Jahgee1124
1996-1999 Toyota Starlet Glanza V nominated by @INEEDNAWZZZ
glanza-jpg.181677

Body Style: 3 Door Hatchback, 5 Door Hatchback
Engine: 1.3L Turbocharged I4
Power Output: 135 HP
Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic, 5 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Front Wheel Drive
Additional Information: For safety, Toyota included a 'lo-boost' switch, which controlled a solenoid that bumped the turbo down from 0.65 bar of boost to 0.4 instead. Top speed is electronically limited to 112 MPH.

What is the point? Why take a crappy little car and try to make it fast? It's like an Abarth 500 but without the cool decals or the history.

Seriously Uncool.

Uncool, not only is it bland to look at, it has a terrible name as Starlet makes me think a highschool girl is going to pop out of it and Glanza V sounds like a painful medical condition.

Turbo charged.

Makes 134 hp.

I don't know if trolling or not..

AHAhahA I was gonna say something ironic about this car then read this and decided to quote it because it is vastly better than anything I could have come up with.

Also uncool.

Last edited:
Credit to Toyota for turning one of the dullest 90s hatches into something vaguely tepid. Even though that's exactly what they did earlier in the decade with the arguably cooler Starlet GT turbo.

Stock models were still relatively boring compared to rival hatches. And while there are tastefully modified examples out there, they're little more than jazzed-up white goods. Uncool.

It didn't even get alloy wheels! Come on! :lol:

I wonder how many Glanza Vs still have OEM wheels.

I'm guessing it's less than 10.

It was dull, then Toyota added parts to make it faster and after that they downgraded it, one thing didn't chance, it was still dull. Uncool.

What is the point? Why take a crappy little car and try to make it fast? It's like an Abarth 500 but without the cool decals or the history.

Seriously Uncool.
Why take any car and make it fast.

Last edited:
Turbo charged.

Makes 134 hp.

I don't know if trolling or not..

135 hp is about twice what your typical 1.3 liter motor produced at the time. So, yeah... it's pretty decent.

-

The car itself, however... doesn't matter how much power a Starlet has... it's still a Starlet.

If it were this Starlet:
5.jpg

It'd get a greasy, rusty, rat-roddy-ruddy cool. This was the chainsaw-buzzing autocross hero of my childhood.

Since it isn't... meh.

Hi. I'm Generic 1990's Japanese Car #129. You might remember me from my famous role as "Last Page Garage Trash" in GT4 or "Did anyone actually buy this game?" in Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2.

Drift 2? Go back further to TXR 3 where it meant nothing on the highways. :lol:

Love this car, I want one, but man is it uncool.

Done up right, they can look pretty cool. Standard, I still think they're pretty cool. I think following @INEEDNAWZZZ's thread of his might have influenced me to like them more, though. :P

A very likeable car that's relatively fun to drive for what it is.

Most definitely not cool to anyone outside of particular circles and we all know car bores who would recognise one of these aren't cool.

Guess I'll give it a meh.

It's one of those cars you don't see often anymore thus making them fairly rare.

But even so, they still don't get a second glance from me.
Meh.

I quite like this car but, it's definitely not cool, it's uncool because it's a warmed version of a meh car.

Only ever seen on rough council estates driven by guys in sportswear and baseball caps. The Europeans were making much better hot hatches at that time. SU.

It didn't even get alloy wheels! Come on! :lol:

Nerdy moment coming in here; 14" alloys were an option and a wildly popular one at that. It's actually way harder to find a standard one with the admittedly crappy wheel trims, which the one pictured just happens to have.

As for my vote, a small, turbocharged variant of a relatively vanilla car with a big scoop in the bonnet, a silly name that makes no sense, decals on the side, and being different from the norm of other Japanese performance cars makes this a solid cool for me.

And yet, I can totally understand how all of those things could be perceived as uncool or gaudy by both other car enthusiasts and just random passers-by. Plus, there was a period where (over here anyway) these became cheap enough to buy and insure by young guys who didn't really know what they were doing. As a result, there became abused examples that have had their boost cranked up with no other alterations and have become FUBAR. And I will admit, older models had way more charm than this did.

Don't have it in my heart to give it uncool when it should be, since it was still fairly capable for its day as it was, so meh it is.

It would be a fairly decent warm hatch if it didn't become boy racer material. Uncool.

It looks mundane, has a low power output, probably doesn't sound the best, and is a Japanese hatchback from the 90's.

Uncool, almost seriously so.

"Did anyone actually buy this game?" in Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2.

Yes, I actually bought that game. And it was trash in that, along with its incarnations in the previous games. Even the kei cars could be faster (including the engine swaps in TXR3... V8 in a Cappuccino.)

Meh. Doesn't do anything remotely different from anything else on the market at the time. I'd like one, but it's just not doing anything special.

Latest Posts

Back