Engines:
3.5L V6 (Nissan VQ35DE)
Power: 260 hp
Torque: 251 lb-ft.
Weight: 1485 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door sedan​

350Z engine is all the credibility it has, but you'll need to say that to people and that's Uncool.

Uncool, like the "sporty" Camry SE it would likely be cross-shopped with. It's a bit like adding a racing stripe to a loaf of plain white bread. Would've made slightly more sense had Nissan kept the SE-R tag for the second-gen coupe, but even then, why not just buy a year old 350Z?

I'll never forget the fact that the performance-oriented Altima was actually slower than the regular car it was based upon. :lol:

Car and Driver
Granted, the SE-R's output, 260 horses and 251 pound-feet of torque, won't be remembered as a turning point at a time when it takes 500 horsepower to make a headline. But the SE-R lunges down the drag strip, putting 60 mph behind it in 6.1 seconds, rattling off a quarter-mile in 14.8 seconds at 97 mph. The 12.6-inch front discs and 11.5-inch rears bring it to a halt from 70 mph in 168 feet, and double-D soles get it around the skidpad pulling 0.86 g. That's fairly rabid for a family car carrying 3380 pounds and a $29,930 base price. It is 0.2 second slower to 60 than the last 3.5SE we tested, but the SE-R also picked up 160 pounds.

I do like the looks of this car a lot, combined with a fair amount of power, I'll give it a low cool.

Can't think of any cool reasons why you'd take this over a 350z. It doesn't look bad for that sort of thing. But that sort of thing is a FWD family saloon. Uncool.

Wouldn't really notice it. Would just think the owner put those wheels on it.

On the plus side, it does look quite good. Meh.

I have always loved how these look, more than once it made me look at it in the street, and I'm not talking about the SR-E, but the normal car. I've only seen two SE-Rs on the street and my first tought was "whoa, one of those!"... sadly followed by "someone actually bought one".

As much as I like the car, how it looks, and the concept behind it, it's not cool.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha-- Volvo.
That first additional pic just screams Volvo to me.
And I'll pass on having a 4 door fwd sedan, I'll take a Ford Falcon or Commodore which can be more entertaining and fun to drive, as well as more appealing to look at
It's got the same engine as a 350Z, but it belongs in... Let me say, the 350Z.
Uncool

Last edited:
Before I bought the Abarth, I was looking for one of these but couldn't find one. I always really liked them. Cool.

These are actually rather good to drive, for front-wheel drive barges. Great motor, too.

-

Doesn't make them cool, however.

I guess it really comes down to how you want to qualify it.

At the time, there was such a strange trend of the different brands trying to enter the affordable sport sedan market, and I don't know if there was any particular reason why. Sure, the Mazdaspeed 6 was doing reasonably well, and the Legacy 2.5 GT was doing whatever it was doing. But, for some reason, Nissan decided to do a truly sporty version of the Altima 3.5 SE, and came up with a car that was legitimately fun, and spooky quick. The same car would inspire Mitsubishi to do a Ralliart version of the Gallant (which hardly anyone remembers), which in of itself was a credible sport sedan somehow.

I dunno. I mean, can an Altima ever be cool? Maybe not. But seeing one of these is special, particularly if they've been well taken care of. I'll call it cool.

I guess it really comes down to how you want to qualify it.

At the time, there was such a strange trend of the different brands trying to enter the affordable sport sedan market, and I don't know if there was any particular reason why. Sure, the Mazdaspeed 6 was doing reasonably well, and the Legacy 2.5 GT was doing whatever it was doing. But, for some reason, Nissan decided to do a truly sporty version of the Altima 3.5 SE, and came up with a car that was legitimately fun, and spooky quick. The same car would inspire Mitsubishi to do a Ralliart version of the Gallant (which hardly anyone remembers), which in of itself was a credible sport sedan somehow.

I dunno. I mean, can an Altima ever be cool? Maybe not. But seeing one of these is special, particularly if they've been well taken care of. I'll call it cool.
I honestly loved this generation Altima, but they could've done lots better with the SE-R. There wasn't much about the SE-R in my eyes that made it... er... "wantable".

Nissan can do sports pretty well. I just felt they didn't do that well with this as they did with the Sentra SE-R.

Back