• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1999-2003 BMW M5 nominated by Crash

E39M5_side_grey1.jpg

Stats:
Production: 1999-2003
Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: 302 ci/4,941 cc S62/S63B50 naturally aspirated DOHC V8 (rated 394 HP & 369 lb-ft)
Transmission: Getrag Type D 6-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, rear-drive​

My take? Actually pretty cool, but loses points for being (probably) one of the first cars to have drive-by-wire.​

Only worthy of cool as the E34 was the last hand-built one with a proper inline 6 motor.

A regular cool.

Certainly the most understated M-car (a good thing) and the E39 5-Series is one of the most handsome BMWs of all time too. Then there's the sound, performance and the way it doesn't make you look like you're trying too hard.

Kept from sub zero because the average Joe might mistake it for a fades-into-the-background 518i with some tarty wheels, and because it currently sits at the bottom of the M5 market on the classic to modern scale - the next few years will decide whether it gets bought up by oafs who make best use of the low prices and drive them into the ground, or enthusiasts who buy it for what it is.
but loses points for being (probably) one of the first cars to have drive-by-wire.
We've been over this. You see drive-by-wire throttles as some kind of bad thing based solely on the two crap drive-by-wire crossovers (out of about four cars you've ever driven in your life) and a bunch of misinformation from other sources.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:
After this generation BMW M-Cars lost their Q car status, however, this one still just about has it.

Cool.

I'm torn, I'm not as keen on the E39's looks as others seem to be. And if I was offered the keys to any generation of M5 for my own, this would be third at best, probably 4th. (E28 first, E60 second, then either an F10 or E39)

Having said that, I was quite into it when it was new, and it was actually the first M car I ever sat in.

... and this helped ...

Tough, I want to go SZ for my loyalty to BMW, I just don't think the E39 quite does it.

Last edited:
I love this car. Not my fave M5 by far but I still love it. It's not cool though in my opinion.

'Meh'

When it came out, fifty grand of seriously uncool. Now, just about cool as other German marques (looking at you, Audi) and newer cars have stolen the poseur crowd away from it - and it's not cool because of the Q-car status (sleepers are rarely cool), but because the 5 series as a whole is a good looking saloon car.

Understated to the point of looking very bland, which is a bad thing. I have never liked this design style of BMW.

It's cool, but just barely. If I saw one on the street, I'd probably eye the M badge as I walked by but otherwise ignore it...it's not a very interesting car. The only thing keeping it from getting a 'Meh' is...I'm not really sure.

Never liked how they looked but one time I was on the highway and saw one gun it on the highway. Thought that was cool.

Cool.

Back