Engines:
2.0L I4
Power: 150 hp
Torque: 133 lb-ft.
Weight: 1066 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe, 4-door sedan
Additional Info: 'All 200 units produced for 1994 were available only to SCCA-licensed buyers. For 1995-1999, the ACR was made available to anyone, and was now able to be optioned up with a few 'luxury' features such as air conditioning. Neon ACRs won many stock-class trophies throughout the nineties and were considered the best-handling car for under $15k during their time."​
2.jpg

alex98acr13.jpg

10656.jpg

Fantastic, fun little cars. Learned to drive in an ACR (and a Shadow ES Turbo), and it completely skewed my interpretation for what a typical FWD car should feel like. And with a PT Cruiser engine they are seriously great to drive; up their with the best of the decade.

But they are no more cool than the New Beetle that essentially took their place on the market.

My dad had two. Learned stick in one, a rare-ish 5-speed car.

Didn't even knew about the first ACR. That's a cool story (bro).

Still, devastatingly uncool.

Out of all the cars Dodge had to give the ACR treatment to, it was this.

SU.

Proper ACR:
dodge-viper-gts-acr-03.jpg
The second "Neon" ACR was alright, the SRT-4 and that I would give a cool but not this.
Dodge SRT-4 ACR:
Picture014.jpg

I don't really know what's the fuss about the neon.... it just look like a normal everyday car that's used just to go from A to B....

*scrolls above to vote but then sees the name again*

ACR!?? Isn't that some special models and trims for the Viper and such....???

*Google up the Neon Acr*

Oh so this isn't an Ordinary Dodge Neon....

Still Uncool thought.

I give it cool. It's light stripper model of otherwise quite mundane Neon, and apparently did quite well on track. And R/T versions are available for people with budget.

Autocrossed a lot and driven hard by many people.

Still a Neon. Uncool.
This. Despite, like @GTP_Ingram, quite liking the Neon (it's neatly styled and a bit different from the norm), and despite the ACR being handy on a track, it's still just a regular saloon built by Chrysler.

We had a Chrysler Cirrus that shared the suspension with this car, and its handling was just amazing! Its too bad it was pared to such a tiny v6 engine and a terrible 4-speed automatic.

You know, the Neon sold in massive numbers. And yet they're totally gone. You never see them anymore. I suppose that wouldn't have anything to do with Chrysler's reputation for building appallingly poorly built and unreliable cars during that period...

My mom had the 2003 Dodge SX2.0 R/T... Fun little car that lasted over a decade without problems and was quieter than a 2014 Corolla. Pretty sporty too.

Quirky little creature which looks like it'd be fun to drive. Not an ounce of coolness anywhere to be seen though.

Uncool

Chrysler exports here may not have included the ACR. But I did think the 4-door version we got seemed like a surprisingly nifty alternative in the small family cars segment. And this, as a performance version, even more so.

Seriously Uncool GM white goods, despite all that.

Last edited:
A noble attempt at cheap fun, but I have no reaction to the Neon.

An objectively accomplished 1066kg manual-transmission corner carver with plain '90s styling that has aged remarkably well now that I look at it. At least compared to the second generation car posted above, which resembles the automotive equivalent of a spiky-haired teenager with a wallet chain and Hot Topic shirt.

For one of the Detroit trio to try a sporty car by any means other than throwing a ten-gallon bucket of horsepower and fat grippy tires onto a crude brick is pretty Cool. The Neon also has character that most of the other miserably ghastly american economy cars of that period lack, IMO.

@Beeblebrox237 -- Most that are left are probably rusting away from the outside down (rather than the bottom up), since 1990s Chryslers peeled paint like snake skins. There's one for sale in my village though.

If this was a dedicated sports car, it would've been uncool. This is not a dedicated sports car.

Last edited:
Junky cars, so seriously uncool even though I have good memories in one.

@Beeblebrox237 -- Most that are left are probably rusting away from the outside down (rather than the bottom up), since 1990s Chryslers peeled paint like snake skins. There's one for sale in my village though.
Plus the early ones went through head gaskets like they were regular wear items.

Back