• Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1991-1996 Chevrolet Caprice nominated by @ToyGTone
1991_Chevrolet_Caprice.jpg

Engines:
4.3L V8 (GM L99), 5.0L V8 (Chevrolet L03), 5.7L V8 (Chevrolet L05), 5.7L V8 (GM LT1)
Power: L99: 170 hp; L03: 172 hp; L05: 180-200 hp; LT1: 260 hp
Torque: L99: 255 lb-ft.; L03: 256 lb-ft.; L05: 240-300 lb-ft.; LT1: 330 lb-ft.
Weight: 1772-1860 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan, 4-door wagon
Additional Info: "It was the COTY in 1991 by Motor Trend."​

Ah, the car of choice for policemen, taxi drivers and company fleets. The Caprice is a good case of an American car that can be seen just about anywhere in 'Murica. But I do sort of like it, in a strange way the car just seems down-to-earth. And let's not forget who is the brother of this car:

94-96_Chevrolet_Impala_SS.jpg

I say it's cool. I know, those who live in America and have seen the car in person may have a different opinion, but I like it.

They used to sell these in Finland before Chevrolet pulled out from Finnish market in the mid 90s just to come back as rebranded Daewoo few years later, but let's not get stuck onto that. These are almost always bloated with rust and driven by old brand-loyal duffers from countryside who bought one as new and couldn't just get a Opel Omega when the sales of Chevrolets halted. And if you see one down here, it takes the space of two Toyota Yarii (if that's the correct plural for Yaris) in a car park. Seriously uncool.

I cannot even fathom how this car could be considered to be cool. Even the police were embarrased to drive it.

Sorry guys, but you're too easily impressed if you think this car is cool. :yuck:

The very large engines made very little horsepower. It's rear quarter panels partially cover the rear wheels- in 1992. Moreover, its styling has aged very, very badly.

Seriously Uncool.

Last edited:
Stubbornly outdated even at the time but now looks kinda cool, mechanically sound and powerful enough. I like the semi-covered real wheels. Cool.

First of all, This is my first ever GTP Cool wall nomination (I guess no one cares :P) but i'm not sure why i decided to nominate this.

Caprice = 90's Cops and Taxi drivers.

This is basically a big ass heavy boat with wheels on it just like almost every boat car coming from there. My grand dad used to own this car back then before they sold it like 2 - 3 years ago. It was the '94 model and it's just feels really heavy (like i said before) and it's isn't comfort able in any sort of way. I remember the car's front seats being one long seat. I also remember it had a digital Speedometer just like this one:

55789398.jpg

Except it's in Km/h...... (who cares really about if it's miles or km?)

The car looks Awful in most parts except some very few parts.

Overall it's not Seriously Uncool as many says and not Cool as some said.

It's Uncool for me.

Still better than the Toyota Yaris thought.

The very large engines made very little horsepower. It's rear quarter panels partially cover the rear wheels- in 1996. Moreover, its styling has aged very, very badly.

For the sedans at least, GM did an emergency hatchet job on the wheel skirts in 1993. They really don't look better, though, since it was obvious that the rear axle line was designed to be obscured by the fender:
4-8-2012-0022.jpg

The wagons of these look much better anyway.

mechanically sound
Eh... eventually. These things weighed quite a bit more than the Caprices they replaced, but it took a few years before GM actually upgraded the internals to match the increased stresses. Police departments (and most fleet services) hated them at first compared to the Caprice Classic because they simply wore out faster. It was the later year models that they held onto for so long until Ford redesigned the Crown Victoria the last time to be a real successor.

The LT1 engines in these can also be somewhat of a nightmare to keep going.

if this were a nomination of just the SS, it would be an easy cool... but it's not. still like to see these cars, and for some reason, the Caprice nameplate has some respect over here... so meh.

Ah, the car of choice for policemen, taxi drivers and company fleets. The Caprice is a good case of an American car that can be seen just about anywhere in 'Murica. But I do sort of like it, in a strange way the car just seems down-to-earth. And let's not forget who is the brother of this car:

94-96_Chevrolet_Impala_SS.jpg

I say it's cool. I know, those who live in America and have seen the car in person may have a different opinion, but I like it.

if this were a nomination of just the SS, it would be an easy cool... but it's not. still like to see these cars, and for some reason, the Caprice nameplate has some respect over here... so meh.

Should me or someone nominate the Impala SS?
Not sure why i'm asking this as i'm free to choose what i want to nominate.

I was just asking here if I should or not so then I go to the nomination thread and make one.
Asking there won't work really.
I mean, if you want to, go for it. But wasn't there a rule regarding a limit on nominations you can do per something?

I mean, if you want to, go for it. But wasn't there a rule regarding a limit on nominations you can do per something?
I remember that you cannot do another nomination until your car nomination Poll starts which then you could do Another one.

Basically you couldn't have 2 nominations at a time.

Anyone else find it ironic that the two biggest types of owners of the Caprice are the police and people who probably spent a lot of time in the back of a police Caprice before buying their own? Just sayin....

I would love to have one of these as a secondary car. Not even close to cool, though.

Back