Engines:
4.6L Supercharged V8 (Ford Modular)
Power: 500 hp
Torque: 454 lb-ft.
Weight: 1100 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Additional Info: "In 1997 the Mantis name was re-used on a 2-seater coupé or convertible road car based on the LM series powered by the 4.6 litre all-aluminium quad-cam Ford 'Modular' engine producing 327 bhp (244 kW; 332 PS) and capable of 170 mph (270 km/h). To accommodate the engine the bonnet of the Mantis was significantly remodelled from the previous LM range (that used the Rover V8), and the upper chassis rails in the engine bay were widened. Price for the Mantis was £46883.

In 1998 it was decided to supercharge the engine to produce the first British production sports car with over 500 bhp (373 kW; 507 PS), this being named the Mantis GT. Using a Vortech supercharger, and intercooler the Mantis GT engine produced 506 bhp (377 kW; 513 PS), which could accelerate the car from 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds. Price for the Mantis GT was £64331.

Production of the Mantis was 51 cars, with 16 being the supercharged GT version (this does not include the Mantis Challenge race cars)."​
4199345055_bd25c6478a_b.jpg

marcos-mantis-gt-2.jpg

mantis-gt-02.jpg

11621670876_1ccf187981_b.jpg

9625481620_917f9aef70_b.jpg

Last edited:
The perfomance figures look interesting enough, but the design is a little too clumsy (like most Marcos cars, really). Of course, it wasn't helped by Marcos' on-off life.

Uncool.

Lovably bizarre just like the LM500 before it. To the point where both take pride of place on my current dream car list.

Still too goofy to be cool.

It looks like its smiling nervously.

That's the sad, resigned smile of the middle-aged middle management guy who just got passed over for a promotion for the fifth time, despite always being at work on time and finishing his work before everyone else. He's reasonably fit, friendly and a valuable asset to the company, but he looks like the dog's breakfast.

He's standing there, watching his Cool Wall Voting average go down, down, down... hoping we'll change our minds because he's so chipper and polite.

At the end of the day, though, it's not going to work. Time to to go home and drown his sorrows in some cheap whiskey bought at a convenience store on the walk home. After that, possibly a cold shower before curling up in a ball in bed and crying himself to sleep.

-

You cruel, heartless people.

hmm... looks like I'm being contrary today, on the opposite side of popular opinion again on this one. I'd give it a low cool. I think it would generate more interest than ridicule if it pulled up at a fancy restaurant. I bet the few out there still get driven from time to time. And I bet it's a great car to drive. But yeah, you would look like a bit of a dork getting out of one, so only a low cool.

Wow, mixed reactions from the crowd. Interesting.

I dunno about some of the guys here but I quite like the styling. And it has the combination of small, light car & big, powerful engine. Should be fun to drive it and throw it around race tracks.

Cool for me.

As much as I do like the Mantis, it honestly looks like a kit car that someone built in their back shed on the weekends.

Uncool.

Always looked like a kit car to me.

Similar in concept to a TVR, just not very well executed.

Uncool.

I don't know why nobody said this but only 51 of this car were made so i guess it's mostly in the Museum or owned by some rice person who will keep it inside some garages collecting dust so Seriously Uncool.

Actually I voted Uncool.

The Mantis and associated LMs are one of these British cars I'm fascinated by. Love-it-or-hate-it looks. Completely bat:censored: insane. (See also: Morgan Aero 8, Bristol Fighter, TVR Speed 12, Invicta S1, MG SVR etc)

In a world where everything's getting steadily and cripplingly more sensible, it gets a Sub-Zero from me just for existing.

mth0102.jpg

It looks like it doesn't know what it wants to be, but it does have some racing prestige. I say meh, the TSO GTC is better.

Ah, screw it. Cool.

Nice new Avatar there, Cano! Wangan Midnight is one of my guilty pleasures. At certain moments, when the music is just right, Akuma Zed racing hard, I get goosebumps, every time. Reina's a nice character, too!

Sub-Zero from me. Much overlooked, very fast cars with marmite styling admittedly. Not being polled, but here is the one-off road version of the LM600, for homologation purposes, as I previously shared in the CYDKAUT thread

Has all the right ingredients to be a cool car. But god is that ugly! The race version looks much better.

Just dips into uncool.

That's the sad, resigned smile of the middle-aged middle management guy who just got passed over for a promotion for the fifth time, despite always being at work on time and finishing his work before everyone else. He's reasonably fit, friendly and a valuable asset to the company, but he looks like the dog's breakfast.

He's standing there, watching his Cool Wall Voting average go down, down, down... hoping we'll change our minds because he's so chipper and polite.

At the end of the day, though, it's not going to work. Time to to go home and drown his sorrows in some cheap whiskey bought at a convenience store on the walk home. After that, possibly a cold shower before curling up in a ball in bed and crying himself to sleep.

-

You cruel, heartless people.
#SZforMantis everyone :lol:

Back