Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1998-2007 Smart City Coupé / Fortwo nominated by @FerrariF1GT

carpixel.net-1998-smart-city-34324-wide.jpg

Body Style:
3-door hatchback
Engine: 0.6L turbocharged I3, 0.7L turbocharged I3, 0.8L turbocharged diesel I3
Power: 45 hp, 51 hp, 61 hp (0.6L), 50 hp, 61 hp, 75 hp (0.7L) 41 hp (0.8L diesel)
Torque: 51 ft-lb, 59 ft-lb, 65 ft-lb (0.6L), 59 ft-lb, 70 ft-lb, 81 ft-lb (0.7L), 74 ft-lb (0.8L diesel)
Weight: 730 kg
Transmission: 6-speed semi-automatic
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
Daimler AG introduced the new marque Smart, stylized as "smart," in 1998. The new marque was aimed at younger audiences. Its small size made it possible for two fortwos to occupy one parking space, although it is illegal in many locations to do that. In 2004, the City-Coupe was renamed to Fortwo.​

Smart_Fortwo_passion_front.JPG
Yellow_Smart_Fortwo_side.JPG
Smart_Fortwo_passion_rear.JPG
SMARTFortwoCoupe-569_2.jpg
vand-set-airbag-smart-cabrio-city-coupe--2ktuHd.jpg

I don't get the hatred behind these. It's tiny, but I think it would be fun to drive. Although FWD is preferable for cars such as these, the RR configuration gives me Beetle and 911 vibes. I agree that some modifications can make it look dubious, however. It's cool for me.

I honestly can't find anything cool about the Fortwo.

Yes, it would be incredibly useful in say, a European city but it's ugly and especially with bigger wheels, looks disproportionate.

Seriously Uncool.

You wouldn't be smart in buying one of these over a Mini. Would probably work better as a Japan-only Kei car.

SU.

Cool when it came out. I'll give it that.

Up there with the Audi TT and Austin Mini; cool cars I absolutely do not like.

Living 100m from a garage that only specializes in it, and having a few friends with one, i absolutely despise this car. Even worse when riced. Yes, it can be, and is riced by some young adults.

Anyway, the only good thing about this car is the fuel economy, since its good for the envoiroment. You can't really go shopping with one of these. forget taking your friends to your local cheap-o food place, since you can only take 1, and the sense of security while crossing a big bridge when wind blows, it isn't great.

Apart from the fuel economy, and parking advantage, i think this car isn't that great. its awfull.

I doubt the safety of driving one on anything but a city road. On the other hand, if you need something to get you to the sports game in the congested city, this is the man for the job.

Uncool

My uncle has one of these, and it's amazing for the city (he lives in Philadelphia) but really impractical otherwise, unless your only concern is fuel economy/commuting.

Actually wasn't a bad car, but whether or not it is bad isn't the question; what determines whether this is cool or not simply depends on geographical location. Big city = fine, country = not fine.

Nah, they're too slow to actually be fun to drive.
From what I've heard the ridiculously short wheelbase and light weight makes for a rather fun car around the city, but the terrible gearbox spoils it.

Great idea when it came out, unfortunately I hired one for a week and that was enough to put me off for life. Not only does it look like a Little Tikes car it also shares it's build quality with one too (well, the one I drove did anyway). Only estate agents need these in their lives, and that's only so they can get more in their car parks. Uncool.

Tougher call than I expected. These did have that whiff of New-Millennium gimmickry about them but I did at one point like them quite a lot. Cool when new? Maybe, just.

Then it comes straight back down to uncool whenever I consider some of the points @axletramp mentioned. In the present they're kinda dated and a still a tad too dorky.

A great idea ruined by an awfully unreliable petrol engine* and an even worse gearbox.

*Molten valves at 120k kilometers.

It's certainly more funky looking than most cars I see these days. I remember having a toy version of an earlier model when I was kid and liking it. I'm just neutral about the car, so meh it goes.

A chiropractor's default suggestion to his clients to ensure long-term treatment.

Uncool.

From a North Dakota practicality standpoint, these are a complete joke. Stuck in the snow every 6 inches and can't see over the snowbank when you can finally get moving.

The rest of the year you'll be run over by Raptors.

The guy I got my GTO from has a yellow one sitting broken, has a busted transmission he says. He has the idea to make it into a Polaris Razor of sorts eventually. He has a little Suzuki kei pickup too.

The fact the car requires premium fuel negates the edge in economy over the average small economy car. I don't really hate them, but they are anything but cool.

I remember when I was a kid thinking how cool it was...

Over a decade later and I realized how wrong was i. I'm sorry but where I live, you would look ridiculous driving one of these. Perhaps in europe you would look fine...Maybe.

Back