• Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1995 NASCAR SuperTruck nominated by @Jahgee1124
24DupontSTref-vi.jpg

Engine: 6.0L V8
Power Output: 650-700 hp (unrestricted), ~450 hp (restricted)
Torque: 520 lb-ft
Weight: 1542 kg
Transmission: 4 speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Racing Class: NASCAR SuperTruck Series (Later became the Craftsman Truck Series and is currently the Camping World Truck Series)
Additional Information: "The idea for the Truck Series dates back to 1991. A group of SCORE off-road racers (Dick Landfield, Jimmy Smith, Jim Venable, and Frank "Scoop" Vessels) had concerns about desert racing's future, and decided to create a pavement truck racing series. They visited NASCAR Western Operations Vice President Ken Clapp to promote the idea, who consulted Bill France, Jr. with the idea, but the plans fell apart. Afterwards, Clapp told the four to build a truck before NASCAR considered the idea. Bakersfield fabricator Gary Collins built a prototype truck, which were first shown off during Speedweeks for the 1994 Daytona 500. The truck proved to be popular among fans, and NASCAR arranged a meeting in a Durbank, California hotel on April 11, 1994; the meeting ultimately led to the creation of the "SuperTruck Series". Four demonstration races were held during the season at Mesa Marin Raceway had six trucks, Portland Speedway, Saugus Speedway and Tucson Raceway Park. Tucson held four events that winter, which were nationally televised during the Winter Heat Series coverage. Tools line Craftsman served as the sponsor of the series on a three-year deal, though the series was renamed to the "Craftsman Truck Series" in 1996. In addition, the series' $580,000 purse is larger than the Busch Grand National Series' fund. While a new series, it garnered immediate support from many prominent Winston Cup Series team owners and drivers. Prominent Cup owners Richard Childress, Rick Hendrick, and Jack Roush owned truck teams, and top drivers such as Dale Earnhardt and Ernie Irvan also fielded SuperTrucks for others. The series also attracted the attention of drivers like sprint car racing star Sammy Swindell, Walker Evans of off-road racing fame, open-wheel veteran Mike Bliss, and Atlanta Falcons head coach Jerry Glanville. The inaugural race, the Skoal Bandit Copper World Classic at Phoenix International Raceway, was held on February 5; the race, featuring an event-record crowd of 38,000 spectators, concluded with eventual series champion Mike Skinner holding off Cup veteran Terry Labonte to win".​

57FB77AE8B8247F985A1B4D9153F0721.ashx.jpg
140305_butchmiller-supertruck4nov95.jpg
ast9528em.jpg

I've just about had it with the SUBRC crew. Now you want to ban racecars as well? 👎

I take it you missed the memo?

But yes. It was my decision to follow the wishes of the previous curator regarding purpose-built race cars and their place on the current wall. The criteria for both road and race vehicles differs to the point where I can't rightly use the same means of judging which elements make a race car cool when the same methods doesn't apply to an equivalent road car. Hence my abstinence in the vast majority of race car threads rather than going down the SUBRC route.

And incase you wish to claim that I'm joining said "SUBRC crew" here, my vote here is based more on the body style than its exploits in motorsport.

If anybody is willing enough to start another wall dedicated to race cars, feel free to knock your socks off. Perhaps then the voting patterns you loathe will no longer be an issue. 👍

Last edited:
I've just about had it with the SUBRC crew. Now you want to ban racecars as well? 👎
You could just ask @GranTurismo916, as he's the one who came up with the rule. Bit ironically to prevent these sorts of "stop voting race cars seriously uncool" arguments from happening.

Anyway, it's a pick-up turned into a NASCAR race car. As far as I know all are ridiculously uncool.

Last edited:
The Craftsman Trucks were really nifty during that particularly dorky time in NASCAR history when NASCAR was trying as hard as it could to make the Cup series reinforce everything people learned from watching Days of Thunder. I mean:

9603_112_01_i%2Bnascar_supertruck%2Bdiehard.jpg

That is at least a plausible facsimile, albeit one that's obviously more S-10 sized than anything. And, look:

DodgeRamVTS1994.jpg

Lance_Norick_L%26R_Racing_Dodge_1998.jpg

The Dodge even carries over the Dodge things!

Ford_F150_1995.jpeg

st9528em.jpg

The Ford carries the Ford things!

Tangible visual relationships (even with minor things, like the B pillar shapes and body character lines), and (incredibly vague) mechanical relationships, between what is sold and what is raced. I can absolutely see how people would find that cool. There is honesty in that. It's a charade of honesty, but it is easily close enough that people would be willing to let it go. Even a few years later, after the aerodynamic F-150, NASCAR still didn't screw around with it:

stacy_compton_1997_11_01.jpg

Especially since this was around the exact time where the Cup cars abandoned the facade that the Lumina and Thunderbird had managed to keep going from the 1980s in favor of stupidity like this:

60891_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Because certain manufacturers were complaining that they couldn't compete if they kept their cars looking like the road models. In a perfect world, NASCAR would have seen this and made a course correction for the Cup cars to this sort of pseudo-honesty. In this world, they did the opposite:

75foodandcountryleft.jpg

Seriously, hopelessly uncool.

Last edited:
Seriously Uncool. It goes straight to the deepest pit of Automotive Hell, even deeper than Prius.

There could be a wall for racecars, it apparently just can't be a cool wall.

I think it's been pointed out a couple times now, I'm surprised someone hasn't started a Race Care Cool Wall in the Motorsports section. Seems like it would satisfy both crowds.

It's a truck but it's not even that heavy compared to most modern cars. And it has a powerful engine so it'd probably be fun to drive. Also has a bona fide manual transmission. I think it's pretty cool.

With the exception of the rainbow warrior cars/trucks, anything involved in left-turn racing is generally uncool.

Back