• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1989-2000 Nissan 300ZX nominated by @Hayden
1990300ZX.jpg

Engines:
3.0L V6 (VG30DE), 3.0L Twin Turbo V6 (VG30DETT)
Power: VG30DE: 222 hp; VG30DETT: 300 hp
Torque: VG30DE: 198 lb-ft.; VG30DETT: 283 lb-ft.
Weight: 2-seater T-top: 1445 kg; 2-seater TT T-top: 1530 kg; 2-seater TT hardtop: 1501 kg; 2-seater convertible: 1557 kg; 2+2 T-top: 1503 kg; 2+2 TT T-top: 1634 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door 2-seater coupe, 2-door 2+2 coupe, 2-door convertible​
Nissan_300ZX_rear_20080127.jpg

autowp.ru_nissan_300zx_twin_turbo_2%2B2_t-top_eu-spec_2.jpg

AUT_25_RK0637_03_P.JPG

Sfmbql.jpg

16027752_large.jpg

I guess you could call the 300ZX an understated Japanese Gran Tourer. In the face of the legends of the 1990's such as the Supra and the GT-R, alongside the RX-7 and the NSX, this car is the least known of those cars. But it's not bad in any way. Sure, it might be a bit heavy, but the Mitsubishi 3000GT is heavier. And the design is a pretty solid one, smooth without looking too agressive. It's understated, much like the rest of the car.

It is cool for me, not quite Sub-Zero, but still very cool. That's the Fairlady family for you!

Weird it's said to be "unknown". Always thought it was accepted as one of the three top cars (Japan, highway racing days).

Cool. No one expects it a 900 hp 300zx on GT6 lobbies. :lol:
Not much of a looker, though, (not ugly, just kinda.. bland.) but very solid performance wise.

Looks great, but I don't think they are that cool. They are either driven by old people or high schoolers that bought a heap for $2000. Maintenance is said to be pretty difficult too.

Cooler than Z33 350Z, but still uncool.

Fat car with some tangential relation to winning two major sportscar races against supposedly faster opposition.

And it's ugly.

And it's a Datsun that isn't a Datsun.

It's a big fast fatty, driven nowadays mostly by people who like secondhand BFFs and horsepower nerds who aren't redneck enough to buy a Supra.

It would be automatically seriously uncool if it were the first 300ZX, which, let's face it, was so utterly crap that the "Celica Supra" gets more love than it does.

But Mike Kojima has one.

Yes, he's a horsepower nerd, but one of the coolest ones around.

And he drives it.

If it's not raining, snowing, greasy, or even somewhat smoggy.

Still counts, right?

Cool.

It's design, wide stance, cockpit like interior, great sound, comfortable ride, good handling, strong engine and advanced engineering make this an easy cool for me. Even if parts are crazy expensive and they're ridiculously difficult to work on.

I like them so much that I intend on keeping my convertible forever.
image.jpg

As much as I love the FD and especially the JZA80. This has a presence that no other Japanese car from the 90's will ever have on the street in my opinion.

It's just so menacing to me. SubZero

Too many old Ones here mainly driven by pre 20 year olds who think the 2000's body kit phase is still relevent.

There are also ones where the owner has tried to make it a fake ferrari.

Seriously uncool.

Have to say, it's probably my favorite Japanese car based on looks. Wish it was more like the S2000 and less like the Supra though.

When people in the JDM crowd know what they're doing, they can create stuff like this:
Elias_300ZX_4.jpg

For those who don't, it can end up like this:
ricer-mods-10.jpg

The relative rarity compared to Supras and RX-7's is a bonus and good modified ones can look quite good. Balances to Meh.

Last edited:
A bog standard T-top model is low cool at best.

But the 'stance, stretch, bro' crowd along with the ricer crowd drag this down to just scraping a meh.

Always thought it had bizarre proportions. I have quite a soft spot for it though, so cool from me.

One of the few Japanese coupes that was hardly touched by the JDM modding fraternity. A nice clean shape, spoilt slightly at the front end with it's too-close-together Diablo headlights. Meh.

This was quite a departure when it replaced the 280ZX (which in itself was an abomination when compared to the 260Z and 240Z) and I can remember people at the time of it's launch virtually wetting themselves in excitement. I must admit it, it was quite a thing of beauty in the late 80's even though I was more of a Supra/Skyline fan. Trouble is, IMO, it dated very quickly, especially once Toyota launched the Mark IV Supra, which was truly jaw dropping at the time.

As such it can only be a meh from me.

Uncool. It looks like a Japanese imagination of what an American coupe should look like. It's too big, a little tacky, yet still rather bland. The Toyota Supra is a much nicer contemporary, and I feel pretty indifferent about them, which suggests how unenthusiastic I am about the 300ZX...

The fact that it brought much needed refreshment to the Z Series and remained below the radar compared to its Japanese rivals made this the first cool Nissan sports car since the mid-70s.

Trouble is, IMO, it dated very quickly

I think much of it is down to the original front bumper. It's more of a conservative 80s relic married to a classic 90s coupe design. Not a bad look, but you immediately realise that it has its roots in the same decade its dull predecessor.

The JDM facelift arrived very late in its life with a more discernible bumper which better complimented the overall look. Though still unmistakeably 90s.

IMAG0104noplatesm.jpg

Back