Body Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 3.2L Honda C32B naturally-aspirated V6
Power: 290 hp
Torque: 224 ft-lbs
Weight: 1270 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Mid-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information:
This nomination only includes the 2002-2005 NSX-R and is a separate entity from the base-model NSX that has already been nominated.

The second iteration of the NSX-R was released in 2002 and it was sold exclusively in Japan. As with the original NSX-R, weight reduction was the primary focus for performance enhancement and over 100 kg has been reduced from the car in the process. Carbon fiber was used to a large extent throughout the body components to reduce weight, including a larger, more aggressive rear spoiler, vented hood and deck lid. Additionally, the audio system, sound insulation, air conditioning, and power steering have been removed from the car. Each NSX-R engine was hand assembled by a skilled technician using techniques normally reserved for racing programs. Components of the rotating assembly were precision weighed and matched so that all components fell within a very small tolerance of weight differential. Then, the entire rotating assembly was balanced to a level of accuracy ten times that of a typical NSX engine. This balancing process significantly reduced loss of power due to inertial imbalance, resulting in a more powerful powerplant with excellent throttle response. The result of the NSX-R was a vehicle that could challenge the latest sports cars on the track. For example, Motoharu Kurosawa drove a 2002 NSX-R around the Nurburgring in 7:56, a time equal to a Ferrari F360 Challenge Stradale despite the Ferrari outpowering the NSX by over 100 HP.​

kgb0imch2lpu

15.jpg

2cs6ttu.jpg

2002_Honda_NSXR3.jpg

Honda-NSX-059.jpg

Honda NSX has always been one of my favourite cars of all time and so it was natural to spam the SZ button as fast as possible.
---
Also it's an NSX so of course it's SZ level of coolness.

@SVX I'm by no means questioning your rating, it just seems to me something like this would rank higher for you...but any particular reason for the vote? For the record, I find it perfectly Meh-able as I prefer older examples without the fixed headlights (but I can't imagine going beyond a Cool for those).

Very easy SZ

Absolutely love the NSX, and the NSX R being polled is no different. One of the best super cars of all time in my book (and one of only a few super cars I love for that matter), very capable at putting cars far more powerful to shame, sounded gorgeous, and the R was one of last hurrah models before the this model NSX was ceased.

Whilst I prefer the pre-facelift NSX as a whole, this gen NSX is no less cool.

No pop-ups. A Nürburgring time is quoted. Uncool.

...Yet still near the top of my personal list of cars I'd want to drive, from any era.

A great car it may have been, but it isn't as cool as older models.

Meh.

The headlights are unfortunate. The rest of the facelift doesn't help. If this was what the NSX looked like to begin with, it would be cool because it's the NSX, but the original NSX exists.

A JDM legend that doesn't (seem) to have the same annoying cult following that its rivals, namely the GT-R and Supra, have. Helps that it wasn't driven by a major character in the Fast and Furious series, IIRC.

Only 1 sold in the UK. Cool.

The NSX isn't as legendary as something like the Plymouth Superbird or Ferrari F40 (some may dispute this), but it's one of the best Hondas ever built. You cannot deny that. The NSX-R is probably my favourite variation which delivers performance good enough to beat a Ferrari. That's how you know your car is one of the best. Cool

Cool, for sure. The NSX is one of those cars that any car enthusiast can respect and the R version is the best you can get. Man, I love the interior on these cars.

Ugh, I'm torn.

On the one hand, it isn't a supercar, and isn't a Ferrari and looks and sounds awesome.

On the other hand, this is the fussiest version of the NSX, with properly anal weight saving, there's about 8 of them and the uninitiated might think it's a Ferrari (which is sort of what Honda was going for anyway).

I'll decide later.

*Anal weight saving

Explaining how many grams Honda has saved by using a mesh shift boot rather than a leather one is too nerdy to be cool.

Without that, it's just an NSX with weird headlamps.

Barely cool.

It's an engineer's wet dream... Have you ever met a cool engineer?

What saves it is that it's at the core an NSX, which will always be cool. It's not something like an EVO or WRX that takes a boring car and adds a bunch of stuff to make it special, it is already special. It's one of those shapes that's an instant neck-breaker, you don't even need to know what it is, all the non car people see it's a shiny, sleek supercar (even though the NA1 was even better) that looks pricey. It could be powered by a 3pot diesel made out of Cold War remnants and no one would even care.

Explaining how many grams Honda has saved by using a mesh shift boot rather than a leather one is too nerdy to be cool.

Without that, it's just an NSX with weird headlamps.

Barely cool.
But, but Gordon Murray modeled the F1 after his own NSX(not an R, but still). He also said if he was ever inclined to get another car, he'd get an NSX. How "cool" is that? ;)

Back