GTP Cool Wall: 2000-2002 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (GD)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 68 comments

2000-2002 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (GD)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2000-2002 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (GD) nominated by @JASON_ROCKS1998

1-81-1.jpg

Body Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: Subaru "EJ207" 2.0L Boxer Flat 4
Power: 260-280 hp
Torque: 275 ft-lbs
Weight: 1430 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, all wheel drive
Additional Information:
In December 2000, Subaru updated the WRX to the second generation. The GDA WRX model also retained the 5-speed manual transmission gearbox design from the GC8. Subaru later released a new 6-speed gearbox for the STi model GDB that is significantly stronger.

The GD chassis along with the WRX and STI underwent two styling changes in its life cycle. The original styling applied to A and B. Initially this design proved to be rather unpopular which prompted a more conventional design for the applied C, D and E models. The second facelift applied to the F and G versions.

The WRX STi gained 17" alloy wheels over the previous 16" wheels. The 5 speed manual transmission (reputed to be one of the car's weakpoints) was changed to an STi engineered 6 speed manual. The engine was retained from the Version 6 STi and still retains the semi-closed deck block and is still labeled as the EJ207, however the engines did gain Variable Valve Timing (AVCS) further improving their low end torque production.

The interior was updated with a STi logo on the gauge. The STi's tachometer also has a red shift light. The STi's and optioned Type RA STi have received Brembo 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes while the bare-bones Type RA STi still carried the Subaru 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes. Externally, the STis had larger hood scoops and had foglight covers with STi embossed on them.

The version nomenclature was dropped from the name. Japanese and other auto-enthusiasts often refer to the chassis as GDB/GDF (the STi has a 'B' or 'F' (for USDM models) whereas the regular WRX had an 'A'). The fourth character of the VIN gives the revision (A to F where G is the 2007 version).

In 2000, most of Asia, Oceania and Europe received the new STi. The engine was detuned to meet emission standards. Engine output was variously rated from 260 HP to 280 HP depending on market.​

SUBARUImprezaWRXSTi-3687_1.jpg
SUBARUImprezaWRXSTi-3687_4.jpg
2001-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-front-three-quarters-2.jpg
latest
SUBARUImprezaWRXSTi-3687_6.jpg
SUBARUImprezaWRXSTi-3687_7.jpg

These tend to be a rarity where I live. All the dudebros who drive Imprezas in my town have either the glob-eyed ones or newer, or they have the original generation of them. (Usually in the case of the latter, they're beat to hell.) This won't be as cool as the original generation of Imprezas, but it's still admirable regardless.

Cool.

It's an Impreza.

If it's unmodified or tastefully modified, it is a cool car.

If it's like a majority of Imprezas on the road that are so low they scrape across the ground and have paint cans for exhausts, they are seriously uncool.

Meh this Impreza was cool for what it did, and solidified and set the bench mark for affordable performance cars. Which until recently wasn't really in threat of being unseated. I say that because even the Evo struggled and in the end died, so before the Mitsu fans come in, yeah.

I will say that it's uncool for being the one body style that I can think of other than the pre-face life 3rd gen, that aged horribly. If it was the 2004 first face lift or the better second circa 2007 I think, then I'd have given it a cool. This version of the second gen is ugly though.

This all rounds out too meh for me.

Solid cool. The few I see around here are either stock or tastefully modified, the kids who ruin cars generally don't go after bugeyes.

Cool. I remember a doctor at my ex's job, bought all JDM gear for his daily driver. Even had roof vent, rally BBS w/skinny tyres and raised ride height in winter. Cleanest WRX I've ever seen in The Bronx.

Low cool, only because it's an overseas model so it escapes the grasp of vaping dudebros, energy drink stickers, and Rota wheels.

Cars like Ferrari's become cool with age. Cars like the Impreza don't.

Great to drive, but most often seen with a massive exhaust, being driven by a knuckle dragging chav.

Seriously uncool.

Cool. Bugeye isn't my favorite of the GD generation, but I still like it. They could be SZ, but Subarus these days have a bro reputation (as many of you already pointed out) and many of the cars have been modified. But the fact that they are (very loosely) based on legendary rally cars, I still voted cool.

Not all Impreza owners were bros, here is my friend's current bugeye and my old STI.
7126251635_4c4ef530e6_b.jpg

See look how much nicer the first face lift is for that gen compared to the pre. It's like a different car, and had it be the first face lift I'd have given it a cool instead of meh.

Not as as cool/good as the previous GC generation of Impreza it replaced IMO, which is my most favoured generation Impreza.

Will agree that the first face-lift of the GD spec Impreza was/is arguably the best all round best looking Impreza from that generation, but ultimately not as good as the original MK1 Impreza.

Either way, its very much a solid cool from me.

Back then I would agree the blobeye seemed more "normal" than the bugeye (and the hawkeye), but now the bugeye and hawkeye are both more attractive to me.

Taken as a whole, the GD/GG's design is in another league compared to the third-gen Impreza in any of its forms. A spoilerless GD is very very nice, and I'm jealous of a guy in my village who has a hawkeye GG in my favorite color.

Seeing them side-by-side like that, I think I now like the bugeye more. Sure, the blobeye was less divisive, but it looks a tad bit boring now. The older car has more character, and it might just be the image, but the hood looks a little lower to me. The nose is less bluff.

My initial instinct was to go with Uncool. Subarus do tend to attract a certain type of person — not exclusively, but no car with a bad reputation does. I'm feeling generous here though, and I think it's now old enough (and different enough from other cars at the time, like the deathly dull-looking Evo VII) to just sneak into Cool.

Taken as a whole, the GD/GG's design is in another league compared to the third-gen Impreza in any of its forms.

I'd agree with that

The 2nd gen Impreza as a whole is much better looking that the 3rd gen that replaced it, which is quite dull and not as attractive I think.

With regards to the 2nd gens many faces, I remember thinking the pre-facelift "bugeye" was quite ugly, but over time I've come to appreciate in more, while the 1st face-lifted "blobeye" is still the most appealing IMO.

As far as the whole image and who typically drives them thing, that's never really influenced my decision, with any car in fact. It's relatable to the image problems the Saxo VTR/VTS had been plagued with, due to the stereotype of the chav's you'd see driving it/ruining it. But that never influenced my stance on the car as a whole. It's the same with the GC Impreza, only it's not as good as its predecessor.

Seeing them side-by-side like that, I think I now like the bugeye more. Sure, the blobeye was less divisive, but it looks a tad bit boring now. The older car has more character
My exact sentiments upon seeing the photo in question.

I still think it is uncool though.

That time when Subaru succeeded at the impossible...... making me hate the Impreza. God that bugeye design was a bad idea.

Oh yes, the Bugeye. I totally don't hate it, and frankly, I wouldn't call it a seriously uncool car. It has all the performance you would typically find in an Impreza WRX STi. Cool.

One of my favourite AutoArts is my bugeye wagon STI, so I have a soft spot for them.

Unfortunately, the image is appalling. Uncool.

Uncool. Driven by people who use the word "bro" liberally and wear flat brimmed hats.

Latest Posts

Back