Engines:
5.3L V8 (GM LM4), 6.0L V8 (GM LS2)
Power: LM4: 300 hp; LS2: 390-400 hp
Torque: ~400 lb-ft.
Weight: 2132 kg
Transmission: 4-speed automatic, 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door convertible pickup
Additional Info: "Designed after Chevrolet pickups of the 40s-50s, the SSR (Super Sports Roadster) behaved more like a muscle car than a truck. The bed space wasn't much, due to the folding hardtop, and was only able to tow about 2,500 lbs. However, this was balanced out with a 7.7 second 0-60 time, thanks to sharing an engine with the Corvette and the Pontiac GTO. "​
1024px-Chevrolet_SSR.jpg

chevrolet-ssr-c885810032013141755_1.jpg

3028917922_7e14d9eeba_o.jpg

Flickr_-_DVS1mn_-_04_Chevrolet_SSR_(1).jpg

Chevrolet-SSR-031.jpg

chevrolet-ssr-interior-1.jpg

Saw one driving through Stafford a few years ago. Bright yellow. Turned every single head on the street.

Garnered confused looks, mostly. As opposed to occasional lip bites and nods of approval. Much like a UFO, nobody seemed sure what the hell they'd witnessed that day. Only that it wasn't a pretty sight.

Seriously uncool.

Last edited:
I like retro things... But this definitely is not cool. Intended to be a pickup truck of sorts, it nearly fails at doing that. It was only sold with a V8, so Uncool it is.

It's legitimately amazing that GM actually expected this to be warmly received as what essentially functioned (or was at least widely perceived) as a Camaro replacement. Pontiac really won out in that regard.

And while it's even more amazing that Old GM was able to make this thing so astonishingly close to the concept after it got such great response, it's not at all surprising that Old GM was dumb enough to actually put it into production under the impression that people would actually buy it when it came out when the much better Prowler had already eaten up of those sales and the even worse Thunderbird was already floundering on the market because of it.

Looks pretty good, and pretty quick when equipped with the LS2. The design/operation of the folding hard top is pretty neat as well.

But it wasn't a replacement for the Camaro as GM apparently thought, and outside of NASCAR parade vehicles I rarely ever saw one.

Still gets a Cool.

I'm thinking it's rather cool that GM decided to produce such a wild concept. It could have been a great hit.

If only they didn't cheap out on development and stuff the bodywork onto a big, heavy Trailblazer frame.

How something so low and sleek could weigh so much and go so slowly, even with all that power, is beyond me.

-

Granted, performance figures aren't really a measure of coolness, but they didn't endear these to buyers, either.

Let's build something that resembles something from the 50's, AND THE CROWD GOES : OOOOEEEEHHH AAAAH. Give it the horsepower from the 60's, AND THE CROWD GOES : OOOOEEEEHHH AAAAH. And then let it be as heavy as something from the 70's. AND THE CROWD GOES : EXCUSE ME?

I'm thinking it's rather cool that GM decided to produce such a wild concept. It could have been a great hit.

If only they didn't cheap out on development and stuff the bodywork onto a big, heavy Trailblazer frame.

How something so low and sleek could weigh so much and go so slowly, even with all that power, is beyond me.

-

Granted, performance figures aren't really a measure of coolness, but they didn't endear these to buyers, either.

I said Meh for about the same reason.
Horrible execution but points for trying something way out of the box (especially compared to most cars at the time).

That said, I think I'd rather have a PT Cruiser and I absolutely hate the PT Cruiser. :banghead:

It could have been SZ if GM made the SSR something like this custom SSR that has '59 El Camino body parts on it:
0e5ad86131c73484be1210889c92e398.jpg

... But they didn't. I like the SSR. I like that GM dared to actually build the thing, but it's SU. The fact that I see one that's a rolling advertisement for a Rally's in the area doesn't help either.

Not exactly pretty to look at, and I'm still kinda bewildered that this was intended to be a Camaro replacement.

Uncool.

I've seen a few around my area, my uncle also owned one for a few months (I never got to see it though). I've always found them to be bloated on top of being ugly.

-Seriously Uncool.

Doesn't really work as a pick-up, doesn't really work as a muscle car. Plus you'll look stupid driving a convertible truck too.

Uncool.

I enjoy the idea of new cars with a retro throwback design, but this was poorly executed on GM's part. The only thing that saves this from being seriously uncool is the engine. Sorry, Chevy. Uncool.

I would feel like a troll turning up in one of these at cars and coffee or some other meet, but somehow in a cool way. Balances out to a Meh from me. It doesn't really know what it is, and neither do I.

Part of me quite likes these, because I like weird cars, I quite like pickups, I appreciate that it's a V8, I really like that it's a convertible for some reason, and I get entertainment from buying them in Gran Turismo and attempting to make them not suck.

They are however astonishingly uncool.

Retro is terrible on most vehicles, the SSR included, but there's something about this I rather like. It's unique and I like convertible trucks. But none of that really makes this cool.

SUBTRC

Seriously Uncool Because Terrible Road Car.

Also, I had no idea these were only sold with V8.
Because America.

Convertible truck with good looks, V8, and a 6 speed is interesting at least, and I like it. Cool.

Back