Power: 280 hp
Torque: 280 lb-ft
Weight: 1460 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual / automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive​

30608-Mark II JZX90 (43).JPG
65ab054s-960.jpg
toyota-chaser-facts-discussion-forum-and_1.png

There's no doubt in my mind that there will be plenty of giddy drifting fanboys with plenty to say about how "amazing" these are, so I wanted to chime in good and early with a big, fat Meh.
It may as well be a Camry.

A bit bland, but it more than makes up for it with it's 1JZ-GTE, rear-wheel drive, and the option of a manual transmission. Plus, it hasn't been ruined by F&F fanboys unlike the Supra Mk. IV.

Cool.

If you hadn't put the make in the title, it could have very well been any number of Japanese sedans from the mid 90's. I'd probably have guessed it was the Japanese spec Honda Accord.

Even the 1JZ can't save this car from uncool with such bland styling.

I give it a low cool, cause I actually enjoy the 90s styling of exec cars from Japan, they set the tone for the decade that many followed with up until the 00s. Then the Germans took over, and it's seemed to be in their court since then. Much cooler than any current exec from japan.

Sub Zero. Manual, pillarless, TT engine, red, sedan. What the Lexus ES250 should have been. I'll take it.

The JZX cars have always had that problem where they all look like Camrys. This and the JZX110 in particular. And then you get the bros who stance the crap out of them to try and absolutely make sure that it is "not just a Camry."

Uncool.

Having to explain why a car is cool everywhere you go is one of the most uncool things in the history of the universe.

Uncool.

SZ for me, had driven this back in Oz, not stock, it was fun just to scare the passengers at the back :P

Handled pretty well if done properly, 450-500HP is easily attainable and reliable with proper bottom end strengthening. Stagger - wider rear sticky tires/lightweight wheels, suspension bushes, chassis braces, strut bars, coilovers, easily transform the car.

Stock condition, the car is unremarkable in handling. Some of the import JZ90 in Oz back in early 2000 were in great condition, some are near stock with usual bolt on bits, a few had hard life as drift car, and these are often in bad condition mechanically.

Get in one of the better tuned one, it's great, get in one of the bad ones ( stock, not well maintained, ex drift car etc ), it lost the charm.

Last edited:
The mid-90s Euro Camry looked way too much like this to be cool. You'd have to explain what it was and that isn't cool, as others have said.

I like that it looks like a slightly nicer Camry. It's a very unassuming car with a lot of performance on tap, and I find its speak softly and carry a big stick attitude rather cool.

I really, sincerely thought the first picture was accidentally misplaced and it was a Honda Accord of some sort.

Then I clicked the spoiler.

Well, I voted uncool. The early 2000s Camry looks similar to it and thus I'm certain normal people will assume it's a camry due to that. I imagine an owner would have to explain what makes it great out of other Toyota sedans and having to explain something isn't cool.

Latest Posts

Back