Engines: 2.7L 3RZ-FE I4, 3.4L 5VZ-FE V6, 3.0L 1KZ-TE turbodiesel I4
Power: 2.7 - 150 hp, 3.4 - 190 hp, 3.0 turbodiesel - 130 hp
Torque: 2.7 - 177 lb-ft, 3.4 220 lb-ft, 3.0 turbodiesel - 211 lb-ft
Weight: 1783 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive or front-engine, all wheel drive
Additional Information: Optional electronic locking differential.​

1997_Toyota_4Runner_01_f177029c-9c33-4751-b429-9ac3ceb1c6be-prv.jpg
524481d1377796254-toyota-4-runner-sr5-4wd-2001-ocasion-llamar-al-99810-9520-aa-7-.jpg
2001-toyota-4runner-interior.jpg

My aunt loved hers to death, capable off road, and very reliable. Uncool, but not seriously so.

Not a bad SUV, but...meh. I'll give it a cool on the basis of its bullet-proof reliability as a Toyota.

The original 4Runner/Hilux Surf wins a cool from me, but this is pretty pedestrian in general.

As many said beforehand, thank god this isn't the glitzy, LCD screen in every possible place, rap mogul type SUV that seems to be popular. (Or at least was popular a few years back, I'm not so sure nowadays.)

Meh.

I'm maybe a little biased, but personally I believe this is the best used SUV you can purchase on the market. I've had plenty of seat time in a 2002 SR5 and it's very capable off road yet is still perfectly comfortable and smooth going 75 down the highway, and they're plenty affordable. Look great with a small lift and some TRD wheels and the sport package hood scoop, preferably green, and probably one of my favorite SUV designs.

Sub Zero, I have a massive soft spot for 4Runners. :P

The first time I was ever behind the wheel was in one of these things. Didn't care for it then and still don't care for it now. Uncool.

Biased opinion (As a driver of one and the one who nominated this thing) but I love these things and they are very underrated compared to earlier Toyota Trucks and SUVs. Easy to drive anywhere and aren't killer to buy like the Tacomas are and just as modifiable. Despite it being slow and fuel guzzling I quite like it.

Sub-Zero

Meh, I find most SUVs from the 1990s and up to be boring or tacky. This one is just boring, it serves its purpose well, but it's not cool.

Even though I prefer the first generation 4runner since I have one. This is still a very cool car.

It's a mid-late 90s BoF SUV that does so little to stand out that it even looks like a face-lift of the same model from the beginning of the decade. It's probably one of the better ones considering who made it, and certainly not as uncool as a contemporary Grand Cherokee, but it's terminally boring. The current one is decently cool, though.

Biased opinion (As a driver of one and the one who nominated this thing) but I love these things and they are very underrated compared to earlier Toyota Trucks and SUVs. Easy to drive anywhere and aren't killer to buy like the Tacomas are and just as modifiable. Despite it being slow and fuel guzzling I quite like it.

Sub-Zero

The 3.4 was leaps and bounds better than the 3.0 that came before it. I had a 1997 4x4 4Runner and got 21 mpg. Not bad for 90's V6 with more than 200K miles on it. I as well have a huge soft spot for Toyota trucks. My first vehicle was a 1986 4Runner. Cool.

The 3.4 was leaps and bounds better than the 3.0 that came before it. I had a 1997 4x4 4Runner and got 21 mpg. Not bad for 90's V6 with more than 200K miles on it. I as well have a huge soft spot for Toyota trucks. My first vehicle was a 1986 4Runner. Cool.

Definetly agree. Of course fuel economy in the 90's and early 2000's wasn't the big deal it is now, but as a broke teenager in 2016 you definetly feel the lightening of your wallet at the pump.

But as an SUV/Truck it is brilliantly reliable and very utilitarian while stilling being comfortable and not barbaric. Yet apparently if its not a sports/super car its not cool so thats why this thing is going to end up low meh/little uncool.

But as an SUV/Truck it is brilliantly reliable and very utilitarian while stilling being comfortable and not barbaric. Yet apparently if its not a sports/super car its not cool so thats why this thing is going to end up low meh/little uncool.
Is that why the J40 Land Cruiser and fourth-gen Hilux are Cool?

Personally, it's not old enough yet. It's not as simple or attractive as its predecessors, and not very unique or foreign to see around here. It's a great vehicle, I've driven one, but not cool (yet).

No, it's going to end up middle of the road uncool because it stands out so little for the time period it was developed in that it might as well be a template for when game companies make generic knockoffs of popular vehicles.

No, it's going to end up middle of the road uncool because it stands out so little for the time period it was developed in that it might as well be a template for when game companies make generic knockoffs of popular vehicles.
There are some examples of exactly that.

I've always had a soft spot for them — they really aren't the 4(school)Runner, as some may have suggested — but it's aggressively boring to look at. I'm fighting to even keep typing this. It's a struggle... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Whoops. Uncool it is.

Back