Engines:
3.5L V8 (Ferrari Tipo F129B/C)
Power: 380 hp
Torque: 268 lb-ft
Weight: 1350 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual, 6-speed semi-automatic
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Additional Info: "In 1994 Ferrari unveiled the F355 - a model considered to be the greatest production sports-car of the 20th Century. The F355 remained into production until 1999 and with 11,273 units produced it became the most successful Ferrari in history."​
Ferrari_F355_Coup%C3%A9.jpg

1995_ferrari_355_f1_berlinetta_05_sb.jpg

4.jpg

4653780404_b6e95719ec_o.jpg

Ferrari-F355-Spider.jpg

ferrari-355-f1-spide-9_1600x0w.jpg

Ferrari_F355_Spider_12.jpg

bicycle-rack-ferrari-f-355-spyder-5-13-11_9.jpg

For my money, the last really great Ferrari which had all of the magic and none of the nerdiness.

Sub Zero

That would more or less be all.

Now this is a no-brainer for several reasons; the proper junior Ferrari that made the average 348 look like a footnote, a car that focuses on pure driving magic with barely any excessive science, and about as beautiful as you'd expect from a properly sorted Pinnifarina design. Jeremy Clarkson once spoke about how he felt like selling many things just to get a F355. And I can see why, really, I would feel the same thing. It's just a brilliant car, a superb Ferrari.

Get the Martini Fridge for this one, if you may.

The trouble with the V8 mid engined Ferraris, is that the next reiteration nearly always trumps the outgoing model in every regard. It's a constant that you rarely get with other none-mundane cars. It's also just about recent enough to still be a modern Ferrari. Therefore uncool.

I prefer the 348, because it's a purer, more connected driving experience (at least according to EVO). The 335 is still very cool, though.

For my money, the last really great Ferrari which had all of the magic and none of the nerdiness.

This. But well past the sub zero era for Ferraris. Merely a cool, but a solid one. Which is a lot to say for a modern Ferrari.

Even though it's not even close to the Mondial, it still has the same stigma as the 348 of being a budget Ferrari, and the ability of buying one for the same price as a mid-range 5-Series BMW, definitely won't help that image. Seriously uncool.

Even though it's not even close to the Mondial, it still has the same stigma as the 348 of being a budget Ferrari, and the ability of buying one for the same price as a mid-range 5-Series BMW, definitely won't help that image. Seriously uncool.
Don't forget everyone putting 355 body kits on MR2's

There are less Mk2 MR2s here than there are F355s, so no need for mentioning that.
Where I am I have seen 7 cars that look like 355's. I know for sure at least 4 of them were MR2's

Sub Zero. Because pop-up headlights, simple yet effective styling and proper 6 speed manual.

Sub-Zero.

Has grown into a genuine '90s classic.
It's shaken off the rich douchebag show off image and the MR2 bodykits just make seeing a real one more of a rare occasion.

And pop up headlights.

Low enough for anyone with ability to buy two Ford Focuses.
You keep claiming that these are dirt cheap to buy, but I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. The cheapest Ferrari F355 on eBay motors is £45,000 for a LHD example with 60,000 miles. These are not cheap to buy; a good example will run you at the very least £45k, or 60,000 Euros. And then there's the matter of running costs. The 355 is rated at 16 MPG, which would be ruinously expensive if driven daily. Even at just 5,000 miles a year (an unheard of number for a classic Ferrari; many insurance companies won't allow it and it causes rampant depreciation), you'd be shelling out £1300 a year in fuel. Additionally, there's the cost of maintenance. As Doug DeMuro will tell you, Ferraris are very expensive in this regard, too. Even in a newer, more reliable 360 with no issues at all, he paid £3000 to maintain it, including a £1300 oil change.

I don't know what world you live in, but most people wouldn't say that a £45k car that costs £4300 a year in fuel and maintenance alone is cheap. Factor in insurance, tax, and any potential repairs, and you could easily be looking at double that annual value. So please, stop peddling the ridiculous notion that this car can be bought and run by anyone because it's so "cheap."

