Jahgee1124
1990-1996 Renault 19 16V nominated by @Jet Badger
7978031882_7c1f3f9c82_h-jpg.182070

Body Style: 3/5 Door Hatchback, 4 Door Saloon, 2 Door Convertible
Engine: 1.8L I4
Power Output: 134 HP
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Front Wheel Drive

Renault 19 saloon is cool. 16v is also cool.

Bore the #1 in the 1993 BTCC. Cool.

Reactions: DK
One of those rare reliable French cars.
These cars had only 2 real issues, motormounts that went to live a life of their own, and water filling up the spark plug holes. Both easy to fix with aftermarket support.

Styling is absolute French, no doubt about that. And it could give a Golf GTi a run for the money.

Cool.

Sub Zero for me, but then I love all of the early 90s performance family cars.

French. Powerless. FWD. Idiotic offset hood intake.

Seriously Uncool. Just another boring 90's sedan.

Yeah, I'll probably catch some flak for that.

I really don't like that hood... Thing the way it is, and French cars have always been sort of blech to me.

I'll give it an uncool.

Looks mildly interesting, but that's probably because living in Canada I'm not used to seeing cars like this. I wouldn't call it good looking though, and the specs aren't anything special.

Meh.

Just remember it was the 90s.

I know that was pretty average for the time, but that doesn't make it any cooler. I can still get a newer car with more power instead.

The phase 1 in all of it's late 80's French quirkyness is a solid solid cool. After the facelift they got a bit less so in my eyes but I still find these cars to be extremely appealing.

A regular '93 model of one of these was the car I learned to drive on. I loved that car. It was so basic yet so charismatic and solid. And solid it was as later in it's life it ended up in a ditch on it's roof, only damage being two dented fenders and a broken mirror, not a mark on the roof. :lol: I still have the big shiny Renault badge off that car sitting on my table.

The 16V weighed just over a tonne and it was an economy family hatchback back when most economy hatchbacks were driving around with more or less half that HP figure. 135HP was a lot for a car like that back then and well into VW GTi territory.

Seriously Uncool. Had to replace a clutch in one of these.. Never again. :yuck: :ill:

Uh, what? The 19 bears no resemblance to the Sierra in any way and it's also a whole foot shorter.

It gets a cool from me. Most examples I see up for sale are Phase 2 models that are very tidy, but my favorite is the rarer Phase 1 Chamade. You know it's something special, but it doesn't look overdone.

2vxqafb.jpg

Last edited:
I can see the resemblance to the Sierra Sapphire in general shape, but to call it an expy is somewhat unfair.

Came from the period when Renault were making relatively fast, jaunty, yet extremely likeable hot variants of otherwise beige models. Other examples include the 25 V6 Turbo, the 11 Turbo, the Saffrane Biturbo (notice anything in common with these?) and of course, the iconic Clio Williams.

Its styling has stood the test of time in my opinion, especially compared to some other cars of a similar vintage. Plus, there's so few on the road, yet the average Joe would would just assume its a regular 90s sedan, whereas only a select few would really appreciate what they're looking at. High cool in my book.

Reactions: VXR
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back