Engines:
3-phase AC induction electric motor with IGBT power inverter
Power: 137 hp
Torque: 110 lb-ft.
Weight: NiMH: 1319 kg; Lead-acid: 1400 kg
Transmission: Single-speed reduction integrated with motor and differential
Drivetrain: Front motor, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe
Additional Info: "Had one of the lowest drag coefficients of any production vehicle, at an astonishing 0.19"​
gm-ev1.jpg

General_Motors_EV1_im_Museum_Autovision.jpg

ev1.jpg

208170913_2c6db2bf7a_o.jpg

gm-ev1-rear-three-quarter.jpg
1996_General_Motors_EV1_005_9699.jpg

DN548-0014.jpg

The car itself is subzero as it's one of those cars that's way ahead of it's time (when was the last time you heard that about a GM vehicle?). However the way GM handled it brings it down to seriously uncool.

I blame this for making everybody think that electric cars and hybrids absolutely MUST look as dorky as possible. At the same time, it was such a great idea. Seriously uncool.

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute...
honda_insight.jpg

Does anybody else see any similarities?

Last edited:
Uhmmmm, no. Not only they are completely different cars but the only visual resemblence between the two I see are the covered rear wheels.
...and the headlights, and the wheels, and the taillights, and most of the rear end...
Okay fine, I suppose it's not a completely blatant copy, but ask yourself this: If the EV-1 had never existed, do you honestly think the Insight would have looked exactly the same as it did?

Oh god my eyes :ill: :yuck: Seriously Uncool. And I thought that GM couldn't produce anything uglier than Aztec..

Are you suggesting that the whole Honda lineup of the time was directly influenced by the EV-1?
Not even remotely! If anything, most of Honda's lineup was pretty original. I am, however, suggesting that the EV-1's styling hadn't been done before its release. And since the Honda definitely does have at least a few styling cues that the EV-1 introduced, I just don't think the Honda's design is 100% original. You can think what you want, you're entitled to your own opinions as much as I am. I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, I'm just trying to express it.

INB4 "Who killed the Electric Car" Conspiracy Theories.

Hmmm... interesting car, but I believe the Insight was the more important car of the time.

Unlike the Insight and Prius, the EV1 is a perfect example of building to regulations. Yes, GM was working on electrics before the EV1, but it was the California mandate for zero emissions that forced them to sell... erh... lease the EV1.

GM was really torn on the EV1... spent an inordinate amount of money on it, forgot to advertise it. Lost money on every single one made. Then when the zero emissions mandate was overturned, GM dropped the program like a hot potato, crushing the cars to free itself of any liability lawsuits that might follow people buying, tinkering with and blowing up outdated cars with no product support. (No... sorry... duh Oil Companiez dint maek em do it, George.)

Flickering between meh and uncool. The only "cool" green car from the time for me was the G1 Insight.

A bold step two decades ago, which eventually became a black mark in the EV's history. So flaming uncool.

I am, however, suggesting that the EV-1's styling hadn't been done before its release.

They were separate attempts at killing drag based on a design trend that took off in the 1930s (which also happened to see a modern resurgence in the 1980s through concept vehicles like the Pontiac Pursuit). So of course they'd have comparable design cues.

Last edited:
It was great in theory, but tainted the image of all future EVs before Tesla came along. Seriously Uncool.

Back