GTP Cool Wall: 1989-1994 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32)

• Thread starter TheBook
  • 55 comments

1989-1994 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBook

Literary Member
Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
1989-1994 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32)

k1423360686.jpg

Numbers Built: 43,394 (40,390 standard GT-Rs)
Layout: Front engine, all-wheel-drive
Transmission: 5-speed Manual
Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 2.6L (2568cc) twin-turbocharged inline-6 (RB26DETT)
Power: 206kW (276 hp) @ 6800rpm
Torque: 361Nm (266 lb·ft) @ 4400rpm
HP/Litre: 109.03
Weight: 3668lbs (1663kg)
Power-to-weight ratio: 168.37hp/tonne
Wheelbase: 102in (2590mm)
Length: 178in (4521mm)
Width: 70in (1778mm)
Height: 52in (1338mm)

0-60: 4.7secs
Top Speed: N/A
1/4 mile: 13.0secs @ --mph​

The original "Godzilla" killed the JGTC competition every year; even caused rule changes in the JTCC. It generally destroyed all challengers in its time on the track.

Sub-zero. Easily.

You don't see too many here, therefore you don't see many that have been turned to rice. Not to mention the fact that the RB26DETT is probably Nissan's most famous motor.

But, it's pretty ugly IMO. Also, the first thing most people think when they hear "Skyline" is this: http://kakashi.joueb.com/images/Skyline GTR Fast and Furious 2_t.jpg (I know its an R34, but still...)

I'm torn between cool and sub-zero, but I'll go with "a nanometer away from sub-zero" cool.

Cool. Not quite sub-z. Cool because it's erring into classic performance car territory now, and because it's part of a long line of car at the very top of Nissan's tree.

My view on Skylines is similar to that of Ferrari's V8 sports cars. Each new one that comes along is always brilliant, but slightly spoiled by a massive wave of unbearable fanbois (or footballers, in the Ferraris' case) for whom it's the only car in the world that matters. However, because that new car is getting all the attention, the older ones automatically become cooler. The Ferrari 360 is way cooler than it was when it was new. And the R32/33/34 have all got that little bit cooler in the shadow of R35 hype.

Not to mention, it's a car less adorned by computers and technology - more of a purists' machine. Again, a bit like an old Evo or Impreza is compared to a modern one.

Sub-zero. Serious looks, serious performance. And short of anyone who worships The Fast and The Furious, its a mostly unknown car. Racing games are changing that, but its still rather true.

The original "Godzilla" killed the JGTC competition every year; even caused rule changes in the JTCC. It generally destroyed all challengers in its time on the track.

Sub-zero. Easily.

I agree with you on this for almost those exact reasons. The R32 was the reason that we went to V8 Supercars here in Australia, because between it and the Ford Sierra Cosworth, no V8 stood a chance back in the day!! The R32 won the Bathurst 1000, the Australian Touring Car Championship. You can tune them up to do 7's on the 1/4 mile even.

So sub-zero it should be resting on Kelvin's icebox. :cool:

Cool, if it's ileft stock (Mine's is an exception)

Sub-zero.

It's the GT-R. The second best Skyline, save for the R34.

Anyone who says it's below cool will receive harsh criticism and chastisement.

Uncool. I hate GT-R fanboys and they pop up everywhere which really ruins the car. So many people think that it's the god among cars that it just grows tiresome after a while. I'm not doubting the Skyline is an awesome car in terms of performance but that has no bearing on whether it's cool or not. On top of it all it's a Nissan, an extremely uncool brand in my opinion. Now Datsun, that's where it was at.

The only Skyline I would even remotely consider cool is the R33 and that's just because I have some boyhood fantasy about owning a purple one which was my one of my favourite cars in the early GT games.

The only Skyline I would even remotely consider cool is the R33 and that's just because I have some boyhood fantasy about owning a purple one which was my one of my favourite cars in the early GT games.

Ah, yes indeed. I was just looking on Google at some images of bone-stock R33s. Those things took me right back to GT. Good times indeed...

