GTP Cool Wall: 1999-2007 Toyota MR2 (ZZW30)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 13 comments

1999-2007 Toyota MR2 (ZZW30)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
1999-2007 Toyota MR2 (ZZW30) nominated by @ToyGTone

toyota-mr2roadster-zzw30-2000_22.jpg

Body Style: 2-door convertible
Engine: 1.8L 1ZZ-FED I4
Power: 140 hp
Torque: 126 ft·lbs
Weight: 1050 kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive​

Toyota_MR2_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

Third_Gen_Toyota_MR2.jpg
2003_Toyota_MR_2_(14803357589).jpg
TOYOTAMR2-1682_8.jpg

SZ because MR2...
+
SU because this...
15782776_large.jpg

And other awful "replicas".
+
Low Cool because it's the least liked MR2 ever...
So Cool.

I gave it an SZ.

First time I saw one was on the Cross Bronx Expressway. I was in my Jetta GLI 16V and this white convertible comes zipping up next to me. White with red seats, with a young Asian lady at the wheel.

She looks around the car ahead of her, drops a gear, tosses lanes and speeds away. That always stuck with me. A baby Japanese Ferrari. I still want one.

I'd say this car is cooler than any MX-5 generation, NA excluded. Mid-engine configuration only helps the MR2's case.

One of the purest interpretations of a sports car outside of Hethel in the past 20 years. Real shame about its looks though.

Last edited:
It has a stupid face and looks ridiculously cab-forward from just about any angle. Roof up it looks like a toy, roof down it looks like a bad drawing of a toy. Impossibly effete vehicle.

A pure, simple, lightweight, Mid-Engine'd sports car, and the last MR2 to be made (so far). It's also probably the most forgotten (and underappreciated maybe?) iteration of the MR2, but no less great at what it does.

Visually, it's looks may be more divisive than it's older W20 or W10 siblings, it still isn't ugly IMO. And whilst I prefer the previous gen W20, this version of the MR2 is still a comfortable cool.

Don't a few GTPers have these?

To quote a Top Gear rule: "If one of us have it, it's super uncool."

So...SU. And it's not that great looking from the side or back to boot.

Back