2-door coupe
Engine: 3.7L air-cooled flat six
Power: 296 hp
Torque: 262 lb-ft
Weight: 1270 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
The Carrera RS is a lightweight variant of the Carrera. On the outside it is easily distinguishable by a special non-retractable rear wing, small front flaps and 3-piece 18-inch aluminium wheels. The headlight washers were deleted for weight saving reasons. Inside the rear seats were removed, and special racing seats and spartan door cards were installed. Sound proofing was also reduced to a minimum.
It was street legal in European and many other countries around the world, but was not approved for export to the United States. As with the relative low production-quantity RS variants of earlier 911 types, some Porsche owners will turn to the standard Carrera and modify it into an RS clone as an enthusiast's attempt to own something that otherwise is unobtainable due to the rarity and consequent high market value of the RS. The practice, often using authentic Porsche-sourced RS parts, is perhaps more common amongst U.S. owners, since the RS/RS Clubsport was never certified for sale there. 0-60mph : 5s / Top Speed : 172 mph​

1996-porsche-911-carrera-rs-3-8-72718_41b9ef69e9fd5b27_858x617.jpg

dsc_0285.jpg

1995-Porsche-993-Carrera-RS-for-sale.jpg
9544.jpg
porsche-993-rs-cs.jpg
image-thumb.png

I much prefer the standard RS, which is what my UT model depicts. The Club Sport is too full on, IMO.

Not sure how cool having to explain how it's different to other 911s is, though. Medium cool at most.

It's not the best 993 in my opinion (that would either have to be the CTR2 or the 993 GT2), but it's cool enough to warrant a low Sub-Zero from me. Any rear-engined, rear wheel drive sports car is Sub-Zero.

Oh, the 993, probably the most overrated of all the 911 generations along with the 930 because it's what most of the RWBs are based upon.

As much as I like the 993, it's uncool. Not being a GT2 saves it from SU.

VXR
I much prefer the standard RS, which is what my UT model depicts. The Club Sport is too full on, IMO.

The CS brings it down enough for me to hold off from voting lest I go with Meh. It's obviously less overblown compared to a racing-bred GT2, but the CS kit and track day paraphernalia on an existing RS marked the point where the 993 lost its poise.

I'd say no other version of the 993 can best the Turbo in regard to bodywork.

Last edited:
The car is cool, having to sell your soul for one not so much. I give it a cool only purely due to the car and not the strings that muddle it up.

Never driven one, but have passengered in an RS on a track day at Oulton Park.

Usual Porsche comments apply - lovely noise, fabulous handling, brilliant cars. They just aren't cool.

That's a massive wing for a car with less than 300hp. Unsure of which way to vote on this.

It looks equally fantastic with the rear wing as it does ridiculous. Last of the 'old' Porsches? An absolutely stunning vehicle but not a cool one; plonker's car.

Seriously Uncool

Love 993s, pretty cars (even with the rather OTT tail) and still interesting cars, sticking with the air-cooled set up and whatnot. What is also fun is reading all the comments, how deliberately contrary people are about certain cars, and how some people think they can define a kind of objective "coolness", which as I've argued before, is something of an abstract notion.

So a solid "Cool" then. I think these cars are pretty Cool.

I don't know. Tell me how it is 'overrated'?
What makes the 993 overrated?

I'm kind of at a loss for why this is such an alien concept. For years after it went out of production the 993 was the Last True Porsche™, the Ultimate Interpretation of the historic 911 family, the purist's choice of performance car; and the 996 was the Imitator, the Glorified Boxster, the Destruction of the 911 legacy. And while the contempt for anything made after the 993 has gone away for the special models that Porsche makes nowadays, which sell for sticker and then are immediately resold for double their price, it's kind of odd to be oblivious to the pedestal any Porsche without a radiator sits on which has become higher and higher in recent years.

Back