GTP Cool Wall: 2003-2008 Mazda RX-8 (231 HP)

2003-2008 Mazda RX-8 (231 HP)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2003 Mazda RX-8 (231 HP) nominated by daan

5989962411_7d4a70bfa9_b.jpg

Stats

Production
2003-2008

Styles
4-door SedanCoupeExtendedCabThing

Engines
13B-MSP 40x2 ci/654x2 cc naturally aspirated rotary (rated 231 HP & 156 lb-ft)

Transmissions
6-speed manual

Layouts
Front-engine, Rear-drive
Question: didn't the American version have more power?

As for my opinion? Well, it's not exactly ugly or slow, but it just can't match the FD RX-7 in form or function.

I'd have to go with Uncool on this one.

I've always loved the RX8, but the pre-facelift one that's being polled looks downright ugly from certain angles. Add in the fact that the only way to justify buying one is by vaunting the merits of the rotary engine, which is deeply uncool.

I've always quite liked these cars, however now they're getting quite old and relatively cheap, they're starting to fall into the hands of the 'do you even lift, drift and slam it bro?' crowd.

And that makes it drop into uncool, but only just.

Drove one of these once. It was noisy, didn't feel that fast and had rock hard ride.

The colleague who's car it was got less than 20mpg and had to check the oil pretty much daily.

Don't see the fascination with them (or rotaries in general) myself.

"My car can produce 231 hp from a 1.3" makes you sound a)boring b)anal, and c) like a liar.

Of course, your not lying, but nobody really cares.

I think it's cool but voted sub-zero to get that category rolling haha! My reasons for thinking it's cool is the fact it exists at all. A 4 door coupe, suicide doors, interesting Rotary engine with a redline in excess of 9000, half aluminium body, carbon drive shaft, magnesium components, decent Bose sound system and full leather with electrics as standard and they managed to sell it all for under £22,000 as new in the UK?! Sure it has it's faults and the MPG per BHP ratio is rather abysmal but as an affordable car it's far more interesting than other cars at or near that price range. Oh, and to answer the OP's question about the American variants. For 2003 they were the same as the Japanese Type S model and they had 247 bhp. Shortly after launch it was revised and they had the same engine output as the rest of the world.

I think it's cool but voted sub-zero to get that category rolling haha! My reasons for thinking it's cool is the fact it exists at all. A 4 door coupe, suicide doors, interesting Rotary engine with a redline in excess of 9000, half aluminium body, carbon drive shaft, magnesium components, decent Bose sound system and full leather with electrics as standard and they managed to sell it all for under £22,000 as new in the UK?! Sure it has it's faults and the MPG per BHP ratio is rather abysmal but as an affordable car it's far more interesting than other cars at or near that price range. Oh, and to answer the OP's question about the American variants. For 2003 they were the same as the Japanese Type S model and they had 247 bhp. Shortly after launch it was revised and they had the same engine output as the rest of the world.

Boy imagine telling that to somebody as you approach your RX-8. They'll think you're so cool.

The car that spelled the death knell for current generation rotaries and goes through more oil than an Arabian refinery. Uncool.

From a design stand point, it is still pretty unique and interesting, so i would go with cool.... BUT

like everyone has pointed it out, this car doesnt quite live up to fully replace the still slick Rx-7... AND

if i remember,the RX-8 sadly was featured in a Britney Spears video...So Uncool!

Averaging the score,it would seem logical for me to vote Meh... but honestly i would have prefer to give it something between Meh and Cool...

EDIT: I voted cool because it still so rare to see one of those on the street, due to the above reasons and consensus by the general public... so for someone to own it, you would stand out frome the Corola/Camry/Civic/Accord crowd...

Last edited:
Uncool. It's one of those "if you get it, you'll want nothing else, but if you don't get it, stay away" cars.

I'm part of the latter group.

I'd have a rotary as a weekend car for sure but if it's for that, then there's no point in an RX-8 because the RX-7 was inherently a more exciting vehicle.

Never said I was insulted pal, my point being that your post served no purpose or added nothing to the thread except to dish out a casual insult.

Never said I was insulted pal, my point being that your post served no purpose or added nothing to the thread except to dish out a casual insult.

There was no insult.

Cars that have to be explained are uncool. You spent two paragraphs explaining the RX-8. Your explanation serves as an example of why this car is uncool.

Fans of the car feel the need to constantly teach the uninitiated why this car is special rather than just letting the car explain itself.

How very uncool.

He was offering a point as to why it was uncool, much in the same way as you were.

Are you an RX-8 owner, planning to introduce a friend to the nuances of your car with the description you posted? If not, then you can't get insulted by it. At all.

Even if you were in this situation, you'd still have to explain to me why a valid reason for being uncool is insulting.

Oh I can't choose.

It's a car where every detail was really well thought out and made for a desirable vehicle... but the thirst-per-performance and legendary reputation they have for being extremely finicky and catastrophically unreliable if not treated in a certain way make them one of the least desirable vehicles ever made. As evidenced by current prices.

*coin toss*

...being extremely finicky and catastrophically unreliable if not treated in a certain way make them one of the least desirable vehicles ever made.

Does not uncool make.

A car being slower than it's predescesor is always bad. The stupid pickup truck doors make it worse. Uncool.

Saved from SU by the rotary engine.

Back