• Thread starter Slash
  • 822 comments

Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
I've made this thread with the intention of everyone posting random facts about cars and their companies and company facts that are not well known, but aren't big enough to be thread worthy. I apologize in advance if there is a thread like this.

I'll start.

Ford's assembly line dropped the price of the Model T by 90%. Without it, the 1964 1/2 Mustang would cost $600,000.

The 1970 1500 VW Beetle can't climb more than a 46% hill with two average size occupants.

The selling rate of Pajeros in Spanish-speaking countries is low because it is Pajero is Spanish slang for "He who fiddles with himself for sexual gratification."

:lol: That is great :lol:

Kind of reminds me of why the Chevy Nova never sold well in Mexico, because "nova" means "no-go" in Spanish. :lol:

The radiators from the (IIRC) 2001 models of the Legacy or Impreza are the best ones for a BH Legacy.

Got told this years ago, I might of messed it up a tad like a game of Chinese whispers. :lol:

There are American Versions of the Countach and some other cars with something like a Spoiler on the front, cars needed to have a minimum height

Kind of reminds me of why the Chevy Nova never sold well in Mexico, because "nova" means "no-go" in Spanish. :lol:

That's actually an urban legend. While "nova" literally translates as "no go", the meaning doesn't actually translate as accurately. It's the equivalent of when you run something through google translate and it comes out with something that looks like it might vaguely mean something, but doesn't really make any sense.

I'm not even sure how much validity to the Pajero story there is. While that does mean what it's claimed to mean, the Pajero isn't called the Pajero in Spanish-speaking countries, it's typically called the Montero. Maybe it's called that because they messed up with the first-gen Pajero, but if it's still selling poorly it's probably just because it doesn't sell brilliantly anyway.

That's actually an urban legend. While "nova" literally translates as "no go", the meaning doesn't actually translate as accurately. It's the equivalent of when you run something through google translate and it comes out with something that looks like it might vaguely mean something, but doesn't really make any sense.

I'm not even sure how much validity to the Pajero story there is. While that does mean what it's claimed to mean, the Pajero isn't called the Pajero in Spanish-speaking countries, it's typically called the Montero. Maybe it's called that because they messed up with the first-gen Pajero, but if it's still selling poorly it's probably just because it doesn't sell brilliantly anyway.

+1 No issues with NOVAs selling well in the US Southwest where spanish is spoken alot.

The word 'Mondeo' is supposedly derived from the Latin word 'mondus', or French word 'monde', which both translate to 'world'. Ironically, the Mondeo is not sold globally.

When testing the McLaren F1's gearbox, McLaren used a 454 Chevy Big Block to replicate the torque the V12 would make. :)

There are American Versions of the Countach and some other cars with something like a Spoiler on the front, cars needed to have a minimum height
I believe these are 5mph bumpers. They were for US safety regulations iirc.

Lamborghini-Countach-Red-Front-Angle-st.jpg

That's what Lamborghini of America came up with to get around it. Chrysler's solution to the same problem after they bought the company was...

Lamborghini_Anniversary_Countach_21.jpg

Somewhat less inspired (though a lot easier to swap out for the Euro bumpers, and almost certainly safer :lol:).

The guy that saved Cadillac in 1905 is the same guy that formed Lincoln in 1917.

Also, very good idea for a thread. Subscribing now. :)👍

The guy that saved Cadillac in 1905 is the same guy that formed Lincoln in 1917.

Also, very good idea for a thread. Subscribing now. :)👍

Thanks 👍

I didn't know if we had one but I thought I would be kind of neat to learn things from others without having to look it up or not have it's own thread.

Not many people know this, but the 1970 Cadillac El Dorado had one of the largest production V8 engines ever, the Cadillac 500, or an 8+ liter V8. What most people don't know about this car is that it is front wheel drive.

Bodies, frames and parts from the Ford F-series, Bronco and E-Series from 1980-1997 can all be swapped. Mechanical parts from previous generations can also be used, and the engine bay is large enough to easily accommodate a 1,100ci V8 and then some. It is not uncommon for this swap to occur.

The 351M/400 is really just a tall deck and stroked 351 Cleveland with a Windsor style crank and journals.

Just a couple more for now.

-The Ford GT is so strong, that during the "roof crush" test, it broke the crushing machine.

-The Ford Crown Victoria came with an optional cassette player, even in 2011. Edit: (it was the last car to come with one)

Starting in 1970, the Chevrolet 396 "Big Block" V8 was actually bored out .030" and became a 402ci V8, but Chevy lied about it and continued to call it a 396 in smaller cars (others were called the 402/Turbo-Jet 400) to keep insurance companies (and other reasons) off their tails about cars with V8s over 400ci.

Just a couple more for now.

-The Ford GT is so strong, that during the "roof crush" test, it broke the crushing machine.

-The Ford Crown Victoria came with an optional cassette player, even in 2011. Edit: (it was the last car to come with one)

wow really? Talk about Built Ford Tough.

EDIT: The Ford GT40 was built to beat Ferrari at Le Mans.

Back