Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1998-1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR nominated by @ThrasherDBS

clk-gtr.JPG

Body Styles:
2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: 6.9L V12, 7.3L V12 (Super Sport)
Power: 604 hp, 655 hp (Super Sport)
Torque: 572 ft-lb, 580 ft-lb (Super Sport)
Weight: 1,440 kg
Transmission: 6-speed sequential manual
Drivetrain: Mid-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Info: Per FIA GT1 requirements for the FIA GT Championship, Mercedes-AMG made this homologation version of their LM Car. A total of 35 CLK-GTR road cars were produced: 2 prototypes, 7 racing variant coupes, and 26 road versions intended for sale. At the time of its release, it was in the Guinness Book of World Records for most expensive production car ever produced. Mercedes claimed a 0-100km/h time of 3.8 seconds, and a top speed of 199 mph.​
1350300707.jpg
mercedes%20elytre.jpg
mb-CLK-GTR-1.jpg
1998-mercedes-benz-clk-gtr--image-rm-auctions_100402729_m.jpg

1998-mercedes-benz-clk-gtr-roadster-interior.jpg

The road going version (only made for the sake of loophole abuse) of the earlier, considerably uglier version of the very pretty race car that couldn't keep its wheels on the ground.

This was about as close as one of these silly things ever got to actually being a car, and the only one with anything approaching longevity. Have to give it a low cool.

Ugly homologation special. Just uncool as the SS has an engine loosely related to the Zonda.

It's got paddles so it's not a gear-stick it's just a selector.

It's got paddles so it's not a gear-stick it's just a selector.

It also has a clutch pedal. Though that wasn't always a requirement when shifting, its use was highly recommended if you didn't want an early gearbox replacement.

Pretty archaic automated gearbox. "Up" and "Down" buttons haha. It was pretty state-of-the-art at the time though.
mb-CLK-GTR-7.jpg

"Up" and "Down" labels for the uninitiated, rather. :P

Ridiculously SZ, literally. I heart homologation cars. Spartan and not an easy drive reputedly, but stupidly fast even if toned down for road use. Mercedes' under-the-radar supercar, some time before the SLR and SLS AMG.

One of the homologations cars that should be in any racing game that features high-end road cars, especially Gran Turismo. Interesting in how this would fare against the newer supercars. I like how they stuck with their design philosophy at the time, because of that the design is a hit-or-miss. It's a hit for me though. Gets a very high Cool from me.

I really don't get why people think this car is so good looking. I thought it was hideous when I was a kid, and I still think that now.

The CLR is gorgeous though.

No idea how people get so excited about these - they are contrived, ugly museum pieces.

This quote captures all that's uncool with super/hyper cars... Most usually seen driving slowly round cities....

I would like nothing more in the world then to be driving a roadster version around Monaco or France.

The only people who think driving a car like this is cool are teenage boys and gold diggers. Everybody else just thinks you're a cock!

SU

Back