Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2009-2012 Mazda RX-8 nominated by @All Your Base

Mazda_RX-8_SPIRIT_R_(SE3P)_front.JPG

Body Style:
2-door coupé
Engine: 1.3L 2-rotor Wankel
Power: 212 hp (automatic models), 232 hp (manual models)
Torque: 159 ft-lb
Weight: 1350-1410 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear wheel drive
Additional Information:
Mazda introduced a major update for their RX-8 for the 2009 model year. Among the improvements over the 2003-2008 RX-8 were improved body rigidity through the addition of structural reinforcements, revised rear suspension for better handling, shortened final drive gear ratio (1.444 to 1.477) to make the car faster off the line, a revised Renesis engine adding a third oil injection port in each rotor housing to feed oil to the middle of the rotor facing, which improved many of the engine issues found in earlier models of the RX-8, and an updated look to freshen the appearance of the car. There were four model trims sold from 2009 to 2012: Sport, Grand Touring, R3, and Spirit R. The R3 trim was introduced for the 2009 model year, with a slightly improved suspension by adding Bilstein shock absorbers, a foam filled front crossmember to improve rigidity, a lower front end bumper sporting a splitter, lower side sills, and a standard rear spoiler, and special Recaro seats. The Spirit R was introduced for the 2012 model year for the Japanese market built as a celebration for the end of RX-8 production. RX-8 production ended on June 22, 2012, one day after Mazda rotary engine production ended.

2010-mazda-rx-8-2.jpg

2009-Mazda-RX-8-Grand-Touring-1.jpeg
the-worlds-only-rotary-powered-sports-car-may-.jpg
2011-mazda-rx-8-9.jpg
Mazda-RX8_NAIAS08_10__jpg300.jpg

Great chassis sadly let down by an anemic engine with questionnable reliability and oil/fuel consumption. Like all Mazdas of that vintage, they also rust like it's out of fashion, the pre-facelift ones a lot more actually.

Meh.

This one hurts me, because I'm obsessed with Mazda and I absolutely adore anything RX or MX.

I'd love to own one, I don't care that the engine isn't as good as the one in the FD RX7 or about the characteristic Wankel issues. I want one. Badly. The suicide doors, the raspy exhaust, the amazing chassis, the :censored:ing triangles EVERYWHERE design ethos! In my dream garage, I have like four or five of these.

But, as it has been said time and time again, it's not a like wall or a good wall. It's a cool wall and, to the average woman you're trying to impress on a first date, it's uncool.

Sorry, Mazda RX8. I still love you.

The car that caused the downfall of rotaries as small turbo motors were starting to get a foothold. Also rotary fanboys.

Uncool.

On paper the lack of things to go wrong would make this a great Race Car. Just a little thirsty is all. That is only on paper though.

I know these handle great, most Mazda cars seem a cut above in their respective segment as far as that goes.

The engine seemed promising at first, a match for the S2000 on paper. Then we found out some of those horses called in sick. Then we find out it drinks fuel like a fullsize V8 pickup, and oil like a 2 stroke Mercury outboard.

I don't really hate them, but this is one rolling money pit that needs to be explained constantly, and explaining is never a cool thing to do.

This is one of the few cars made in the past decade I am willing to give out a Sub-Zero to. Why? It's the last rotary-engined car (for now at least), it looks beautiful, it handles great, it's more reliable than the pre-facelift models, and suicide doors. This car is also my first choice for my first car, which was the reason I nominated it. I do, however, understand why people are voting uncool for this car, as it wastes gas and oil like a madman, but pretty much all rotary cars do that. Still, not a reason at all to bring down my Sub-Zero vote.

to the average woman you're trying to impress on a first date, it's uncool.

"-We have to stop for gas...

-But you just stopped for gas 20 minutes ago!

-I know, it's complicated but...

-Okay, uh bye.... "

I love RX-8s, but I can never call an older Mazda "sedan" with a Wankel (which means you've got some 'splaining to do) cool.

Uncool.

"-We have to stop for gas...

-But you just stopped for gas 20 minutes ago!

-I know, it's complicated but...

-Okay, uh bye.... "

-Well, Claudia, it's one of the trade-offs of a Wankel!

-I'm sorry, a what?!?

-A wankel! You see, there was this german engineer that got kicked out of the Nazi party for being too Nazi...and you end up with a dorito-shaped assembly spinning inside a housing and turning an eccentric shaft...but wait! Why are you running? Claudia! I haven't told you how stiff this car is on the touge!

Last edited:
This thread is making me reconsider buying one as a track toy lol

Why should it? The car's awesome and no amount of internet nay-sayers can change that. I'd love having one but they're around US$40,000 USED here where I live...so non-RX Mazda it is!

The only thing being said it's that it isn't cool. It really isn't cool but, damn, it is one fine piece of machinery! :drool:

Meh. The pre-refresh models look better. And while the Wankel is cool, it's got problems. I just wonder what Mazda's planned new Wankel powered car is like. Though it's still cool that it's a real 4 seater. Too bad they never put a turbo in this car.

This thread is making me reconsider buying one as a track toy lol
Track day bro!

Cool. Let down by performance and reliability issues of the pre-facelift models. Still, would love to own one.

Meh. The pre-refresh models look better. And while the Wankel is cool, it's got problems. I just wonder what Mazda's planned new Wankel powered car is like. Though it's still cool that it's a real 4 seater. Too bad they never put a turbo in this car.

Track day bro!
I wanna go to a track day but I got $40k left on my Genesis so... Ya. I don't wanna **** my car and end up paying $600+ a month excluding insurance for a beater if I screw up, so I'm looking for a cheap car that I can finance on top of my car that will destroy me if I crash, my local track doesn't have much in terms of run off.

Tons of RX8's for sale from $5k to $9k, RWD, manuel and 50-50 weight distribution.

Was looking at Miata's but they are min $13k with nearly 200k on them.
Why should it? The car's awesome and no amount of internet nay-sayers can change that. I'd love having one but they're around US$40,000 USED here where I live...so non-RX Mazda it is!

The only thing being said it's that it isn't cool. It really isn't cool but, damn, it is one fine piece of machinery! :drool:
Damn, $40k used? I could buy a newer boxster or Cayman for that haha.

The RX-8 seems like the little brother that couldn't quite live up to the big brother's status, but it still grabs my attention in a positive way. Post-facelift models kinda makes me think it's going through its awkward teenage years though.

Cool. But a low one.

I like the Mazdaspeed version more. Would give this a Meh but then again this RX-8 would be the last time we get to see Mazda produce RX cars until the RX-Vision concept showed up.
rx-vision-sidee.jpg

Cool.

If the rotary really is doomed, this made for an embarrassing funeral. It's an unattractive car with an underachieving iteration of the rotary that somehow retroactively spread its reputation for gutlessness to older NA and turbo 13Bs. It's nowhere near as charming as the RX-7s, which made up for the flaws all rotaries share by being unapologetic hot-looking sportscars. You feed oil and extra gasoline to an RX-7 because it's an RX-7.

The RX-8 aspired to be more practical and "fix" the wankel, but delivered an ungainly 2+2 profile and emphasized the rotary's weaknesses in its attempt to improve on them. Which makes its doofy celebratory triangle motif ironic.

Back