United States
New York
Jahgee1124
2007+ Audi R8 nominated by @AudiMan2011
03-2014-audi-r8-v10-plus-fd.jpg

Body Style: 2-door Coupé, 2-door Roadster
Engine: 4.2L V8, 5.2L V10
Power Output: 420 HP, 518 HP
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual, 7 Speed Manual, 6 Speed Automatic, 7 Speed Automatic
Drivetrain: Mid Engine, All Wheel Drive
Additional Information: Described by Jacky Ickx as "the best handling road car today". Shares parts with the Lamborghini Gallardo. A police car version, tuned up to 611 HP, was unveiled in 2011. Only 6 were made in the first year of production, 2005.

If it's cool enough for Tony Stark, it's cool enough for me. Add to the fact that it's part insane Italian, and part refined German, and it's an easy Sub Zero.

Sub-Zero. It's a supercar you can use every day so long as you pack lightly, both engines sound top, it's great to drive, and actual women like the look of it unlike those expressionless money suckers that flock to Ferraris or Lamborghinis. At least down here anyway.

Solid Cool, a refined supercar that is useable and is available with a V10 engine, I would've gone Sub Zero but not many supercars are that cool.

I like it, but.. the trouble with this super car is that it's dull.

Seriously, seriously dull.

Seriously seriously seriously seriously dull.

There's nothing special about the R8 in particular. You can get anything it can do better in many other cars.

But it's an easy cool.

It's quite an impressive machine and the noises it makes are sweet!

BUT

It sits in a supercar price range which is attainable for those 'daddy bought it for me' douchebags.

Uncool.

I've read many glowing reviews of the R8, but it leaves me completely cold. To my eyes it really doesn't look anything special compared to its main rivals; it doesn't have the wow factor of a Ferrari or Lamborghini, nor does it have the subtle class of an Aston Martin. R8s are stuck somewhere in the middle, and seem completely underwhelming with it.

Audi used to be a cool brand. I love the first gen A8, for example. Then Audi took over BMW's crown of being the de facto car for those with a few quid to spend on a car, but little to no imagination at all. Now they're just driven agressively by - on the whole - arrogant morons.

Seriously, seriously uncool.

I'm going to have to say Sub Zero. Right from when it was released I loved the look and stance of the car, plus the fact that they keep on developing this. I've seen a few around and it's always a head turner for me, not to mention it was in one of the simplest and greatest adverts of all time...

I actually prefer this over the Gallardo, simply because of its looks and I personally haven't seen every rapper who ever lived driving one in all of their music videos. I am very pleased with Audi's design changes every year. I would love to drive one of these, regardless of the engine.

SZ.

I fell in love with the R8 when I first saw it. I loved the way that it looked completely different to Audi's other models with it's swooping mid-engined shape and awesome looking sideblades. The quality inside is usual top-notch Audi and both engines make a great noise.

Personally, I find the V8 to be the sweeter engine than the V10. Although I've only had a brief drive in one, it felt like an Audi that could actually be exciting. The performance is really exploitable thanks to the quattro system and it'll be more usable on a daily basis than other supercars. I'd love to hire one out to see what it would be like living with one.

Sub-Zero.

Seriously Uncool for many, many reasons.

edit: I can't really sum up how negative every single emotion I have for this car is. I would not want to be seen in an R8 at all, I mean not even a little bit, I mean, not even pulling up outside a ladies house, my friends house, my parents house, my local pub, my local club, my local sub, my place of work or my home... I mean, there's lots of cars I don't like, but would still tick a lot of those boxes despite my dislike of them, but the R8, it makes my skin crawl just thinking about being seen getting out of one.

I'm sure its a good car and all that, but I've personally always hated the looks of it from from any other angle than behind.

Plus, the people that drive them.. genetically splice the worst aspects of BMW drivers and Porsche drivers, put them in a black roll-neck sweater with some thick framed rectangular spectacles, and apply the smug superiority of a 55 year old that owns a small chain of estate agencies... and that's an R8 owner. (actually of the three R8 owners I've known, one was a fraudster, one a builder, and one a retiree... but that's just the vibe I get from R8's)

Last edited:
This car is a love-hate thing for me.

I like the looks, the V10 engine and is somewhat cool if it had another badge, but it's way too common for a supercar and it's an Audi. I can't vote meh, because that's reserved for when I don't feel anything for the car.

I think I have to go with uncool

Looks like a big TT. Only Audi can make a mid-engined, V10, ~500bhp look a bit dull. Also, I once saw someone in a white convertible R8 pull up near a pub, in rather full view of people, and stall. I think that says it all, really.

How to make a V10 (or V8) MR powerhouse that people won't give a second glance. Not that it's a bad-looking Audi, but it's so straight-laced that most of the supercar liveliness has been washed away.

At least it's easily distinguishable from the Seriously Uncool identikit models Audi churns out today. But it's still not cool.

This would have been a cool car if it did get the V12 TDI. But it didn't so it's meh.

Latest Posts

Back