GTP Cool Wall: 2003-2010 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren

  • Thread starter Thread starter White & Nerdy
  • 79 comments
  • 6,890 views

2003-2010 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren


  • Total voters
    113
  • Poll closed .
View attachment 116869

This is all I needed to see before I knew I was going to vote uncool.

How does me replying to the thread make you think that? That's more narrow minded than some of the things W&N used to say.
 
I don't think you replying to the thread had anything to do with it.

I think the fact that it's a modern Mercedes-Benz had everything to do with it.
 
I think he was more so referring to the fact of the name of the thread title that popped up in the news feed more so than you replying to it.

EDIT: Treed
 
Oh. It looked like he was implying that my input into the thread made the car uncool. Sorry, daan.
 
Looks better in black.

black_mclaren_slr_in_yorkville_1.jpg

This 👍

mercedes-benz-slr-mclaren.jpg


Awesome :bowdown:
 
This car and the CLK-GTR are the only MB that are subzero.
 
Voted uncool. It just doesn't please the eye in any way, i would have voted it 'SU' but that vote would have to go to the hideous 'Peugeot (Proboscis nosed) 907', which looks a lot like the Mc Merc (IMO).
 
The W198 and W113 want a very stern word with you...
I just googled them The 300SL is subzero for sure the W113 isn't that cool IMHO but I am not a big fan of MB. They have always been yuppie cars to me.
 
Cool.
 
The only thing that's cool about it is the doors, unique doors are always cool to me. But the car itself isn't cool.
 
A bonnet that continues forever, two upward moving doors, an awesome supercharged 5.4 litre engine, exhausts infront of the driver, the seperate heritage of the original SLR 300 and McLaren put together

It's a sub-zero folks.

its an ultimate GT car with a million-billion horsepower (ok 626bhp) it's body is made from carbon fibre, it has a 208mph top speed, the first road car I can remember with an air brake, look at the wheels.

But for all its amazing features, it did cost 330,000 pounds, strictly speaking, if you wanted to go as fast as possible on a race track, you'd buy a mid-engined car, but for something to own every day, that could eat anyone at a set of lights, and you could afford it, probably the coolest GT car of its time. At the minute, I'm struggling to think of a GT car I'd want more.
 
I'm not sure I want to talk to you any more :lol:
LOL Sorry not exposed to MB much in New Mexico especially growing up in the '80s they had a stigma of a rich yuppie or drug dealer car. I am always open to learn more. That W124 500E is kinda neat lookinh in a boxy Volvo kind of way.
 
Sub zero
9138544482_60f03f8b71_z.jpg

especially in this color.
 
Am...am I the only one who feels this is better-looking than the SLS? It's like a finely crafted sword on wheels. Also it makes me think of a swordfish. I like swordfish. :dopey:

The SLS does look great and it has cleaner lines, and I know it's meant to hark back to the 300 SL Gullwing, one of the most beautiful cars ever made, but it doesn't really have the grace and classiness of its ancestor.


I understand about the notion of not knowing what the SLR's trying to be though.
 
The one in blue/yellow looks excellent but that's only because of the color combo.
 
I personally think it looks better in darker paints.
 
A grotesque monstrosity of a car that was utterly without merit. Super-fast? Sure, though Merc stuck an even more ridiculous engine in the SL65 that outpowered this for less than half the price. Chassis by McLaren? Great - too bad it's still a pig and loaded up with piles of pounds. Mercedes styling in the early 2000's wasn't exactly a strong suit to begin with - 2001+ SL and CL excepted - getting chintzier and more fussy compared the cheapness of the 90's and the hewn-from-granite look of the 80's. But this, this was just a caricature of all their stylistic features taken to near-breaking point. It has proportions that make the Viper look like an Intrepid. That droopy nose is meant to tie the SLR to the F1 cars, but it just looks tired - and barring the carbon in the construction, is the closest tie this thing has to F1. There's just way too much going on, design-wise, to ever call this classy.

That it was released around the same time as the racy, genuinely F1-aping Enzo, or the knife-edged, take-no-prisoners Carrera GT did it no favours. Seriously Uncool, since two companies had to compromise on their usual approaches to cars to build it.
 
Meh, it was Mclaren wanting hypercar performance, then Mercedes said "oh wait hang on lads, we want a car that looks quite normal." Cue a kinda half compromised design and a car with an identity crisis over if it wanted to be a luxury sports car or bare bones supercar.
 
It escapes Seriously Uncool because of how difficult it is not to find the sound it makes intoxicating.
 
Actually, I will say the taillights are pretty cool.
 
Seriously overrated which means seriously uncool.
 
How can we have a discussion of 'cool' Mercs without mention of the ridiculous 560SEC?

Mercedes-560-SEC-AMG-6-0-729x486-824784c1a9a449b5.jpg


I mean, if you're going to have a ridiculously heavy Grand Tourer, might as well go full retard on it.

But if I end up doing this:
128.jpg


Somebody please stop me.



 
Back