• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2001-2006 BMW M3 nominated by Doog

4389963147_e7952d1b38_o.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2001-2006
Style: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: S54 198 ci/3,246 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 6 (rated 333 HP & 262 lb-ft in U.S. form, 338 HP & 269 lb-ft in normal European form, and 355 HP & 273 lb-ft in CSL form), P60B40 244 ci/3,997 cc naturally aspirated DOHC? V8 (rated 350+ HP & ??? lb-ft)
Transmission: 6-speed manual, 6-speed sequential
Layout: Front-engine, Rear-drive
Related: BMW X3, other E46 BMW 3-series models​

Last edited:
One of the other "most cool" ///M cars. However it's not as cool as the E39 M5 because it's a little more showoff.

It's a very high Cool rather than a low Sub-Zero.

I. Love. This. Car.

After my experience driving one of these, I've lusted after one.

And the sound... Oh god the sound!

Sub-Zero!!1!

Uncool. Great car (and one I'd even consider owning) but until it slides into bona-fide classic territory it's stuck lurking between anonymous and douchebaggy.

I.e, Average Joe on the street won't immediately notice it from a regular E46 coupe with an M kit, so there's no public "wow" or even "hmm, nice" factor. And while it's a good car-enthusiast car, it's also at that unfortunate stage in its life where it's affordable enough for any old berk to drive. That, and the fact that you'll eventually meet a dyed-in-the-wool BMW enthusiast who'll explain till he's blue in the face how amazing the car is even though everyone already knows it's great, just to tediously illustrate how much he knows about BMWs.

There's just something about the way this car looks that really appeals to me...in the right colour its one of the best looking cars made in the past 30-40 years IMO.
At the same time it doesn't stand out too much, people notice right away its not an ordinary family car but its not by any means embarrassingly flashy like the more recent M3s with huge wings and bright orange paintwork.

Add to that the performance and the fabulous soundtrack...easily Sub-Zero.

You know what else influences my vote for this car?

NFS_Most_Wanted_BMW_M3_GTR.jpg

The first time played through NFS Most Wanted and beat Razor, I was so glad I got it. Shame it was wrecked in the beginning of NFS Carbon.

BMW lovers are insufferable.

Well, thats not a very nice thing to say.

It more looks like the car of a yob than someone who wants a fast executive car. If it were a GT-R, it would be cool but unfortunately I think it is uncool.

I own an E46 320d, and i don't hate it at all. It's been 10 years since my dad got it, and it's still going strong. Also: official M body kit. It's in the shop for some body repair (and repainting), so no picture :P

Either way, this thing gets a cool; sub zero if it's the Most Wanted Protagonist's, despite me not really liking it for being too popular among the masses (see: my E30 M3 statement).

That, and the fact that you'll eventually meet a dyed-in-the-wool BMW enthusiast who'll explain till he's blue in the face how amazing the car is even though everyone already knows it's great, just to tediously illustrate how much he knows about BMWs.

You called...

:lol:

Yeah but seriously, great car, but the douche factor is currently off the scale. Seems the must have accessory for E46 M3's these days is a loud exhaust and Nurburging sticker, not sure how either helps for trying to drive at 60mph in 20mph zone town-centres which seems to be a common past time for E46 Coupe owners in general.

It's a great car and was hailed as a return to BMW's best (ie. the E30 M3) when it came out after the slight disappointment of the E36 M3... The CSL is an easy sub zero, the GTR is a unicorn - but subzero none the less. The regular M3.. I can't bring myself to vote at this stage.

At the same time it doesn't stand out too much, people notice right away its not an ordinary family car but its not by any means embarrassingly flashy like the more recent M3s with huge wings and bright orange paintwork.

It has big flared wheel arches, quad exhausts, a bonnet bulge, more aggressive front bumper and fender vents... which is the same exterior modification as the E92 M3 did and the F82 M4 - the only discreet M3 ever was the E36, I don't see how this is so different to later M3's. The 'huge' (FIA WTCC spec) winged orange version was the very limited homologation required GTS, and if you see many (or Any!) of those around then you are lucky!

I saw E46 M3 built up to NFS look-a-like specs, down to side-exiting exhausts couple nights ago here in Riverside. While it was cheesy, I was impressed as the hood alone probably cost a lot. Sub Zero, just because of CSL.

It's a great looking car, with great performance and with the epic NFS:MW connotation that has been mentioned above.

Yet, considering the BMW owners I've known, the best I can say of the M3 is that it's "Uncool".

Cars are often described as being tools - with more focussed cars being purpose-built tools for a single job.

Of the E46 M3 I will say only this. Fabulous tool.

LOLWUT?! Find one source that says this is where BMW reached their lowest point?
Someone clearly doesn't know the meaning of that phrase they are flipping out over.

Someone also should probably let their fanboyism die down a bit before continuing to respond in this thread.

Uncool.

Car itself isn't bad, but it attracts D-bags, Euro-car snobs, and Euro ricers that tack on huge wings and cheesy body kits. Trying to mimic the NFS car, etc.

Awful knobs who are fresh out of college drive this car. They usually mod it undesirably, and drive the piss out of it until the subframe breaks or they wrap it around the tree.

Everyone that sees you in this car will believe that you think you have money. Everyone who sees you in this car expects you to wear your hat backwards while getting out the car.Everyone will expect you to wear Ed Hardy shirts and call your girlfriend by the words "Hey b:censored:h!"

It's those curves. It doesn't make you drive it. It doesn't taunt you. But you seem gravitated by it, mesmerized thinking of what you will expect when you do get behind the wheel. When you do finally get behind that wheel, a sudden feeling overcomes you. Your bum is lightly toasted by heated seats, and you feel snuggled inside the cinnamon colored leather interior. When you put your foot down a glorious, heavenly angel sound fills your earholes. The sound of the last NA I6. A sound that is both brutal, and elegant. Anybody who knows a little bit about cars knows the M3. They'll see it parked in parking spot and smile, even though it is probably driven by some college graduate with his Ed Hardy and backwards cap.

Why does it gravitate towards people with little taste? Perhaps because people with little taste want to feel like they have something in their bank account. Perhaps it has something to do with 2005 kids growing up. This car was the star of one of the best Need for Speed games of all time. One of the last great Need for Speed games, and it captivated everyone who played.

This car always seems to be a part of something great. It was a part of one of the best 3-Series' ever, the E46. It brought back feelings only felt during the E30 days, but combined modern luxury. The car was the last of BMW's Boxy era. It was also one of the last pure M3's. It came with Traction/Stability control, power brakes/steering, and ABS. No electrogazit things for the computer generation. It was a pure driving experience. Nobody buys them with SMG anyway, so it didn't exist! :P

So how cool would you look in one of these? To the average Joe? Uncool. To a car enthusiast? Seriously uncool. They'd just expect you to wreck it. But could you really vote this uncool? It has those things about it, the way it looks, drives, sounds. It does not beg for you to drive the piss out of it, but you do it because you enjoy doing it. When you're driving it do you really care what people think? You're in your own bubble of pure enjoyment. That is until you cut off five cars and cause an accident behind you. Who truly cares though, you're driving an M3.

Final verdict? Cool. Almost Sub-Zero and in about ten years it probably will. The knobs will move on to some other car, probably the E92. (BTW yes that last paragraph was satire, please do not think that I condone cutting off traffic in the BMW way)

Latest Posts

Back