Body Style:
4-door sedan
Engine: 3.5L Chrysler EGG V6
Power: 255 hp
Torque: 258 lb-ft
Weight: 1682 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: front engine, front wheel drive
Additional Information: The Chrysler 300M Special, made from 2002 to 2004 isn't an ordinary 300M, it's a limited production, performance edition. It had more horsepower and torque, and it featured dual exhausts, a performance bodykit, performance brakes, sports tires, lower ride height, leather seats, and imitation carbon fiber in the interior.​

2002-chrysler-300m-12.jpg
36056962004_chrysler_300m_special-pic-42245.jpg
32063800004_large.jpg

Last edited:
This is the definition of a true sports sedan. Sporty looks, good amount of power and torque, performance brakes and tires, and carbon fiber are just some of the things that make this car cool. Although it would be better if it was RWD, track performance was still exceptional. I'd like to drive one around a windy road or a racetrack someday, it would be fun.

High cool.

Last edited:
This is the definition of a true sports sedan. Sporty looks, good amount of power and torque, performance brakes and tires, and carbon fiber are just some of the things that make this car cool. Although it would be better if it was RWD, track performance was still exceptional. High cool.

I think 400hp V8 RWD 6MT might have been a better definition of a true sports sedan in the early 2000's.

I think 400hp V8 RWD 6MT might have been a better definition of a true sports sedan in the early 2000's.
Well it was 14 years ago. Not even the M5 had this much power. And, it's an American midsize sedan priced at just above $30k, 400 horsepower is a lot to expect for a price that cheap. Not to mention 400 horsepower in an FF car would cause massive understeer. It really doesn't need much more power than 255.

According to Wikipedia this car made 2 hp and 3 lb-ft more than the standard car. Additionally, the 'carbon fibre' trim was fake. It also gained 70 pounds of weight when this trim level was applied, negating any performance gains. Car and Driver found it to be slower than the base version.

This thing deserves to languish in hell for the rest of its life.

This is the definition of a true sports sedan. Sporty looks, good amount of power and torque, performance brakes and tires, and carbon fiber are just some of the things that make this car cool. Although it would be better if it was RWD, track performance was still exceptional. I'd like to drive one around a windy road or a racetrack someday, it would be fun.

High cool.
You must be joking.

Meanwhile, the M5 was producing 400bhp and had RWD.

But the E39 M3 would be closer to a supercar than a sports sedan. An E39 M3 should be called a "high-performance sedan" since it made supercar like power. Sports driving is about having fun driving the car, not about having as much power as possible.

The E39 was in production from 1998 and had 400bhp though?
Close enough, it had 393.

According to Wikipedia this car made 2 hp and 3 lb-ft more than the standard car. Additionally, the 'carbon fibre' trim was fake.

This thing deserves to languish in hell for the rest of its life.

You must be joking.
No, I'm not joking.

But the E39 M3 would be closer to a supercar than a sports sedan. An E39 M3 should be called a "high-performance sedan" since it made supercar like power. Sports driving is about having fun driving the car, not about having as much power as possible.

oh sweet jesus this'll turn out like the aries thread won't it

Close enough, it had 393.

Apples and oranges.

Hell, most 'sports-sedans' produced more power than this. The circa-1999 E55 AMG produced 355bhp. The Audi S6 from the same era produced 335.

Looks like a special trim level than an "actual" sports sedan. Reading that it was hardly any more powerful yet slower than the standard car drops this right down to Seriously Uncool.

I can see where this is going. As with before, you're blinded by your love for Mopar products and you're giving this car superpowers that even Chrysler's marketing division would dismiss as far fetched.
If this had a Ford, BMW, Chevy, or any other non-mopar logo on it, I'd still call it a sports sedan. Because it is one.

oh sweet jesus this'll turn out like the aries thread won't it
It better not turn out that way, and I will do everything I can to stop it from becoming like that. Apparently calling the 300M special a cool car is "incorrect".

Apples and oranges.

Hell, most 'sports-sedans' produced more power than this. The circa-1999 E55 AMG produced 355bhp. The Audi S6 from the same era produced 335.

I think you are confusing "sports car" with "performance car". Sports cars are all about fun driving, and they don't need super high power outputs. The Mazda MX5 makes 167 horsepower, and that is enough for it. No one ever complains that it needs more.

Performance cars, on the other hand, are more about heavy power outputs, and high speed driving. E39 M3's and Merc E55 AMG's are examples of these, while 300M Specials, E39 540i's, Taurus Sho's, and Impala SS's (1996) are sports sedans.

Sports sedans of the early 2000's usually had more than 200 horsepower but not more than 300, while performance sedans had as much as 400.

2002-2004_Chrysler_300M_--_05-23-2012.JPG

chrysler_300m_2002_images_1.jpg

Look nearly the same in the eyes of someone who isn't a car nerd.

Uncool.

Blanket term. A lot of cars fit under this.

Does anyone really refer to a car as a 'performance car' though?
You're right, but a lot of cars are mis-categorized as sports cars. I've heard someone say a Ferrari F430 is a sports car, and it clearly is not.

You're right, but a lot of cars are mis-categorized as sports cars. I've heard someone say a Ferrari F430 is a sports car, and it clearly is not.

This topic makes my skin crawl but.

Surely every sporting car designed with spirited driving or exceptional performance in mind is a subset of 'sports car'. Everything from a Veyron to an M5 to an AE86. You just tag them with even more terminology to describe their own unique features and values.

This topic makes my skin crawl but.

Surely every sporting car designed with spirited driving or exceptional performance in mind is a subset of 'sports car'. Everything from a Veyron to an M5 to an AE86. You just tag them with even more terminology to describe their own unique features and values.
But a Veyron can never be classed as a sports car, because it has 987 horsepower, and can't turn. Sports cars are meant for being driven on curvy roads and racetracks, not straight lines like the Veyron.

The Chrysler 300M Special, made from 2002 to 2004 isn't an ordinary 300M, it's a limited production, performance edition. It had more horsepower and torque, and it featured dual exhausts, a performance bodykit, performance brakes, sports tires, lower ride height, leather seats, and imitation carbon fiber in the interior.
This isn't an ordinary Chrysler product, this is a Chrysler product with a different trim line from other Chrysler products.

Latest Posts

Back