United States
New York
Jahgee1124
1999-2005 Lexus IS nominated by @SVT Cobra GT
1920px-1999-2005_Lexus_IS_200_%28GXE10R%29_sedan_04.jpg

Engines:
2.0L I6 (1G-FE), 3.0L I6 (2JZ-GE)
Power: IS200: 153 hp; IS300: 217 hp
Torque: IS200: 144 lb-ft.; IS300: 218 lb-ft.
Weight: IS200: 1360 kg; IS300 5-speed: 1476 kg; IS300 E-Shift: 1490 kg; IS300 SportCross: 1550 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual, 4-speed automatic, 5-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan, 5-door wagon​
1999-2005_Lexus_IS_200_(GXE10R)_sedan_01.jpg

Lexus_IS_300_Millennium_Silver_Metallic.jpg

1999-2005_Lexus_IS_200_(GXE10R)_sedan_03.jpg

1999-2005_Lexus_IS_200_(GXE10R)_sedan_05.jpg

Lexus_IS_300_first_gen_interior.jpg

lexus_is_300_sportcross.jpg

2004-Lexus-IS300-Sportback.jpg

2001-Lexus-IS300-Sportcross.jpg

is300.jpg

Rather like these things, but for the most part, they're just a bit 'eh'. Meh.

I basically learned how to drive in one of these, and I absolutely loved it. And I generally don't care for luxury cars. Was fun as hell to drive on backroads yet comfortable to drive everywhere else.

Solid cool

It may have sparked the annoying trend of people putting Lexus-style taillights on their Golfs and pretend they look cool, but the car itself is still cool in my book. Here's why:

• Wagon variant;
  • Great naturally aspirated engines;
  • FR drivetrain;
  • And the ties to one of Toyota's greatest hits: the head of the project was co0ordinated by the man responsible for the AE86 project.
I'd say those are good enough to justifiy my choice

Nu-uh, nope. Why pick this over a 3 series? To go less distance, slower, and have less fun... just because you'll get slightly better service and are less likely to break down?

Yeah, cool reason bro.

Seriously uncool.

It's a meh from me though they aren't bad cars and the styling is OK. I actually like the tail lights too, in their original context.

Uncool, chrome rear lights nuff said, took the automotive industry nearly a decade to recover from that crap.

I just hate the styling of this car. It completely ruins it. It has an I6, Manual transmission option, Rear-wheel drive and it can have more than 200hp. By all means, I should like it enough to vote cool.

But the styling...

Those taillights... They came from a riced Civic.

The wheels... Lexus must have been feeling extremely uncreative when they come up with them.

I can't even tell what the grille bars are, are they scalloped or something?

Seriously Uncool.

Uncool because it kicked off the trend of "Altezza" taillights.

A trend that still goes on, in some corners of the world. This is a brand new Honda, one I just drove last month...

honda_brio_review_03.jpg

Those taillights... They came from a riced Civic.

Wrong way around. There's a reason they're called "Altezza lights" by the FnF crowd.

-

Still... Seriously Uncool. I hear they're great cars, but I'd never be able to get over the arse.

Odd how what can be described as the vanilla alternative to the 00s German compact exec models can unintentionally contribute to the chintz seen on modified car backsides, as well as a number of contemporary models nowadays.

These come so close to being Seriously Uncool that the SportCross only barely manages to knock the "Seriously" off. Uncool.

A trend that still goes on, in some corners of the world. This is a brand new Honda, one I just drove last month...

honda_brio_review_03.jpg

Yes... but not here. Here they remind people of riced Civics, which are seriously uncool. In fact I'll go ahead and say ANY aftermarket taillights are uncool, not including add-on lenses and frames. Stock taillights always look best unless it's a Lexus IS.

Yes... but not here. Here they remind people of riced Civics, which are seriously uncool. In fact I'll go ahead and say ANY aftermarket taillights are uncool, not including add-on lenses and frames. Stock taillights always look best unless it's a Lexus IS.

Same thing here, too.

Oddly, non-car people, in the week I had the car, gave me the thumbs up whenever I drove by. Toll tellers actually perked up when I drove through. Now, I've driven Lexii... Mercs, Bimmers... various sports cars... and I've NEVER had a toll teller compliment me on a car before.

But car guys? First response I read when I posted the article up... yup... "Altezza lights... Yuck." :lol:

Last edited:
I ran one of these as a pool car for 6 months.

Interior was OK, it was reliable, it's RWD, so it drove quite nicely too.

BUT... it was completely gutless.

Meh at best.

Very cool. The only cool Lexus, perhaps because it's not actually a Lexus.

Modest styling, RWD, balanced chassis, adequate power. Along with the 3-series, the prototypical sports sedan.

Back