2-door coupe
Engine: 6.1L BMW V12
Power: 627 hp
Torque: 480 lbs-ft
Weight: 1120 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid-engine rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
- The F1 GT (nicknamed the Longtail) is the final incarnation of F1 roadcar. It was also meant to be a special homologation special due to its rivals the Porsche 911 GT1, Mercedes CLK GTR, Nissan R390 GT1, and Toyota GT-One having their road versions.
- This particular F1 is the more rarer F1 to find than the F1 LM.
Although conceived purely as a road car, the McLaren F1 triumphed against dedicated racing opposition to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1995 on its first attempt. But keeping pace with the competition in the years that followed would require the F1 GTR sports racer to undergo a radical transformation, resulting in one of the rarest, most distinctive McLaren road cars of all: the F1 GT, nicknamed the ‘Longtail’.

Instantly recognisable by its extended bodywork, the road-going F1 GT was intended as a one-off, built solely to satisfy FIA homologation requirements, the rules that demanded any racing car for the 1997 season be matched by the availability of a road-legal equivalent. That incredible rear bodywork was designed to enhance the GTR’s effectiveness at high speed – the racing version, known as the F1 GTR ’97 ‘Longtail’, had an additional rear wing, towering above the engine cover, but the downforce from the distinctive swept-up spoiler was judged to be enough for the road-going GT.

Constructed, like the rest of the bodywork, from carbon fibre, the F1 GT’s tail is clearly its most remarkable feature – but it’s by no means the only modification that was made for the 1997 season. The nose was extended to provide further aerodynamic downforce; the wheel arches were flared over the larger 18-inch alloys; and to top it all off (quite literally), the roof-mounted snorkel was enlarged to feed the 6.1-litre V12 with air. Altogether, the GT is over 600mm (two feet) longer than a standard McLaren F1 road car, as well as being over 100mm (four inches) wider.

Beneath this striking bodywork, the F1 GT came with a standard road car transmission. But the ‘Longtail’ did gain unique, remote-reservoir suspension dampers to cope with the extra downforce, and while the competition GTR version was required to run air restrictors, limiting power to 600bhp, the GT road car was not forced to endure such shackling, and could reach the full 627bhp.

With only three months to complete the project, McLaren pulled out all the stops to produce the required road car in time for the deadline, which was set for the season’s first race, even going so far as to produce a customer brochure. But as the new season loomed, it became clear that other manufacturers had failed to manage the same feat. The homologation deadline was extended to the final race of the season, effectively allowing McLaren’s competitors to field bespoke racing machines for the 1997 FIA GT championship.

While it’s fascinating to imagine what McLaren might have created working from the same blank sheet of paper, the F1 GTR ‘Longtail’ still achieved considerable success in 1997, driven by the likes of JJ Lehto, Steve Soper, Thomas Bscher and Ray Bellm, plus Chris Goodwin, who went on to become Chief Test Driver for McLaren Automotive. The ‘Longtail’ racers won five of the 11 FIA GT rounds that year, and finished second and third at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1997 against a strong field of prototype racing cars.

Although McLaren initially intended to produce just one road car to fulfil the eligibility requirements, it was always open to the possibility that there could be customer demand for such a machine. In fact, two further GT road cars were commissioned by existing F1 customers and completed in 1997, shortly before the end of F1 production. Both examples remain with private collectors. However, the car pictured here, ‘XP GT’, is still owned by McLaren, and is kept at the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, England. Finished in a deep bottle green, it’s arguably the most valuable of all, as this is the original, built for homologation.

