GTP Cool Wall: 2008+ Fiat 500 Abarth (US Spec)

2008+ Fiat 500 Abarth

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2008+ Fiat 500 Abarth (US Spec) nominated by Crispy

fiat-500-abarth-xl.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2008-present
Style: 3-door hatchback
Engine: ?? ci/1.4 L turbocharged inline 4 (rated 160 HP & 170 lb-ft)
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Layout: Front-engine, front-drive
My take? Cuteness is seriously uncool. This car is cute. Ergo...

I like it, I wouldn't have one in That color though.

Do I think its cool? A little, but I don't thinks uncool.

Being stock, its actually rather quick from what I've seen at our local drag strip. When I first saw it, I hated it but once I got up close I changed my min. I find it cool.

For the specs of the car, I give it a cool rank. But I'm not a huge fan of the 500, so an uncool rank. So a meh rank for me.

Seriously uncool, however good it is the 500 was made as fad car not a drivers car, like the DS3 and Vauxhall Adam etc. It's too shouty and OTT to be cool. To give it credit though, it does make an awesome noise for a turbo four-pot.

Cool, looks good and is pretty fast. It's also cool because they went from a rubbish little standard 500 and did that to it.

A cautious cool.

It's Italian, which is a good start. It's also fun, and it doesn't scream "overcompensating". Misses out on Sub-Z because it's not a classic rear-engined Abarth, which is even smaller, even more fun, and even less likely to scream "overcompensating".

never liked these, but if it were another micro/city like the Fiesta I'd probably vote different. It's an uncool/meh for me. Don't think I could vote any micro above cool though.

Last edited:
I really like it because of it's versatility! It's small enough as a town car, it's fun if you want it to and with some little modifications this can be a very capable track car even.

Cool!

Very, VERY, uncool.
Would much rather have so many other FWD cars.

Cool. It's a cheeky little hot hatch and is just one of the reasons why you don't need super power to have fun. It's still docile enough to be a daily driver and it's reasonably cheap to buy. Granted, older Abarths were more loony, but this is still fun.

Cool. It's a cheeky little supermini and is just one of the reasons why you don't need super power to have fun. It's still docile enough to be a daily driver and it's reasonably cheap to buy. Granted, older Abarths were more loony, but this is still fun.
Sorry I had to correct you, it's not a hot hatch. I do agree with you though. 👍

Sorry I had to correct you, it's not a hot hatch. I do agree with you though. 👍
How is it not a hot hatch? It's a hatchback with significantly more power than the standard car - that makes it a hot hatch. It's not as powerful as a Focus ST say, but you can't really draw a line at power since it's going up all the time.

I say cool, just missing sub zero. It's such a wild, playful car, and it wants to have fun.

Cool, but only just. While its specs make it look like it'd be fun to drive, it's also the sort of thing a teenage girl will squeal about how cute it is (looking at you, Miata). Still...if a car's fun enough to drive, that can be overlooked to an extent.

The regular version, though, would get a Meh or an uncool.

I like the new 500 (although not nearly as much as the old one), and with Abarth's help it's definitely cool. Would have been sub zero if it was an old Abarth.

Small, European hatchbacks are cool. Warmer and hotter ones are cooler - unless they have unnecessarily florid, alphabet soup names (and this one's called "FIAT 500 Abarth 595 Turismo" at best).

However, cars that could look like anything and are instead made to look like a predecessor with which they share almost no similarity for the sake of "retro" are automatically seriously uncool.

It cool, it's fun to drive, looks great, makes other people smile, and it's a car that doesn't take itself too seriously. Also it sound awesome when you get on it.

Being retro does keep it out of sub-zero though.

How is it not a hot hatch? It's a hatchback with significantly more power than the standard car - that makes it a hot hatch. It's not as powerful as a Focus ST say, but you can't really draw a line at power since it's going up all the time.
It's classed a Supermini because of it's size not power. Ok you could class it as a hot hatch but, it's technically classed a supermini.

It's a hot hatch to me. It's a hatchback that is hot. Also, isn't the 500 classed as a city car anyway?

Yes. "Supermini" is just a vehicle size classification. "Hatchback" is a bodystyle. You can have hatchback superminis (in fact you usually do), so there's no disconnect in having a hot hatch supermini - they're not mutually exclusive terms.

It's an awesome supermini with great looks, but I had to rate it uncool because of something else. If you're at least somewhat big or tall; you'll look silly in it. Really, I'm not the tallest or biggest guy in the world, but I've sat in one before and I felt silly.

The new 500 is certainly the coolest of all the recent "retro" cars that seem to have become so popular recently, which lands it just into cool in my book. Being an Abarth does little to change this.

A normal 500 would be "Meh" by my standards: nice car, but it'd do nothing for me.
Now, we're talking about an Abarth, which instantly makes it cooler. 👍

Cool.

It's classed a Supermini because of it's size not power. Ok you could class it as a hot hatch but, it's technically classed a supermini.
And a Golf GTI is classed as a small family car. By your definition it's not a hot hatchback either. See Famine's explanation.

Back