• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1995 Nissan Skyline GTR Autech nominated by Roger the Horse

1997-Nissan-Skyline-GT-R-Sedan-Autech-BCNR33_rear.JPG

Stats:
Production: 1995
Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: RB26DETT 157 ci/2,569 cc turbocharged DOHC inline 6 (rated "276" HP & 264 lb-ft)
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, All-wheel-drive​

Last edited:
As much as I love the idea of a 4-door R33 Skyline GT-R, I can't bring myself to love this one.

Meh.

Last edited:
Cool.

Loses points for that ugly rear end, and for being so closely associated with the drifter/yobo crowd.
However its still an absolutely formidable car, very technologically advanced for its time, extremely performant while at the same time being practical and reliable.
Arguably the best 90s sports saloon from Japan.

Uncool.

I really like Skyline sedans, and have at some points entertained the idea of importing one (an R34, more likely) from Japan, since they're dirt cheap out there.

However, it's still just a Nissan sedan in the eyes of average Joe. And while I quite like the way it looks, it isn't "traditionally" good looking - more on the anonymous side of nicely-styled. And it being an Autech version means very little to all but a very few people.

Meh, only the 4 door R32's and R34's looked good. But hey, it'd be pretty cool to own one of these I guess, but they just need a better looking rear end and they'd be right.

ER34 with a GT-R front end, perfect.

Not favoured by modders who prefer the more common coupe design, and this version is rare enough that not many people would be willing to mess about with them much anyway. So I guess those are the plus points.

In making it a more family-friendly saloon, it doesn't have the same impact you get the regular GT-R. Instead it looks more like a lower spec Skyline someone stuck a GT-R front end onto. And while I do think the rear end looks fine if you're looking at it from directly behind, the rear quarter proportions seem off altogether.

Just about low enough to slip into uncool territory, although there is an element of likability about it. An equivalent 4-door GTS would probably get away with a meh vote. But the unlike the Autech, it has a front end that suits a car with that shape.

Last edited:
They took a Skyline, originally cool, and gave it four doors, bringing it to meh. Sports sedans are rarely uncool in my opinion; this one would be cool if it wasn't supposed to be a 2+2.

Skylines have always had four doors and they still have them today, what makes this uncool to people is that it's a GT-R variant turned into a business exec car with four doors. And let's not even get started on the fact that the rear end looks like that from a Silvia with aftermarket GT-R mimic rear lights and bumper.

It has a rear window wiper, I've not noticed that on a saloon before.
Some manufacturers used to offer them as factory options, but the trend seemed to die out some time in the 1990s. Other than for styling reasons, I'm not sure why - saloons aren't the most aerodynamic of shapes in the first place, which means there's little to lose by bunging a wiper there, and because turbulence tends to dump dirt on surfaces, a wiper is arguably more important on a saloon rear screen than it is on a fastback shape.

If they'd kept the back end looking like the GT-R, it would be cool. Instead they made it look like a dumpy generosaloon.

This rings for me as well. I love 4-door jets, but this one doesn't look like a jet. It really needs more visuals. Meh.

An amazing, practical sleeper. There are few cooler four doors available.

Sub zero in my book, four door R33s in general are a very cool car - chuck an RB26DETT in and you've got a real winner!

Sleepers are played out and weren't even that cool to begin with. Some would argue that the point of sleepers is to be a bit uncool.

This car in particular looks more like a generic sedan that got a Skyline body kit.

Sleepers are played out and weren't even that cool to begin with. Some would argue that the point of sleepers is to be a bit uncool.
That would include me.

Sleepers are supposed to look boring (= uncool). Factory sleepers - Q-cars - are supposed to look boring but be a sort of car geek (= uncool) in-joke (= uncool). And most of the time you're not going fast in them, so to any untrained eye it's just a boring car (= uncool).

Meanwhile, overtly aggressive performance cars make you look like a bit of a dick (= uncool).

Cool is a performance car that looks sufficiently different as to not hide its light under a bushel, but not offensively in-your-face about it. The regular GT-R actually does a reasonable job of it - most people could tell it's something meant to be a bit quick just from looking at it, but it doesn't have a truly ridiculous wing, or fins, strakes and vents, nor does it look like a metal wang.

The rear end has such an odd look. Almost like eyebrows.

Which makes this a Milhouse. Uncool.

R33 Sedan itself is cool, and being converted to GT-R with an RB26 boosts it up to SZ for me.
This back is great. :drool:
img_0001.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Outside of Gran Turismo, I tend to think of Skylines as being cool cars, especially the GT-R. Additionally, the R33 is in my opinion the best looking GTR.

BUT, that's the coupe model, with a non-ugly back end. AND, this one is rare and unusual enough that you're probably not going to see one on the Bayshore Route packing 800 horsepower. It becomes a fast, but anonymous luxury sedan.

Low meh or high uncool, haven't decided yet.

I voted cool, wasn't really aware of this and I don't mind the back end. I like Skylines though not an uberfan, and you do see a few around here so this is different enough to stand out to me, in the right ways.

Back