The story of the ‘Longtail’ is not over though, and nearly 20 years after the ultimate evolution of the F1 was built, McLaren will unveil a new ‘Longtail’ at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show. The 675LT will stay true to the spirit of its iconic predecessor, with a focus on performance-optimised aerodynamics, increased downforce and reduced weight. It will be purest, most involving series-production McLaren supercar to date, and will join the McLaren Super Series later this year as a more track focused alternative to the established 650S coupé and Spider.

mclaren-f1-gt-3_800x0w.jpg
mclaren-f1-gt-4_800x0w.jpg

mclaren-f1-gt-2_800x0w.jpg

cbb4c417ae064118a50d7caf4dd20005.jpg
McLarenF1GT-1207_4.jpg

img_2148.jpg

I've had the privilege of seeing one of these in the wild, on the open road, and they're utterly incredible. They look like they drove straight off of a race track and the noise is on the same level, too. By all traditional metrics this should be hideously uncool, but for me this is sub zero as nothing will beat getting overtaken by one of these on a beautiful June day, only to find out that the exact same car I saw was on Top Gear that very evening.

I've always felt the regular F1 was one of the best looking cars of the 90's. The longtail on the other hand just ruins it for me.

It's still an F1 though so the lowest I can give it is an uncool.

I've never seen anyone vote SU because it's a supercar.
I've explained time and again why supercars are uncool. You don't have to agree - and to be honest I'm a little pleased that you don't.

I don't think that all supercars are uncool by default, but it seems like this guy does.

The McLaren F1, at least the base model, is one of my favorite cars of all time. It's up there with the original Mustang, the Miura, the R32, the E30, and the AE86 for me. However, sitting in the middle is my primary issue with it. Yes, I know why it was made that way - to make it a Formula One car for the road. The three-seat arrangement for the car makes it look gaudy, although practical (I might be stretching the definition of 'practical' here because I'm assuming that its owners just drive it by themselves).

Sorry, McLaren F1, but you're too ostentanious to be cool.

Ruins the pure lines of the original for the sake of competing in on one of the most silly periods in racing. Didn't Toyota convince officials that the fuel tank doubled as a storage area on the "road-going" GT-one?

Didn't Toyota convince officials that the fuel tank doubled as a storage area on the "road-going" GT-one?

I think so. To be fair, Mercedes' 'storage area' was even more ridiculous on the CLK GTR, and that's arguably the most developed road car out of all the homologation specials. Their storage compartment was in a spot underneath the car that would require the thing to be dis-assembled!

Uncool, ruins most of the lines that were so perfectly planted by Gordon Murray.

As far as racing models go for the F1, it's the short tail GTR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Long tail GTR, in my mind.

This car is cooler than the P1 will ever be.
Where in my post did i say anything about the P1? Overall i like the normal F1, But i didn't like this in particular version

Edit

Second time you do this to me now.. If you have a problem with how much i love the P1 just add me to you're ignore list simple

In a forum about how much we all love cars is there a rule that says i cant talk about how much i love the P1?

Last edited:
Good lord, I just read the press release in the OP:

The story of the ‘Longtail’ is not over though, and nearly 20 years after the ultimate evolution of the F1 was built, McLaren will unveil a new ‘Longtail’ at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show. The 675LT will stay true to the spirit of its iconic predecessor, with a focus on performance-optimised aerodynamics, increased downforce and reduced weight. It will be purest, most involving series-production McLaren supercar to date

How do the people who write this stuff sleep at night?

Yeah...no. It's too functional, too brash, to in-your-face, too cartoonish. The beauty of the original F1 design is that it it's as functional as it's pretty, this one sacrifices style for beauty. You, me and other car dorks may appreciate it, I would choose a GT over a "regular" F1 in a hearbeat, but to anyone else it's just an ugly kit-car version of the magnificent McLaren F1.

Uncool.

Good lord, I just read the press release in the OP:

How do the people who write this stuff sleep at night?

You know how often music reviews often times are written out to be exercises in writing wankery and only so they could flex their English degrees?

Well, car press releases are that. But trying to pump up buzzwords instead.

I would have gone for SZ if the GT had a spoiler available for the road version and not only for the race versions.

High Cool.

But hey, at least any of the 3 F1 GTs are not in the hands of a Arab billionaire/leader unlike the F1 LM which was owned the by the Sultan of Brunei.

Back