GTP Cool Wall: 1997 Hendrick Motorsports "Chevrolet Monte Carlo" #24 Jeff Gordon "T-Rex"

1997 Hendrick Motorsports "Chevrolet Monte Carlo" #24 Jeff Gordon "T-Rex"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1997 Hendrick Motorsports "Chevrolet Monte Carlo" #24 Jeff Gordon "T-Rex" nominated by Jahgee1124

3707803877_a809f2da36_o.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1997
Style: 0-door coupe
Engine: 358 CI naturally aspirated OHV V8 (estimated 650 HP)
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive​

This car was the product of a small skunk works within Hendrick Motorsports and was built to take advantage of all possible loopholes and omissions in the rulebook. It was effectively outlawed after one race, but returned in modified form and lost. This article goes into more details.

That article is usefull at being absolutely useless at saying anything about the car.

It had a custom suspension setup, aerodynamically shaped floor pan, and totally redesigned chassis. The car was later seized by NASCAR for use as an educational tool.

NASCAR had given them permission to build that car since it was going to be used in just that All-Star Race. Then afterwards they "banned" it and took it to see how things could be implemented, or not, on future generational designs. I'm not sure if any of those things were ever put to use though.

That's why I gave it an uncool vote.

Gave it a Meh. Don't mind NASCAR Cup Cars but seeing as though it was specially designed and then seized and barely used it's a kind of whats the point?

Even if it was rule book-slippery, which I love in a race car, it's still a freaking modern NASCAR car. Uncool.

Not a Lumina or a Thunderbird; and Lost World was an atrocious movie even with The Goldblum.

Even that article detailing why it was so special doesn't go much farther than to say "it was too fast" over and over and over again; so it shouldn't even appeal to the nerdy kids who ordinarily wouldn't be caught dead in the same county as a NASCAR race.

A normal NASCAR would normally be meh, but the fact that this car was built from the ground up to bend the rules makes it cool, and the fact that it was banned makes it sub-zero. It's cool in the same way the Chapparal 2J is cool.

Not a Lumina or a Thunderbird; and Lost World was an atrocious movie even with The Goldblum.

Terry Labonte's Kellogg's Corn Flakes livery > "Uh, uh... Mommy's very angry" livery

As with the last few race cars polled, I'll withhold my vote. Although it's glaringly obvious where this one is heading.

Cool,because it was made to "break the rules". Uncool because race car.
Seriously uncool because 90's nascar...mmm i'll give it a Meh

NASCAR folk must be good honest folk. About 50% of all the F1 cars designed since the 1950's have been 'bent' in one way or another. Christ, it's prevelent in most forms of Motorsport, even grass-roots clubby stuff.

Oh, goodie, another chance to excercise my motorsport "Cool Wall" parameters!

Rule bender, yeah. Murdered the competition and left them in awe, yeah. Driven by a legendary driver, yeah.

Still, seriously uncool because NASCAR. Nineties NASCAR.

Back