2-door roadster
Engine: 1.6L-2.0L I4
Power: 115-230 hp
Torque: 123-150 lb-ft
Weight: 665 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
Caterham has mostly been known for their version of the Lotus Seven, but this car was built by Caterham to be a more practical version of the car. It's mechanically identical to the Caterham Seven and was intended to have 200 units produced per year but a grand total of 48 were ever produced.​

21 1.jpg
21-04.jpg
03_Caterham_21.jpg

caterham_21_01b.jpg

hIqXtljg.jpg

That sort of power and weight are appealing, but the danged thing is ugly. Uncool.

It looks like a bunch of mid-late 90's sports cars got together, had an orgy and somehow this bastard spawn came into existence as a result.

Definite cool.

A good looking, svelte, lightweight 90's sports car. Real shame so little were made, since so much more were planned, plus it made for a neat competitor to the likes of the S1 Elise (with which it shared the venerable K-series rover unit).

Last edited:
I've seen a yellow one in person near to home. I wonder now if it's the one in the op. There's a high chance it is with only 48 made in total.

I don't think it's particularly cool to a general audience, but it was to me.

Meh.

Probably wouldn't make a terrible impression at first glance. Though for a Ginetta it is quite blan-

Hold on, I'm getting my 'generic British sports cars of the 90s with a slight back-alley vibe' mixed up again, aren't I? Bugger.

Mondeo taillights

I'm not kidding when I say I think the donor lights look better on the 21. Unlike the front indicators donated by a Suzuki Cappuccino that nobody would ever notice unless they're shown an image of the two together. /random_car_facts

Last edited:
Looking at those brakelights reminds me how ugly the Mk 1 Mondeo hatch/liftback is.

I'm sure these were designed for people who thought the Caterham 7 was too hard core and fancied buying a softer bodied version of the same thing only to get home and realise what a terrible mistake they'd made. Uncool.

I didn't know this thign was that light. Is it even lighter than the old timer Mini's?

I won't know for sure, but to see light weight cars with proper engines to go at proper speeds, that's a High Cool for me.

Has a big whiff of shed-built kit car about it. Looks like the result of someone trying to put a Marcos body on a Caterham 7 chassis.

Uncool.

Has a big whiff of shed-built kit car about it.

Yup, a cool shed-built car that actually manages to be fun. As well as the builder being able to tell you every single measurement from memory ... over a pint of real ale, of course.

Cool. Just. Only just.

They look better on the road than they do in pics. Not quite so kit-car like, albeit far from perfect. Simple open-topped British sports car (that's not old enough to appeal to the flat-cap brigade) gets a cool.

I can get behind the idea of a Caterham Seven that isn't so much of a pain in the arse to get into and out of too. Extracting your car like you're trying to escape a marsupial's pouch isn't cool.

Had the huge, huge misfortune of being launched about two months before Lotus launched the Elise.
Looking at those brakelights reminds me how ugly the Mk 1 Mondeo hatch/liftback is.
You take that back!

Back