• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2007+ NASCAR Nextel/Sprint Cup Car of Tomorrow nominated by Jahgee124

COT2bodine3-27.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2007+
Style: Race Car
Engine: 358 ci/5,860 cc naturally aspirated OHV V8 (estimated 865 HP & 530 lb-ft without restrictor plate, 445 HP & ??? lb-ft with restrictor plate)
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Transmission: Front-engine, Rear-drive​

Note: Engine specs and ratings are probably a typical example of a carbureted 2007 model. Different engines from different builders will come up with slightly different displacements within the range of 350-358 ci, and probably slightly different power outputs, but no information on these differences is available with a fast Google search. Also, the new fuel injected models may have somewhat different levels of output, but I don't know. All vehicles, however, use NA OHV V8s, 4-speed manual transmissions, and an FR layout.

Ew. Never was a huge NASCAR fan, and especially never cared for the car of tomorrow, in fact on it's debut, I 🤬 hated it. The cars themselves I haven't really liked in at least 10 or so years, I feel NASCAR died after Dale Earnhardt died. That said, the only thing saving this from uncool is the fact they still used 40+ year old engines, at least until 2009 or so when most of them go updated with new, non production engines. This was about the last straw for them to be somewhat street-related, like how NASCAR was intended to be. Now, I find it hard to find anything street related. In fact the only thing I can think of is a minor resemblance from Toyota's engine into the TRD truck, and that's pushing it.

Meh, only saved from uncool or lower by the fact they use extremely old (but not outdated, there's a difference) engines.

In before idiotic turning left jokes.

Seriously Uncool because race car. Further seriously uncool because it's the butt of so many jokes (accurate or not).

Worst NASCAR car ever, turned many off from the sport, Seriously Uncool

Also, this is the 2007-2009 one with the wing and struts, not the 2010-2012 one with the spoiler and regular splitter

Some of these nominees just exist so that they might be the first thing to actually reach Hell. I'm looking at you, Suzuki APV.

The only saving grace this 'thing' can possibly rise away from seriously uncool is.. speed. Yep, there are more factors than speed to truly consider. I'm not saying speed is a straight on plus to the cool, but it's one thing that makes the car cool, but not by much.

And then there's the sport of NASCAR. I have a mixed bag on the sport. It's like if each racing is a sport, NASCAR would be comparable to gentleman's boxing: i don't mind where you hit me, but push me too hard, and it won't be pleasant.

My opinion: uncool.. no wait. Speed won't save you now, ugly. Seriously uncool because.. look at it! This is why TopGear makes good laughs sometimes. The way i see NASCAR: make it look like the Piston cup, where cars of all shapes and sizes can race in equality (in your dreams). The cars going round just looks and feels like M&Ms.

There's a car... with the M&Ms livery? Emm..

Eww, wing.

Least favourite of all the Nascars, but it's still a race car with a ton of power.
And the lack of downforce makes for great racing, it's like V8 Supercars, but more awesome.

Would be uncool due to COT, but gets bumped up to a meh because of its safety.

It DID save McDowell's life.

That's also the wrong picture, that wing is much smaller than what was used on the final design.
(Looks like an early prototype.)

This would be better.

Only heard a NASCAR once in the flesh, and that was barely at full chat, but it's still one of my favourite noises made by a car ever. I don't mind NASCAR as a sport, and I don't subscribe to this 'automatic uncool because Race car idea'... but I just don't find it a cool car anyway (aside from the noise). So, M'eh.

Not just a NASCAR, but that one?

:lol:

Nawww.. actually it was this one... and I'm pretty sure Coulthard didn't floor it other than to do doughnuts!

.. not my video by the way.

Most American V8's sound like that when you get on the gas :P

Seemed, to have a crisp, yet creamy sound to it... seemed different to the big American V8's I hear at the drag strip.

Only heard a NASCAR once in the flesh, and that was barely at full chat, but it's still one of my favourite noises made by a car ever. I don't mind NASCAR as a sport, and I don't subscribe to this 'automatic uncool because Race car idea'... but I just don't find it a cool car anyway (aside from the noise). So, M'eh.
This, almost to the word.

But I can't bring myself to vote "meh" for anything - if it's that uninteresting it's probably uncool - so... uncool.

Meh.

Nascar is cool, but the COT isn't.

The COT seemed like a rushed project. I respect that they tried to make the cars safer, but not sure if they did. These things tipped over, got airborne when spun around, didn't take turns as well as the previous cars, the foam in the door panels caught fire from the exhaust heat, and they were harder for a driver to get out of in an emergency.

Also appears they gave it to members of the Fast and Furious crowd to handle the aesthetics, and doing so continued to drive away the core fan base.

COT saved lives and prevented injuries. It also prevented overtaking and excitement ~roll on Kyle Busch victory lane comment~

"Can't stand to drive them. They suck"

Since there's no rating lower than seriously uncool, I gave it that. 👎 Read my posts in the NASCAR threads to see my opinion of it and the sport in general.

I swear I remember there being a rule for the Cool Wall that a race car can't be nominated. :odd:

Since there's no rating lower than seriously uncool, I gave it that. 👎 Read my posts in the NASCAR threads to see my opinion of it and the sport in general.
Is your opinion that it's stupid because it takes no skill and they just turn left in circles? Because i'm sick of those extremist 'opinions' that take no note of facts. If not, we're all good 👍.

Nawww.. actually it was this one... and I'm pretty sure Coulthard didn't floor it other than to do doughnuts!

.. not my video by the way.

Seemed, to have a crisp, yet creamy sound to it... seemed different to the big American V8's I hear at the drag strip.

That's because they are built to different specs turning different RPMs.

The sound of one alone may be exhilarating, but I don't care much for NASCAR. The sport itself is far from what I'd consider to be cool, and the cars themselves definitely aren't. The Car of Tomorrow being the prime example.

Last edited:
There is no difference between the Dodge, Ford, Toyota and Chevrolet. The cars have absolutely no identification and dare I say it, are generic. Add to that the generic feel of the tracks and you have something very boring.

Uncool.

Back