Torque: 199 lb-ft.
Weight: 1290 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, four wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan
Additional Info: "Used in the WRC before the Impreza WRX was introduced."​

SVX
Understated, yet special. Cool.

And that is what's important about the RS. It's the right definition of a Q-car; it doesn't look like it, but it was a great rally car on its own right. It laid the bases of what would become the Impreza, in the same way the Mitsubishi Galant did with the Galant (which would lay the foundations of the LanEvo). You may think it looks dull, but remember, we wouldn't have the infamous LanEvo vs Impreza wars (and part of WRC history) if it wasn't for these two.

I respect the Galant VR-4, and I give equal respect to the Legacy RS. It's a cool car, because it is not bothered by fanboys and it's getting closer and closer to true classic status. Cool.

Subtle enough that it won't get the stink eye like the Impreza. Lairy enough that you know it's more than your average Japanese saloon. A tasteful soon-to-be classic.

Cool.

Last edited:
I do love a good sleeper, and that saves it from SU.

Otherwise it's a boring looking Subaru, and owners will brag about rally pedigree even though the closest they got to rally driving was circling a dirt parking lot.

By first impression only how is this different than those 300 € beaters riddled with rust and other material wear caused problems? It's just another 80s Japanese saloon. Uncool.

Has all of the good qualities of the hot Imprezas (was even lighter than the GC8s), none of the boy-racer-ness save for the hood scoop, but it also just so happens to look like any particular Gen1 Liberty that is never going to get a second glance from anyone.

I can hear the Subaru dawn chorus miles down the road but even I can't tell a stock RS from a standard Liberty unless I happen to spy the hood scoop.

Pains me to give it a Meh but it's justified on that reason alone.

Avoids the yobs, and has something of the elder Mercedes to its stance. Just scrapes a cool today, may well rise much higher in the years to come.

Uncool. To generic and doesn't really stand out, it looks like your average early 90's sedan. It would require a great deal of explanation too if someone asked you about.

I'm not entirely sure how it would be difficult to explain "Legacy with a turbo" to someone, but each to their own.

Most people aren't going to care about that either, all they're going to see is a generic early 90's sedan with zero charm or style. Trying to explain what makes it a good car and not some generic 90's sedan isn't cool.

Most people aren't going to care about that either, all they're going to see is a generic early 90's sedan with zero charm or style. Trying to explain what makes it a good car and not some generic 90's sedan isn't cool.

But it is a generic 90s sedan. With a turbocharger.

Now correlate "28 year old Subaru Legacy with a turbo" with "cool"

I didn't, hence my Meh vote. My point isn't that it's Cool, it's that it doesn't need to be explained.

Rally heritage that carries onward to the Impreza. Enough said. Cool.

Future classic. As previously mentioned, its a WRX without all of the potential baggage that comes along with. Cool car all around.

Should point out that Europe and Australia got a wagon variant:

RSWAG1.jpg

There's just something inherently cool about a turbocharged wagon/estate with rally tech, but that's just me.

Sub Zero because it felt awesome in FH2. However, if it was anything even slightly below perfectly maintained it looks dumpy and VERY ancient...

Would be cool if it was in concours condition, but the Impreza is cooler than the Legacy, and that's only a meh. So uncool from me.

Back