1997 SSC Programme Limited Thrust SSC nominated by @DCybertron
upload_2015-8-23_22-16-29-png.435826

Engines:
2 Rolls-Royce Spey 205 Turbofan Jet Engines
Power: 110,000 hp
Torque: 50,000 lb-ft.
Weight: 10,500 kg
Transmission: N/A
Drivetrain: Mid-engine (I guess? This is why we should just nominate regular vehicles).
"Racing" Class: Land speed record vehicle
Additional Info: "Currently holds the land-speed record, at 763 MPH. First (and currently only) car to break the sound barrier."​
8.jpg

thrust_ssc_1.jpg

ThrustSSC_front.jpg

173317-4.JPG
16517193192_12f12effa5_o.jpg

It's pretty cool that this thing broke the sound barrier, and that it kinda looks like a jet fighter in the cockpit but uh... where's the cup holders? Seriously Uncool man.

Just kidding, I voted Cool.

Telling someone you drove a car faster than the speed of sound will make you look like the biggest wazzock in the pub and among the small circle of friends you once now had.

SU.

I have a thing for land speed record cars. I like them a lot.

However, this is not the case. Meh.

Very capable at going insane speeds without losing a contact to the planet Earth. Not that it makes it a car or cool.

Britain's version of overcompensating a lack of something. Seriously Uncool. Also, in traditional British manner, it was also falling apart during the record run, not to mention that it did spend a moment airborne..

It's a feat it broke the sound barrier, but doesn't hide the fact this was just made to break speed records. One mistake, and it'll be your grave.

SU.

It's called the SuperSonic Car. And it really can back up that claim. That's worthy of a SZ.

No reverse gear, lack of decent rear visibility...besides hipsters are all about the Bloodhound now but genuinely cool retro hipsters like me dig the Blue Flame.

Not sure how to vote, guess I could base it on looks alone, and there are plenty more beautiful previous land speed record holders than this.

Just look at it.
BTW, you can't go wrong with a horsepower figure of 110,000... Sub Zero

Telling someone you drove a car faster than the speed of sound will make you look like the biggest wazzock in the pub and among the small circle of friends you once now had.

SU.
Actually it would probably be quite the opposite but ok.

A car in the sense that it could move under its own steam at one point while remaining grounded (for the most part). In every other respect, an aeronautically engineered tool aiming for breakable barriers and big numbers.

Sub Zero as a successful and once-mobile marvel. Laughably Uncool in the real world since its conception.

...Meh.

SU.

Andy Green lives this arduous life so that we don't have to.

Last edited:
Andy Green lives this arduous life so that we don't have to.

And to be fair to him, breaking land-speed records is only his hobby. His day job is the equally wazzocky piloting of RAF Tornados. ;)

Back