GTP Cool Wall: 1999-2005 Mazda MX-5 (NB)

1999-2005 Mazda MX-5 (NB)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
1999-2005 Mazda MX-5 (NB) nominated by @ildd
99red.jpg

Engines:
1.8L I4 (Mazda BP-5A/BP-4W/BP-Z3), 1.8L Turbo I4 (Mazda BPT), 1.6L I4 (Mazda B6-ZE)
Power: B6-ZE: 110 hp; BP-5A, etc.: 142 hp; BPT: 180 hp
Torque: B6-ZE: 99 lb-ft.; BP-5A, etc.: 118 lb-ft.; BPT: 168 lb-ft.
Weight: ~1000-1065 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door convertible
Additional Info: "The LS and SE trim models came standard with an LSD, among other amenities. The 10th Anniversary edition, Mazdaspeed, and SE models came standard with a 6-speed transmission."​
NB-10thAE-SapphireBlue-MX5-001.jpg

2004_mazdaspeed_miata_mx___5_2_lgw.jpg

img_1749-jpg.352817

Miata_passenger_side_angle_shot_in_park.jpg

sp-03.jpg

12-Motorlist-Multi-Mazda-MX5-Shoot-013.jpg

20130307_6382.jpg

The NA is the best looking MX-5, in my opinion, but this is a ridiculously cool car.

Unfortunately to non-car people it looks girly but I don't care. Car people like us appreciate it and it that's what matters. "more fun to drive than your GMC Acadia..."
Cool.

The answer is not always Miata.

Uncool.

Quite, but it's a possible (and plausible) choice.

As for my thoughts, I like to say that the NB is cool or uncool, depending on the owner's tastes. The owner is what makes the car cool or uncool, depending on his tastes and choices. A dumb-modified MX-5 ends up becoming uncool because it has been ruined. A nicely-kept, tasteful MX-5 is a nice, cheap and cheerful sports car aimed for beginners.

And while I mourn the passing of the pop-up headlights from the NA, this one's design is still rather pleasing. I find it more pleasing than the design that succeded it. Because of this, the coupe version (which isn't being polled here, granted, but it counts), and not because I overrate the car, I find it cool. The answer is not always Miata? Yes, but it is a nice answer nontheless.

The answer is not always Miata.

It's like the automotive equivalent of the 'PC Master Race' merry-go-round. To say I don't think it's dented my perception of the Miata name would be wrong, sadly. Though beyond that, I've always seen it as little more than the competent default sports car with a bit of a character deficiency.

I wouldn't be opposed to owning one myself. But they're no cooler than the NA.

Meh Uncool.

In the real world most Miata drivers I see are middle aged men/women or women in their twenties. Combine that with the fanboy-style fans it has online and this car is Uncool.

Cool. RWD sports car convertible that I'll be able to afford.

I was actually looking into these as a first car.

Is numerically better than the NA in every way. As a race car, street car, it's THE Miata to have. People spend thousands converting their NAs to NB spec (myself included). Screw flip up lights. The perfect sports car, but I may be biased. SZ.

They don't always have to look feminine either.
1527018_10202533911856591_2108511288_n.jpg

The only MX-5 offered as a coupe or with a turbo.

Too bad you couldn't get the two options together. Or even in the same country.

-

Not as ridiculously cool as the NA... but still cool. Even better, all the anoraks want an NA. All the FnF kids want something else. And all the rich dudes are selling their NCs to buy NDs. So the only people with NBs are people who really, really, like them.

Cool.

It's a roadster with some LSD.
It takes a little bit of guts to drive, because people will only laugh when you drive it.
It's excellent stock, even better when $5000 has been dumped into it.
It doesn't carry the "legacy" the NA's have, which is kind of a good thing.

I don't think it's SZ, (maybe if it had a more powerful V6...that'd be cool) but it is absolutely cool.

Think we're starting to suffer from GTP Mustang syndrome. Why would the NB be any significantly more or less cool than an NA?

Inb4 pop up headlamps.

Uncool because nerds.

Cool. I don't like the NB as much as the NA, but it's still a nice-looking, compact roadster that pretty much anyone can afford. And for every irritating scene berk there are hundreds of owners who simply appreciate it for what it is.
It's like the automotive equivalent of the 'PC Master Race' merry-go-round.
Is anyone actually saying it anything other than ironically though? I mean, apart from Jalopnik writers?

It could be the finest drive on the face of the earth, but you'd still look like a hairdresser. Seriously Uncool.

DAE le NB must die b/c no popups???

miata is always the answer, however only the NA is because le glorious popups:

12-Motorlist-Multi-Mazda-MX5-Shoot-016.jpg

so_good.png

i heard that after buying the inferior NB, @ildd quit his job for cosmetology

if only he would've bought le glorious NA, with its superior lack of amenities and le popup headlights

I voted cool.

Back