Uncool. I hate GT-R fanboys and they pop up everywhere which really ruins the car. So many people think that it's the god among cars that it just grows tiresome after a while. I'm not doubting the Skyline is an awesome car in terms of performance but that has no bearing on whether it's cool or not. On top of it all it's a Nissan, an extremely uncool brand in my opinion. Now Datsun, that's where it was at.

To be fair, the R32 can't be blamed for the fanboys. Most GT-R fanboys only really seem to learn about the R34 & it's rare to see one that actually knows about the R32, let alone the R33 generation.

But, that's just my 2 cents.

Always been torn with the looks... On one hand it looks sleek, on the other it kinda looks like a pickup truck.

Performance was a game changer for japan

Quickly became ricer-bait

Cool.

Sub Zero.

Along with the McLaren F1, Citroen DS21, Ford RS200, AMG Hammer, and some others, this is one of the cars that provides the cooling for Lord Kelvins ice box.

+1 The R33 is my favorite as well. 👍

Sub Zero. It's basically a racecar de-tuned for road use. Best looking GT-R to date. It also looks like it's neighbors moms shopping trolley, which gives it a sort of sleeper-like anonymous presence, unless it's spotted by enthusiasts.

Cool. Not quite sub-z. Cool because it's erring into classic performance car territory now, and because it's part of a long line of car at the very top of Nissan's tree.

My view on Skylines is similar to that of Ferrari's V8 sports cars. Each new one that comes along is always brilliant, but slightly spoiled by a massive wave of unbearable fanbois (or footballers, in the Ferraris' case) for whom it's the only car in the world that matters. However, because that new car is getting all the attention, the older ones automatically become cooler. The Ferrari 360 is way cooler than it was when it was new. And the R32/33/34 have all got that little bit cooler in the shadow of R35 hype.

You basically just hit the nail on the head there, I agree with this. 👍

Sub Zero! In my opinion, the only good Skyline GT-R. I think the "The Fast and the Furious" movies kinda ruined the image of the R34. I've always loved the R32. I've seen a few in person, it's a sight! Especially in the US! If I were to import any car, it would hands down be the R32 GT-R!!

Sub zero obviously:drool:! But my favourite is still the R34 (the one that took the sigla GTR to another level :D)!

I believe the R32 and 33 aren't 'fanboyised' in the same way enough to make them SZ now. As a whole the R34 and R35 dominate for them, it's becoming only those more actually into cars who care for the 32 and 33 so much now. Keep in mind when half the fanboys say Skyline, they mean R34 GTR or the GT-R (even though it's not a Skyline yada yada) and they don't even know the others exist.

Regardless, I've said it before with these things and I'll say it again, it's not fair to judge a car by it's fans, would you ditch your favourite band if they became popular? Probably not. As far as I'm concerned worry more of your own tastes and not what others think, to render a car uncool (or less cool) because of fanboys is dangerously close to a fanboy rendering it more cool because the other fanboys say so.

I often get thrown in as a fanboy by those who don't know me because I like drifting, imports and the like, we all know what it's like especially with things like games and certain cars. In the end you just stop caring, it's a shame when a great car gets ridiculed because of other people who don't know what they're talking about, but in your own personal opinion I don't think you should allow other peoples opinions. regardless of who they are, effect your outlook on something. One of the uncoolest things to do in my eyes, is try to be cool whether it be by changing your opinions because someone uncool likes it, or vice versa. Not that I am suggesting anyone is trying to be cool just to be clear.

I often get thrown in as a fanboy by those who don't know me because I like drifting, imports and the like, we all know what it's like especially with things like games and certain cars. In the end you just stop caring, it's a shame when a great car gets ridiculed because of other people who don't know what they're talking about, but in your own personal opinion I don't think you should allow other peoples opinions. regardless of who they are, effect your outlook on something. One of the uncoolest things to do in my eyes, is try to be cool whether it be by changing your opinions because someone uncool likes it, or vice versa. Not that I am suggesting anyone is trying to be cool just to be clear.

Well said mate! Surely one of the best phrases i ever read in this forum:tup::)!

Back