Engines:
2.2L I4 (H22A7)
Power: 209 hp
Torque: 164 lb-ft.
Weight: 1348 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan
Additional Info: "The sensible, grown-up car of the Type R family, the Honda Accord Type R is the most unusual thing - a Japanese car that was never sold in Japan. Designed and built in the UK by Honda at Swindon, the Accord Type R used the European market Accord chassis and a considerably larger 2.2 litre engine than its more buzzy and frantic Civic and Integra siblings to produce a performance sedan still sought after today.

The Accord Type R also had a dose of F1 heritage. While Ayrton Senna was busy being responsible for how the NSX handled, Williams-Honda world champion Damon Hill had a finger in the ATR's behaviour. "It's quite good", he was heard to enthuse once - and he kept his personal Type R for over a decade."​
accord_type_r_153.jpg

atr-cleehill3-1-jpg.264012

Honda_AccordTypeR_09-L.jpg

5964212a04ed3b1772dc7a47df817881.jpg

honda-accord-type-r-05.jpg

monatr11.jpg

Even while being the grown-up of the Type R family, the Accord was still a great sports saloon. Couple that with its prestigious Touring Car Racing career and you have a great recipe. Take the spoiler off and you have even better sleeper-esque looks.

Dodges the image issues that might hit a Civic by being an Accord, while still clearly being sporty and yet strangely classy. A low cool, but only just.

The Type-R for the thinking man, except this is the most forgettable Type-R despite touring car pedigree.

Meh.

I have a real soft spot for these, my boss in London had one when they came out that I coveted due to it's twin pipes and huge rear spoiler. But it's only ever going to be a cool from me and not an SZ.

Obscure sports version of a dull saloon. Too obscure to look cool with Type R badges.* And then there's the big
spoiler
which doesn't help it at all.

Uncool.

*Looks self made instead of factory effort.

Last edited:
An otherwise boring Honda that I actually care about. Big points for being virtually unassociated with the typical Type R crowd and has aged a lot better than, say, the Mazdaspeed 6.

Very likeable, but it dips down into uncool. The humdrum basis for this version is something I struggle to overlook.

This Accord is my auntie's car for a long long time.

But it's not with us anymore. I remember how we didn't really had a feel for it's performance until i was in it.

In my book, competent driver's FF cars generally qualify for a Cool once they've aged, even if this one isn't as mature as it could be without that wing.

My local curry house had one as a delivery vehicle for a while.

Good, but not very cool, the spoiler just doesn't work, and I think it will make normal non car people think you're a berk.

Although I like sleepers this is just an Accord with a body-kit and a spoiler. Very good and awsome, but ultimately uncool

As neat as the backstory is, it's still a Honda Accord with a wing and a red letter "R" on it.

Uncool.

I love these (and very nearly had one) but the majority of them are owned by boys or women who treat the like a regular Accord and that to me makes it uncool.

Sensible, mature member of a performance family that is neither of those things. It's an oxymoron. It almost seems apologetic: "I'm not like those other Type-R's, honest!"

Yet I've always liked them. Not sure if it's actually properly Cool to anybody that isn't a car enthusiast, though.

The image of these has been destroyed. Anything of that year range I automatically write off.

Uncool.

Back