• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1986 Ford RS200 Evolution nominated by Jahgee1124

1986_Ford_RS200Evolution1.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1986
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 130 ci/2,137 cc turbocharged DOHC inline 4 (rated 580 HP at maximum boost pressure & 400 ft-lbs probably also at maximum)
Transmission: Endean 5-speed manual
Layout: Mid-engine, All-wheel-drive​

My take? A monstrously fast car, but it is a bit too "techy" to be cool in my opinion. That's a lot of power (and even torque) for such a small engine, but it apparently had the expected mega turbo lag to go with it.

Pretty sure I know which way it's going no matter what I think or say about it though.

It's cool for being crazy fast, but it was a colossal failure in Group B and was a sales disaster on the road (£50,000 in 1985). It never hit the headlines as much as the Audi Quattro and the Lancia Delta and 037, but when it did, it was for the wrong reasons (Portugal 1986). So it's a meh from me.

A race car, quite unsuccessful at that.
"It was too heavy" - Malcom Wilson.
It looks like the unlikely bastard child of a 911 and a Stratos.

All good reasons for it to be labeled uncool.

But I remember watching Martin Schanche driving this thing in the 80's and I'll give it a cool on sentimental value alone.
(that and the fact that it used the BD engine)

It's not even listed as one of my top 5 Group B rally cars. The front design was goofy and it never really succeeded at what it was set out to accomplish.

And yet I love the way it looks, and the fact that it was an absolute beast like the other top cars that were around at the tail end of the Group B era.

To be fair on it, results-wise, it was a little late to the party. By the time they'd got it sorted Group B was cancelled.

Now for my vote, Sub Zero no question, if I ever see one you can bet that I'm gonna gawk at it as long as possible

That's cool, my nomination was posted on my birthday

Sub zero. All that power out of an I4 is impressive. It's so rare that if I saw one on the street I poop myself. Icebox please.

Whilst being a huge fan of rallying, I'm not particularly excited by the road going versions of the Grp B cars - most made much less power than their competition counterparts, and were loaded with equipment making them heavy too. Overall, I don't think they could ever live up to the hype created by their GrpB reputations and would simply be an anticlimax.

I would have a 6R4, or a 037 just for the amazing noise they make.

Meh.

Brings back so memory memories of playing with the Matchbox model as a kid, and I still love RS200s to this day as a result...

AUTOMATIC SERIOUSLY UNCOOL.

For one, it's ugly. It looks like a kit car. Sure, it's a homologation special from one of the most insane periods in one of the most insane practices of motorsports... of a rather unsuccessful entry. It will never have the accompanying pedigree of something like the Delta or quattro. Sure, it was a world record holder for acceleration, but you know what other sorts of cars crowed about their world records? The Veyron and SSC Ultimate Aero.

I love high performance cars too much to give it an uncool, but it definitely isn't worthy of Sub-Zero to me.

Sub-Zero. I remember watching a video about this Blue Oval cruise missile and two things stuck out the most, One: it was the record holder for 0-60 in a production car for quite a long time. 2: the engine at full throttle would only last a short time ( in comparison to conventional 4 pots motors ) before it seized up. How long I don't remember but I'm not surprised it could seize up with that kind of power in that small motor. :)

If it helps, I'll ban anyone who votes anything other than Sub-Zero or says anything bad in any way about it.

For the hard of thinking: Obviously I won't.

You're not voting a unobtainable car uncool? The update must've gone to your head.:P

This car is pure awesome, sub-zero.

It's obtainable. In a mere fingerclick I can find 2 RS200s for actual private sale, usually nipping in around Porsche Panamera money. Evolutions... less so - the last I saw was £350,000.

But they're road cars anyone can buy and drive.

Ford at their motorsports finest would be the GT40 imho.

Voted "Cool"

Awesomely fast, relatively good looking, but it is also exactly what I would expect from the design concept. If it wasn't overpowered I'd be rating it way lower.

I'll follow Famine's orders :nervous:. Unquestionably cool as it was in original form it's impossibly cool now.

One of the cars I think of when I think of "Group B". I would certainly be amazed if I were to see one in real life. Yeah, it's a little goofy looking but there are weirder looking cars out there.

COOL

Sub zero for me, I loves them. Held the record for fastest production car 0-60 for several years (just a little over 3 seconds).

For clarification, this is the rarer Evolution model which makes much more power than the "standard" model, which is in GT5. One way to tell them apart is the big scoop on the roof of the Evo. The Evo is also in Forza 4, and is a blast.

Sub-zero. A car that can outrun ugly.

Also representative of the sort of cars we just don't see any more. Throw in homologation pedigree, interesting engineering and the fact that the 80s is so in right now and you have a very cool vehicle.

Even the fact that Average Joe might think you've built it yourself in a shed can't bring this one down.

Back