GTP Cool Wall: 1994-1999 Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 77 comments

1994-1999 Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1994-1999 Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205) nominated by @MrWaflz55

7147058407_116ee3c6c3_b.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupé
Engine: 2.0L 3S-GTE Turbo I4
Power: 239-252 hp
Torque: 224 ft-lbs
weight: 1390 kg
Transmission: E154F 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, all wheel drive
Additional Information: This car was the road-going version of the popular rally Celica used in the WRC, with the classic Castrol livery. Only 2,500 homologation models were produced, making this car a collectible. Initially anti-lock braking systems were optional, but were added as standard starting in 1996. Numerous weight saving methods were used such as an aluminum hood. It was also equipped with Anti-Lag systems. A facelifted model exclusive to Japan featured different tail-lights.

Important World Rally Championship victories include Sweden and Catalunya in 1994, Safari rally in 1995 and the Portugal and British rallies in 1996, however one team was caught running sophisticated, illegal turbo systems and were given a one-year ban.​

image-jpeg.576173

1094466_10151717360733654_1888-55133801e9579.jpg

NS-Rear.jpg

toyotacelicaconvertible-2171_1-jpg.576488

Last edited:
Standing by the side of the road next to a broken down car is never cool.

Cheating in an incredibly clever way and getting away with it? Yeah, okay. I can see how that would be cool.

Cheating and getting caught red handed and bitterly insisting that you weren't in the wrong when you were already probably the best anyway? Plus Toyota didn't even bother with it in North America, so when someone tarts up their glorified Camry coupe to look like one:

9xX50ShKC-L4e9iJdagpJhqBO4Pplo1Ojttw6A7n6LqEDgmgPvL23jF_CUaT5gyAX89OjXw1JRfVjg=w1280-h1800-no

It doesn't even make sense.

I desperately want to say Cool but it just isn't.

It's not the cheating or the rarity of it or even the disgusting 3-spoke wheels.

It's that the ones that I have seen (which is a very limited number but still) would have to have been some of the worst condition turbocharged vehicles I've ever come across and yet the owners have had the cheek to ask $20k for them because WRC. The road car wasn't that brilliant to begin with.

Yes it's very specific reasoning but the ST205 just cannot be cool.

Ignoring the fact that this thing had some sort of cheating scandal or whatever, I'm placing a cool because I thought this car was an amazing car.

Also, isn't the 3S-GTE an I4?

I'd drive this over a Supra any day. Who cares if it cheated. It was fast, sounded good, and looked even better in the legendary Castrol livery.

Sub-Zero

This is the only Toyota Celica that I would actually be happy to drive. The rally pedigree and all really makes this car something special, a little more unique than the bog standard variations. Cool

SVX
View attachment 591941

I've read this a few times and still can't really get the gist of what you're trying to say.
He's saying that people taking this to task because SUBRC should also take the F40 and F1 to task as well since those were also successful race cars.

But no one has said anything resembling SUBRC, and those weren't cars designed specifically to support a factory racing effort, so the point isn't really relevant.

This is my favourite four-wheel drive rally car for the road. Happily take it over any other low end sports car of the 90's. Also it reminds me of the golden age of the WRC and how the industry in general used to be better before enthusiast cars started slowly dying.

I think it looks brilliant. Possibly unpopular, but it's the best looking Celica in my opinion.

It doesn't detract from its uncoolness though. Any time I've seen one it's been driven by the sort of prat who isn't really into cars but has played enough Gran Turismo to know what the term JDM means and has a copy of Max Power nearby.

It cannot transcend past that and into the upper echelons.

Uncool

From my perspective Celica models always had issues with appearance. This particular model emphasized organic body outlines, which can be either hit or miss depending on how much you value such design. I think it looks unusual in a negative way, they did much better job on the facelifted E110 Corolla with the same design method.

In GT games it was always too slow to compensate for its looks. Barely Meh.

I gave it SZ because it's just one of the coolest captures to me of 90s japanese sport cars built for racing. It did cool before the MkIV was a thing.

I guess SUBRC can be said about the F40 because it was a racecar right? Oh and the F1 too. And the super cool whatever jdm french mobile as well ahahaa

No cause those aren't Race cars in the voted trim. When an actual race car gets put up for a vote, then yeah easily cause they're not realistic cars to vote upon as if we'd ever get a chance to drive them. And even if we did, not in a forum where it could actually be judged cool or not.

Not going to SU or Uncool it because the rally-car cheated. A very good looking car in it's road-homologated version, and the rally version was one of my favorite cars to drive in GT4. High cool.

This would make much more sense if someone had actually mentioned SUBRC before you. But as far as I can see no one before you has. :confused:

And everyone after him did so basically with the same reasoning as you, maybe he brought it up just to stop it before it happens?

"... however one team was caught running sophisticated, illegal turbo systems and were given a one-year ban."

That brought it down hefty from a High Cool to a VERY LOW Uncool. Freaking wowzers.

TIL about that. That's terrible.

"... however one team was caught running sophisticated, illegal turbo systems and were given a one-year ban."

That brought it down hefty from a High Cool to a VERY LOW Uncool. Freaking wowzers.
But the cheating wasn't car's fault, it couldn't do anything to prevent the humanoid units from taking such measures...

Well considering you guys ask those of us that say it all the time, that's usually the reason given. What part of that exactly is stupid and difficult to grasp?
It's not difficult to grasp, it's quite bluntly stupid. There is absolutely no connection between physical accessibility and coolness. Not being able to drive a car has nothing to do with whether or not it is cool. It's like saying the International Space Station is uncool because you'll very likely never live there. Or Picasso's paintings are uncool because you'll never have one hanging in your house. Just because something is not realistically obtainable doesn't make it uncool. It's a nonsensical reason only invented to arbitrarily perpetuate this horrible, baseless, stupid thing that is SUBRC.

Back