GTP Cool Wall: 2006-2010 Honda Civic (European variant)

2006-2010 Honda Civic (European variant)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2006-1010 Honda Civic (European variant) nominated by @Grayfox

honda_civic_hatchback_36841.jpg

Stats

Production
2006-2010

Styles
3-door hatchback
5-door hatchback

Engines
L13A7 82 ci/1,339 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 4 (rated 84 HP & 88 lb-ft)
L13Z1 82 ci/1,339 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 4 (rated 98 HP & 94 lb-ft)
R18A2 110 ci/1,799 cc naturally aspirated OHC inline 4 (rated 138 HP & 128 lb-ft)
K20Z4 122 ci/1,998 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 201 HP & 142 lb-ft)
N22A2 135 ci/2,204 cc turbocharged diesel DOHC inline 4 (rated 140 HP & 251? lb-ft)

Transmissions
5-speed manual?
6-speed manual
5-speed automatic?
CVT?

Layouts
Front-engine, Front-drive

Notes
This European model of Civic was known as the FK or FN chassis depending on body style and is distinct from U.S., Japanese, and other versions of the Civic, using a simpler suspension design relative to the American and Japanese versions.

No torque figure in lb-ft was provided for the diesel engine, so I had to use an online converter. Accuracy unknown.

I'm not sure if the CVT was available in the European model, as Wikipedia has all 8th-generation Civics on the same page. For this same reason, I'm not sure if the 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic is the i-SHIFT automated manual mentioned in the text, and may have missed an engine (though I somewhat doubt it).

My Take
Uncool, bordering on seriously so. First, it's a Honda. Second, It's a Civic (though perhaps those aren't quite as stereotyped in Europe as they are in the United States, and I'm not sure how many people still associate Civics with ricers here anymore anyway). And third, it's not really what I'd call good-looking.

The Type-R on it's own would have been a Meh. The rest of the range balances to a plain Uncool.

It was cool for all of about eight seconds when everyone went "IT LOOKS LIKE A SPACESHIP!".

Pretty much this. Civics (barring the Type R) are just designed to be used from point A to B. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but its not cool because of it. Plus, I find the American and Japanese market Civics infinitely more interesting to look at. This gets a high meh though, because of the triangular exhaust pipes, which are cool in fairness.

This was the worst Civic made, the Japanese FD chassis was a lot better in every way. The FN chassis is ugly, in Type R spec it was slower than it's predecessor because it was heavier and it didn't gain enough bhp to balance it out. I hate this civic with a passion, it's not seriously uncool but it's still uncool.

Uncool. I don't mind it and it looks better than the Civic we got in the states, but it's just a car to get you around town and not many people would take a second look at it. The Type R might have received a different rating, but looking at the engines listed I'm guessing it wasn't included.

Uncool. I don't mind it and it looks better than the Civic we got in the states, but it's just a car to get you around town and not many people would take a second look at it. The Type R might have received a different rating, but looking at the engines listed I'm guessing it wasn't included.

The Type R engine is included.
K20Z4 122 ci/1,998 cc naturally aspirated DOHC inline 4 (rated 201 HP & 142 lb-ft)

K20Z4
Found in:2007-2010 Civic Type R
(European) (FN2)

Uncool, bordering on seriously so. First, it's a Honda.

Awww :(

But yeah this isn't a cool car, it's pretty bland and although the interior is a nice place to be on the higher end models it's just a bit.....boring. You know a manufacturer has done something wrong when the model you'd choose would be the diesel.

Wasn't there a big argument just last month about W&N posting his opinion in the OP?:indiff:

Anyways, I always liked this Civic much better then the one we got in North America. The styling is really crazy for a small compact car, Honda took a huge gamble in an effort to shed their image of making beige soapboxes for old people, and they have to be respected for that.

Low Cool.

It was cool for all of about eight seconds when everyone went "IT LOOKS LIKE A SPACESHIP!".

Haha, silence. I remember saying that myself :lol:

I've always liked how these look, muuuuuch better looking than it's american counterpart which we also got here.

Uncool.

The UK civic had a 6-speed manual, 5 speed auto and a 6 speed i-shift.

The Honda I-SHIFT is a 6-speed semi-automatic transmission (a type of transmission with a hydraulic computer controlled clutch). Honda’s I-SHIFT only debuted recently on the European market Honda Civic hatchback, pairing it with the 1.3 i-VTEC and 1.8 i-VTEC engines. Honda Jazz United Kingdom, January 2010 - January 2011, 1.3 i-VTEC.

Picture of the shifter.
8686881408_92d1e8d6fa_z.jpg

Production was from 2006-2011

Also the diesel engine was a N22A1.

A Meh because unfortunately it was never quite good enough as a car, merely as a style statement.
The Type R was a little worse than that.

The American variant is uncool. The Euro variant is seriously uncool because it has a light bar on the front.

Civics are cars that try to be sporty, but fail miserably. I'd take a Cadillac Cimarron before this.

Uncool. It is just "a car". I like them - we have one in the family - and I like that there's a Type R version. But cool? Nope.

My take?

Okay, I might be a bit biased, but whatever.

I think that it's sub zero, mainly because when it was released, it COMPLETELY changed the (well technically, my) viewpoint of Family Hatchbacks. Usually, and previously, they were mainly all drap and dreary. But when this came along.. :sly:

Also, my parents had a Type R for a couple of years, before they got a M135i. C;

The worst Civic. Shame because it looks kinda good, but it's still uncool. Even the Type-R is not what it used to be. It's just another car.

My take?

Okay, I might be a bit biased, but whatever.

I think that it's sub zero, mainly because when it was released, it COMPLETELY changed the (well technically, my) viewpoint of Family Hatchbacks. Usually, and previously, they were mainly all drap and dreary. But when this came along.. :sly:

Also, my parents had a Type R for a couple of years, before they got a M135i. C;

Yes you are a tiny bit biased :lol:. Personally I think that most hatchbacks were boring unless they were performance variants but now, they all are pretty good and fun. My parents had an EP3 Type R, and I loved it but I still wouldn't vote that sub zero personally, but each to their own I guess. 👍

Civics are cars that try to be sporty, but fail miserably. I'd take a Cadillac Cimarron before this.
Civics aren't sporty, because there not meant to be. Even the Type Rs aren't meant to be massively sporty, they're just meant to be a fun car that can get you from point A to B with a massive grin on your face and still be practical, which they do well. I really think you don't understand the meaning of a fun car, you're just like @White & Nerdy.

Not the Civic I used to know. This one is simply an insult to the sedan and hatchback civic's we had in the 90's. God bless them.

This gets a SU vote from me.

Uncool. Better looking car than the U.S. version for sure, and civics are always competent cars. The interior looks pretty similar to the U.S. car too, and I find it a very comfortable place to be. I'd almost certainly like this car.

That's a pretty bold statement. Is your hate for Civics so strong you'd refuse to drive a perfectly reasonable hatchback and instead choose to drive one of the worst cars ever made just to say you aren't driving a Civic?

Seriously uncool:

1. It's a Civic, owned exclusively by ricers
2. It's hideous, probably the worst looking Civic ever
3. V Tec just kicked in yo.

Latest Posts

Back