Body Style: 2-door convertible
Engines: 4.0L Hi Compression V8, 4.0L-5.0L V8
Power: 240-340 hp
Torque: 270-320 lb-ft
Weight: 1060 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
A GT version of the Griffith, the Chimaera out sold it by 3 to 1. It appealed to those drivers who wanted an out and out sports car but with the convenience of ample luggage room. By 2003, when production finally finished, over 6000 had left TVR's Blackpool production line, making it TVR's biggest success story.
The Chimaera had been produced with a choice of 5 engines ranging from a 4ltr right through to the monster 5ltr. It also had 3 face lifts. The Chimaera was produced in a vast combination of colours and trim levels, meaning that there's a car to satisfy everyone's taste and pocket.
The name of the car comes, just like the TVR Cerbera, from the Greek mythology. Chimera was a creature with parts from multiple animals, similar to TVR's vehicle which used an engine based on the Rover V8. Even if it was launched in 1992, Chimaera had an impressive line-up of optional features, including the power assisted steering, the air conditioning, the full leather interior, the gold colored badges and the chrome steering wheel.
In 1993 the Chimaera became TVR's biggest selling car and remained in that position untill 1998. There were about 6000 produced, and there are more Chimaeras on the road than the total TVR's produced over the preceding 25 years.​

tvr_chimaera_5_0_convertible_2d_4997cc_2000_for_sale_from_ripley_carriage_company_in_surrey_united_kingdom_3900128453672491479.jpg

_6834889_orig.jpg

7663463_orig.jpg

Not half as pretty as the almost mechanically identical Griffith, but still pretty cool. One of the best sounding unmodified road cars 👍

Not half as pretty as the almost mechanically identical Griffith, but still pretty cool. One of the best sounding unmodified road cars 👍
And yet you always get the impression that the gentleman driving it is named Kenneth, has a beard and a small penis, and is a particularly aggressive member of Pistonheads. And these things are not all unconnected.

A TVR model that gets overlooked by its better-known siblings.

A solid cool nonetheless.

So how did the Chimera fit in relation to the Griffith? It looks like a Cerbera convertible (or was the Cerbera a Chimera hardtop), but how the Griffith slots in I never really got.

Such a simple and sleek design. It looks so good. It's a shame that it hides frame rot and terrible shoddy engineering.

But at least it doesn't have the Kenneth with the small penis stigma here.

Cool.

Such a simple and sleek design. It looks so good. It's a shame that it hides frame rot and terrible shoddy engineering.

But at least it doesn't have the Kenneth with the small penis stigma here.

Cool.
What's Dutch for "Kenneth"?

What's Dutch for "Kenneth"?

I don't think we don't have an equivalent for that. We have a Sjonnie, but that's more like a Backwards cap hanging on the steering wheel Barry.

I've always thought of it as inferior to the Griffith but it's still a very cool car.

A TVR for the people I suppose. They're somewhat common around here and a less obvious alternative to other more contemporary sports cars. Always saw it as the reasonably priced Cerbera.

Low cool. Not typically outlandish or as pretty as its older stable-mate, but it carries with it a fair enough dose of presence and style.

So how did the Chimera fit in relation to the Griffith? It looks like a Cerbera convertible (or was the Cerbera a Chimera hardtop), but how the Griffith slots in I never really got.

It was more of an attempt at creating a GT-ish 2-seater. Extra room inside and a softer set-up. The 2+2 Cerbera had less in common with those two beyond the Chimaera styling.

Last edited:
I usually think of these as toned-down Cerberas, but even still, the Chimaera has performance that's commendable, thanks to good horsepower numbers, a finely tuned suspension, and responsive handling. I'm four years younger than the legal driving age in my state, but I can imagine a car like this would be amusing to cruise around a track. And for a roadster like this, the Chimaera has pretty good storage space.

Solid cool.

I want to like it. But all I see is the aforementioned Kenneth stood next to it, probably in a lay by on the A38 with a Green Flag van just behind the car.

I get this vibe from almost every single TVR as well. I'd own one, but I wouldn't exactly shout about it to all my friends because the only one who'd care is the one who's making a kit car. In fact, I put most TVRs in the same bracket as kit cars in levels of coolness.

It escapes SU though, as I'm sure it would turn some heads on the street and not for the wrong reasons, either. However... it's still uncool.

Saying that though, I bet it'd be really fun to drive.

Well it's basically a Cerbera convertible. Enough power, low weight, agile handling. Cool

Being a small company, TVR would use the same space frame chassis for its models. Essentially the underpinnings of the Chimaera and Griffith are almost the same. The Griffith was released first and sold as a more hardcore sportscar. the Chimaera when release was slightly softer - with a larger boot and more comfortable suspension. it could even have power steering. These were very successful sellers, with the Chimaera out selling the Griffith by about 4 to 1. Helped by the Chimaera having a wider range of engines available and being cheaper.

TVR started to develop its own engines, and wanted a new car to showcase its efforts. The new car was based on a longer wheelbase Chimaera, but as TVR didn't sell a 2+2 nor a fixedhead coupe it decided to try to produce a car that didn't take sales away from its existing models. This became the Cerbera.

I'm not called Kenneth, have owned 3 TVRs and none left me stranded on the side of the road!

Pictures of TVRs rarely do the shape justice, especially the Chimaera. In the flesh, so to speak, It really is a fantastic looking sportscar.

I never felt cool driving one on my own, but felt very cool giving family, friends, neighbours etc a ride in it. Letting others experience a TVR is cool. Nothing short of a bright Lamborghini attracts friendly and interested attention like a TVR.

Last edited:
I don't know how I want to vote. I've never have been of convertibles for whatever reason (T-tops and targa tops are a different story). However, since the general shape is of the Cerbera, I do like that. The dark one looks nice, but the yellow just does not work for me. The interior is neat looking though.

And yet you always get the impression that the gentleman driving it is named Kenneth, has a beard and a small penis, and is a particularly aggressive member of Pistonheads. And these things are not all unconnected.
:lol:

You should definitely make a thread called Famine's automotive stereotypes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uncool - Fiberglass smell and built in a shed.

I'm only a fan of the more bonkers looking TVR's, that's the only reason you can forgive all the other shortcomings! So meh from me I'm afraid as you can't brake down in style!

Meh.

Yes, they have an OK power to weight ratio, but that's because they are built from recycled coke cans, fiberglass & plastic.

Rubbish build quality (though at least the ancient V8 engines in these don't need a full rebuild every 2 years like the i6), rubbish electrics, under developed suspension (both geometry and quality of parts used), and not great to drive.

Majority of TVR's are massively, massively over rated... plastic tat like most stuff that comes out of Blackpool.

They make a nice enough noise though.

Back