Torque: 230-280 lb-ft
Weight: 1718 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front wheel drive​

1995-Buick-Riviera_21517.jpg
1997-buick-riviera-1.jpg
buick-riviera-1996-pics-286284.jpg
buick-riviera-1999-pictures-286329.jpg

Much like the third generation, these go from looking incredibly striking and handsome from some angles to completely ridiculous in others. The horrible wheel and tire packages they usually left from the factory with didn't help.

However, just like with its brother the Aurora, it's very impressive that stodgy, hopeless 90s GM offered a car that far out of the norm at all. It was GM actually trying. Trying in a market that was already pretty much dead and GM would have known was pretty much dead since the better looking Eldorado was steadily losing sales, and not trying as hard as Ford did with the Continental Mark VIII; but between this, the Aurora, the Greyhound Seville and the Intrigue, GM was probably putting more effort into making actually competitive cars than they were the entire rest of their car lineup combined.

Uncool, but not as hopelessly so as a contemporary Monte Carlo.

Last edited:
Not the riviera we knew and loved. And plus, no manual gear for it even available? Is this a joke? The car, sure is one, and not the good kind.

To the bottom of the ocean with this one.

While I might have voted meh, the aftermath of the Aries thread made me reconsider that thought and think that almost every 80's and 90's American car is seriously uncool. Don't ask which ones are not.

You've also gotta read the original nomination, it's WL98 being W&N again, with subjective "information" as additional information.

My archiving skills are showing. I know I didn't vote in the Cool Wall in the time of W&N.

I actually drove a few of these working at the Ford dealer, and later Nissan. Trade ins, I got a little tickled when the cars would greet you, good evening in text for example.

As far as driving goes they were ok, just the big marshmallow you expect it to be. Comfortable seating up front too. I never really opened one up, because why would you?

Uncool, a very low one.

Seriously Uncool. Like @Tornado said, it's looks almost entirely depend on where you're looking at it from. I think it would look a lot better with different wheels and without all the chrome bits. It did remind me that I have a bit of a soft spot for the Aurora though.

Its tail is just so long. Sooooooo long.

SU, because I'll assume you're approximately 85 years old if I see you driving one.

Uncool, mainly because it isn't an Aurora. It also escapes seriously uncool since it provided a major source of income to the town I grew up in since they made this maybe a mile from where my parents lived.

I've ridden in a couple of these. Not bad looking, comfortable, and fairly quick with the L67.

Cool.

I, ehm, kinda like it. It's a decent oddball in a time of blah.

Doesn't make it anywhere near cool though.

I don't know about you but that front end looks like a happy stingray, so that's super cool.

I have a soft spot for 90's Buicks like the Le Sabre and Park Avenue which kinda looked like this Riviera but longer and less melted! For it's unique Art Deco styling and barge like presence I would say cool :sly:

Back