10 with an "electrics motor" would generate more power and a hell of a lot more torque than a car with just a mid mounted V8 or V10?

It's a pointless concept car with an engine in the middle. It's cool if you ask me.

I must be weird, because apparently lots of people think it's stupid... I like the way it looks, but that's about it. :P

This just reeks of '80sness. The kind of '80sness where you look at it in the flesh and think 'I can't believe we used to think this was awesome' Then you smile. Because of that, cool.

Back