Engines:
2.8L Twin Turbo V8 (Ferrari F114)
Power: 650 hp
Torque: Unknown
Weight: 940 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe
Additional Info: "Meant to homologate a Group B rally car, until the Group B series was axed. Ferrari used the car as a development vehicle for the F40, similar to today's FXX and FXXK. One of 6 produced, all examples currently exist."​
Ferrari-288-GTO-Evoluzione.jpg

744-1.jpg

ferrari-gto-evoluzione-01.jpg

Ferrari-288-GTO-Evoluzione-8.jpg

583159572_42094c9aea_z.jpg

Ferrari-Evoluzione.jpg

gto-evo-4.jpg

There's an inverse relationship between how cool the 288 GTO is, and how uncool this is.

Also, the GTO was made for the other half of Group B that no one besides Ferrari and Porsche (and the old M1 Procars converted from Group 4) bothered with so it was pretty much dead even before the Lancia crash. The Evoluzione was just Ferarri's equivalent of the Porsche 961, except they never raced it.

It would be Sub-Zero if it weren't for the dozen or so holes cut into the rear and that awkwardly sized spoiler. Cool, because it was a technology test bed.

Solid cool. Couldn't give it a SZ because the "base" 288 GTO just carries a perfect, incredible, timeless look unlike this (despite it being a race car).

Really, really ugly. It's like the most gorgeous, beautiful woman in the world spends money on cosmetic surgery to look like Susan Boyle.

Ultra, ultra rare car killed by regulations before it was even able to do anything.

Seriously Uncool

SUBnotevenRC. Really ugly too. How this could be spawned from the 288GTO and then spawn the F40, and manage to be so ugly, is bewildering.

A perfectly good road car butchered with the ugly stick in order to develop technology for another perfectly good road car.

Uncool.

Last edited:
An 80's "FXX" with road registration, a purpose built car. Insanely cool

I would have loved to see this in Group B events :crazy:

I would have loved to see this in Group B events :crazy:

I've always doubted its rallying credentials. Even if Group B had continued, I just cannot see this actually being entered as a rally car. Ferrari's brief dabble with rallying was with the 328:

85ercolani2.jpg

But the 288? Nah. If Henri Toivonen's death and the incident with the RS200 in Portugal didn't kill Group B, then the Ferrari 288 GTO and Porsche 959 would have.

Wing looks straight out of Group 5.

I'm going with the 'original 288 GTO is best' part. To think, it might've pulled a Cool or maybe even a Subzero if it ever got to rallying.

I've always doubted its rallying credentials. Even if Group B had continued, I just cannot see this actually being entered as a rally car. Ferrari's brief dabble with rallying was with the 328:

85ercolani2.jpg

But the 288? Nah. If Henri Toivonen's death and the incident with the RS200 in Portugal didn't kill Group B, then the Ferrari 288 GTO and Porsche 959 would have.

The group B car was a 308, and I think (though could well be wrong) there are one or two street-legal versions around. Way more desirable than the car polled here anyway, awesome performance but fugtional (yes that is a word) styling spoils it. Meh.

Equal parts hideous and awesome. Although if this thing hadn't played a key role in the conception of the F40, it would have been seriously uncool.

The standard 288 GTO, much like its 308 and 328 brethren, had a handsome, swooping body.

This looks like a puffa fish.

You can never judge a book by its cover.

-

But a car? Absolutely.

-

I don't care if it was a test mule for the Space Shuttle. All I can think of when I see it is: "PRAY TO GOD OF BOMEX!1!!!"

-

The again, most Bomex kits are better finished.

-

Honestly, if a car maker can't be arsed to get a simple hood shut-line right, how do they expect to win a rally with that thing? :D

The normal 288 GTO is SZ due to it's coolness.

And this will also get SZ due to a very much MUCH meaner one. I never saw this thing until now. Wow.

When they say Group B in reference to the GTO Evoluzione, it's not referring to the rallying side of Group B but sports car racing even though Group B turned more in favor of rallying.
Group C was a category of motorsport, introduced by the FIA in 1982 for sports car racing, along with Group A for touring cars and Group B for GTs.
http://egarage.com/events/les-dix-mille-tours-2013/

The 961 is the only other purpose-built Group B alongside the GTO Evoluzione & even its career was extremely short-lived thanks to death of Group B.

Back