GTP Cool Wall: 1999-2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 103 comments

1999-2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1999-2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) nominated by @JASON_ROCKS1998

800px-Nissan_Skyline_R34_GT-R_Nür_001.jpg

Body Style:
2-door coupe
Engine: "RB26DETT" 2.6L Twin Turbo I6
Power: 330 hp (500 hp in NISMO Z-Tune)
Torque: 300 ft-lbs
Weight: 1540 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, four wheel drive
Additional Information:
The R34 was the fifth generation Skyline, and the final Skyline GT-R, and was released in 1999 with production ending in 2002. The car was powered by the same RB26 Twin Turbo Inline 6 as the R32 & R33 but with power uprated to 330HP (Although Nissan advertised the car as producing 276HP, as did all Japanese manufacturers). Like the R33, V-Spec models came with the "ATTESA E-TS Pro" AWD system and an Active LSD at the rear, with base models using the standard "ATTESA E-TS" system. A new feature in the R34 was a digital 5.8" LCD display on the dashboard, showing readings of engine and vehicle statistics such as turbo boost pressure, oil & water temperature and others, with the V-Spec also having intake and exhaust gas temperatures. NISMO MFD's could be purchased as an optioned that included a lap timer, G-Force meter and increased boost pressure (2 Bar from 1.2 Bar). The "V-Spec II" was released in 2000 which featured stiffer suspension, larger rear brakes, carbon fibre hood (with NACA duct) and an iridium centre console. In 2002 Nissan released the final R34 GT-R, the V-Spec II Nür (Nürburgring) and was developed at the Nürburgring and 1000 were made and came with larger turbo's (allowing the boost to be safely increased to produce 450HP) and a speedometer reading up to 200MPH. To finish the GT-R's production NISMO (Nissan's in-house tuning company) created the Z-Tune. They were built in 2003 and featured a tuned RB26 2.8L "Z1" producing 500HP, and other enhancements to create the ultimate GT-R. All Z-Tune's were used R34 GT-R's with under 18,000 miles on the clock. The Z-Tune is regarded as the most expensive street legal GT-R ever built, costing as much as $290,000. 12,000 GT-R's were built over the 3 year production period, of them 4,000 were base models, 1,300 V-Spec's, 80 UK V-Spec's, 5,500 V-Spec II's, 1,000 V-Spec II Nur's, 230 M-Spec's and 20 NISMO Z-Tune's. In 2001 Nissan announced they would seperate GT-R from the Skyline's name, with the brand new Nissan GT-R being released in 2007.
Poll doesn't include the homologation N1 version which had already been voted on.​

2002-nissan-skyline-gt-r-r34-01.jpg

Nissan_Skyline_R34_GT-R_N%C3%BCr_002.jpg

l-r34-nissan-skyline-gt-r-rear.jpg

nissan-skyline-gt-r-34-nismo-z_1.jpg

2005-nissan-gt-r-nismo-z-tune-r34-2.jpg

RKR34GTRVSPEC020.jpg

This is a really nice car that I'd like to have. So do F&F fanboys who would also love to put tacky body kits, wings, and neon on it. Not my favorite GT-R though.

Uncool.

Short Answer: Tons of awesome trims of this car you can pick from in Gran Turismo. Sub-zero.

Long Answer: What do this, E30, Veyron, bacon, Star Wars, Deadpool, Minions, Minecraft, Undertale, Doge, Snoop Dogg, Bieber, the Kardashians, and basically every Internet meme ever have in common? They are all massively overrated by the *stereotypical* Internet community way too much, which is beyond seriously uncool.

SU.

Last edited:
PlayStation generation. The absolute trough and nadir of uncool car geeks fawning over a "computer on wheels".

V Spec
V Spec II
V Spec Nür
etc.
etc.
etc.

Seriously Uncool

I love these and don't care that they're so popular in the media if anything it makes people get more involved in cars.

SZ

Last edited:
Uncool, borderline seriously so. Hasn't aged very well IMO, and just can't escape its tarnished reputation.

Cool, almost sub-zero. Don't really care about its perception. It's attractive and a great sports car. The only thing that brings it down for me is its weight, like, why is it that heavy?

Hmmm, I like the styling of these things; they look a bit muscular to me, like a japanese muscle car. I love how quick they were while having a lot more character than the R35 GT-R. I also kinda like the sound the GT-Rs make.

Though, to own one in the US; you have to pay a lot of money on not only import costs of shipping and junk, but I would have to pay money for every single thing needed to make this blasted thing street legal. On top of that; this gotten known in the US because of Fast & Furious and Gran Turismo. The GT-R nameplate has some of the most annoying fanboys I've seen on the internet.

Yeah, I love these things, but I have to vote uncool on it.

To me it's on the same level as NSX. Extremly underrated because of Rice and Riceous. At least it's better than 200th facelift of GT-R

Cool, almost sub-zero. Don't really care about its perception. It's attractive and a great sports car. The only thing that brings it down for me is its weight, like, why is it that heavy?
Not really heavy, but still goes pretty fast.

Dammit. I hit cool. I meant uncool. Damn percocet and beer combo. Somebody change my vote please! I'm not a fan. Far to over rated.

Uncool bordering seriously so. Blame the fanboys. Blame the F&F crowd. Blame Gran Turismo. That rear wing always looked stupidly undersized and after market too. The least attractive GT-R. In a world of 350hp hatchbacks, there's little stand ou about this thes days.

As said earlier: Best GT-R, the last Skyline. Seriously Uncool. But this makes me sad.

The early GT-R's are infinitely cooler.

If it weren't for the FNF Fanboy's, i would have voted better. I was going to vote Uncool due to what i said above but i can't help but to like this car.

Cool.

Back