Ferraris are still for the rich, even the "cheap" ones.

Currently going through that brief "just an old Ferrari" phase and therefore temporarily cool. It'll become collectable and prices will shoot up in a few years and back to seriously uncool it will go.

Ferrari's aren't meant to be cool anyway. They're meant to be passionate fire breathing beasts.

You keep claiming that these are dirt cheap to buy, but I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. The cheapest Ferrari F355 on eBay motors is £45,000 for a LHD example with 60,000 miles. These are not cheap to buy; a good example will run you at the very least £45k, or 60,000 Euros. And then there's the matter of running costs. The 355 is rated at 16 MPG, which would be ruinously expensive if driven daily. Even at just 5,000 miles a year (an unheard of number for a classic Ferrari; many insurance companies won't allow it and it causes rampant depreciation), you'd be shelling out £1300 a year in fuel. Additionally, there's the cost of maintenance. As Doug DeMuro will tell you, Ferraris are very expensive in this regard, too. Even in a newer, more reliable 360 with no issues at all, he paid £3000 to maintain it, including a £1300 oil change.
Where did I say about the actual cost of buying an old F355? And, if you are stupid enough to buy one in bad condition, there are some available on Mobile.de for less than 50,000€, and I'm pretty sure that with some searching you can find one for around 45k€ which is easily less than two Ford Focuses. The actual cost will obviously be higher, but there are people who won't realise this before they have bought the car as an impulse-purchase, even if they can only actually buy the car itself and even that rather badly, and that's one of the biggest reasons these cars are so uncool.

I don't know what world you live in, but most people wouldn't say that a £45k car that costs £4300 a year in fuel and maintenance alone is cheap. Factor in insurance, tax, and any potential repairs, and you could easily be looking at double that annual value. So please, stop peddling the ridiculous notion that this car can be bought and run by anyone because it's so "cheap."
Again, I haven't said, it is cheap. I've said things about the price of the car twice though, which is the reason why some of them are left in hands of people who can't really afford any of the things you mentioned.

And for people who think they're rich enough. I don't believe that the "look I have an extra 50k, I think I can afford a Ferrari" situation will never happen with these.

Certainly for the well off. New ones and classic ones are for the 1%, but many go through a period where they briefly fall into the range of more middle class buyers who are prepared to make financial compromises in other areas (ie. selling their house after their kids move out and their mortgage is paid off and into a smaller one).

I've known people who did that with the 328, only to watch it become a classic and skyrocket in price in the years after their purchase, allowing them to make a profit later on.

Definitely my favourite 3/4xx V8 Ferrari after the SZ 308, 328 and 458, making this a solid to upper Cool for me. As for cost, all Ferraris are on the up now, even the Mondial. I remember when you could pick up a Testarossa or 456 for >£30k but those days are long long gone. There are a few tatty 348s around for that kind of price though, for the very brave.

Low enough for anyone with ability to buy two Ford Focuses.
So either low enough to accidentally not get the joke, or low enough to intentionally not get the joke.

Definitely my favourite 3/4xx V8 Ferrari after the SZ 308, 328 and 458, making this a solid to upper Cool for me. As for cost, all Ferraris are on the up now, even the Mondial. I remember when you could pick up a Testarossa or 456 for >£30k but those days are long long gone. There are a few tatty 348s around for that kind of price though, for the very brave.
The 400i?

Cool, bordering SZ. From most accounts it fixed the problems with the lacklustre 348, and it looks better to boot. You could drone on about how the NSX might've caused this, but that'd just make it less cool. The important thing is that people will see you in a Ferrari, but not one of the shouty, ugly current ones. It's also not quite old enough to be a collectors-only item, just those who know it's a quality item.

Pop-ups significantly help it. I've long preferred the 360 (mostly because of the CS), but these are fantastic in person.

Manual w/ gated shifter = Automatic SZ. :D

Plus, it sounds amazing and is from when having a Ferrari wasn't a status symbol... :rolleyes:

Back