GTP Cool Wall: 1988.5-1994 Pontiac Sunbird

1988.5-1994 Pontiac Sunbird

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sadly. Looks like I've lost a valuable ally.

ally

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I_serioused.gif

You really think you're a "crusader" don't you?

It's a pretty solid uncool. The one in the picture looks alright I guess, but it's also in by far the best condition I've ever seen one; every other example I can remember ever seeing has had faded/scratched paint along with one or more of the following: rust patches, various dents, missing bits of trim, fogged up headlights, one or more wrong-color body panels (usually red or bondo gray, even though I can't really remember ever seeing a Sunbird in a color that wasn't blue or Pontiac turqoise), mysterious stains on the seats, mardi gras beads/feather thing/dreamcatcher/a whole pile of tree-shaped air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror with a couple pairs of sunglasses hooked onto the giant mass of crap for good measure, no rear view mirror at all, broken off trunk lock, gas/fire marks around the gas cap, hood and/or trunk held shut by one of those bungee things, and/or one or more broken taillights.

Basically, around here this is one of those cars you see several examples of every time you go past a trailer park. Outside of the trailer park crowd, it's usually not the sort of car people tend to keep for long; it's often a teen's first car if his parents are cheap or don't have a lot of money, or just basic transportation to and from work when you don't have an overabundance of cash.

Would I drive one? Yeah, if one of those 80's go kart economy cars wasn't available and I didn't have enough money to get something better. I sure wouldn't baby it, though. There's worse out there, but there's also a lot better.

Last edited:
It's a clunker now at best. At worst it's worse than a clunker, making it 100% irrelevant. It fails at being any type of cool.

My dad had a 1990 Cavalier Z24, and I always quite liked it. The Sunbird was the same thing, but it got a better engine. Cool.

If you're talking about the turbo 4, that was apparently peaky and laggy enough to get outrun by the V6 - not surprising, since it didn't even have an intercooler.

From 1991 onward the Sunbird and Cav had the same V6.

All my memories of it are of a coworker from years ago who stayed smoking cigarettes in it. Had to ride in it one day, too. Plus, it's bland in design.

Uncool.

Hmm... The only brony I've known who drove a car drove a Camaro. One of the others used their superpowers to fly instead of using a car however, so I can't be sure whether or not they'd drive a Sunbird. Probably not, they were never sold in Europe.

If it weren't for this forum I would probably have voted this meh or uncool, it's a non descript econobox with no redeeming qualities. But in all honesty, as much as I don't like to base my decisions on cars on internet people, I will forever associate this car with W&N's inane ramblings about personal diminutive equines and the red menace that is still destroying America, which is as seriously uncool as you can possibly get.

PS: Footloose.

Last edited:
Its a well-known fact that all J-Body cars are outrageously uncool. Easily some of the worst, hopeless, utterly nonsensical vehicles that have ever put their four wheels on our increasingly depressed Earth.

Now, the GM L-Body on the other hand... That's a whole different ballgame...

Its a well-known fact that all J-Body cars are outrageously uncool. Easily some of the worst, hopeless, utterly nonsensical vehicles that have ever put their four wheels on our increasingly depressed Earth.

Now, the GM L-Body on the other hand... That's a whole different ballgame...

You're thinking of the Honda Civic. Even among economy cars, about as uncool as it gets without entering hybrid territory.

That sunbird in the picture makes me think of the Blue-green Chevrolet Cavalier (a sunbird with a bowtie on it) that my aunt had when I was a little kid; I rode in it once or twice and that was it. So yeah, I didn't like it.

Now though, I just don't care for it, there's nothing I find uncool or cool about it; it's just one of those cars you never think about. So, that's why I decided to vote meh.

Last edited:
At this point it doesn't even bother me that much that this car is percieved as uncool, it is a FWD economy car after all.

My problem comes with how it's poised to come in signigicantly less cool than the 84-87 Civic Si that just finished polling. I mean, think of it. By compact standards, this car is built beefy, with 5-lug wheels and a V6 engine. The interior has some hard plastic, but it isn't bad plastic, you have to rank on it in extremely unusual ways to realize it's not made out of Chuck Norris and attatched with whatever holds stubborn Legos together. Altogether an extremely tough and sturdy small car with a little something extra for those who care to notice.

Now how is that less cool than some weak little Honda with an engine smaller than some soda bottles?

The actual results of the cool wall don't matter. Most of the voters are uncool, hence why we have so many sports cars voted cool.

The only opinion that matters is mine, of course.

Last edited:
My problem comes with how it's poised to come in signigicantly less cool than the 84-87 Civic Si that just finished polling. I mean, think of it. By compact standards, this car is built beefy, with 5-lug wheels and a V6 engine. The interior has some hard plastic, but it isn't bad plastic, you have to rank on it in extremely unusual ways to realize it's not made out of Chuck Norris and attatched with whatever holds stubborn Legos together. Altogether an extremely tough and sturdy small car with a little something extra for those who care to notice.
I actually found that pretty funny, but your mistake is assuming that other cars, like that Civic, don't have that "something extra for those who care to notice" too*.

You're so unwilling to open your mind to other vehicles that you're blind to the fact that other people see other cars in the same light you view your Sunbird. People like different things**; you simply assume the things you like are better than the things other people like because you're too stubborn to drop your misguided ideals.

And unfortunately, you're now representative of the car - it's a car for people who assume their car is better than other rickety heaps solely because it has a not-very-good V6 under the hood.

* For the record, I voted the Civic uncool. But I can understand why other people voted cool.
** I fully understand why you like your Sunbird despite its flaws. The Astro I drove in the US last September was a hunk of crap, but I loved every minute of it.

Back